Skin Deco

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review: Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils

Cream eyeshadows are not everyone's cup of tea -- They require a certain skill to blend, they're less forgiving of mistakes and they run a high risk of creasing.
Yet, I'm a fan of them. Good ones of course. Why?
  • They act as a base to make eyeshadows more vibrant 
  • When blended properly, it creates a smooth gradation with just one product 
  • Good ones stay put the entire day 

 Read on for my thoughts on the Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils.

I've been eyeing these pencils for awhile but I was a little hesitant to buy them individually. So, when the Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencil Stash came out for Christmas, I caved and bought them. In the set there were 5 shades, 4 of which are available in full sizes:

Delinquent: A rich and vibrant purple with splashes of shimmer. It's a very beautiful color and a great base for powder eyeshadows. I used this in my 2012 V-day look.

Rehab: A slightly frosty finish medium-deep neutral brown. I was looking for a neutral cream shadow that I can use all over for my daily work makeup and Rehab was supposed to be it. Compared to my very frequently-used Paul & Joe Eye Gloss, Rehab appears a bit flat on the lids without much dimension. It's not a bad color and I use it often but I just wanted a whole lot more from it.

Juju: A lighter version of Rehab. The color is very similar to my skin color when applied. Again, it lacked dimension. I sometimes use it in the crease to blend out Rehab. As I know, Juju is not available in full size.

Sin: A frosty pinkish champagne. When swatched, Sin seems to make a good highlight shade but it sheers out a lot when blended. Out of all the colors, Sin had the least even coverage when blended.

Clash: A bright metallic teal with shimmer. Another reason why I bought this set was because I wanted to find a replacement for my beloved Rollickin' MAC Paint Pot (C'mon, it's been 4 years! Repromote!). I was counting on Clash to fill that gap but it doesn't come close at all. It's just a very different color. In terms of finish and opacity, Clash is similar to Delinquent and also makes a great base.

In terms of color quality of the 24/7 Shadow Pencils, some colors are more pigmented and opaque than others. Generally, they apply very smoothly but you'll need to act quick to blend them because they dry fast. As a result, they're not the easiest type of cream eyeshadows to blend. Being in pencil form, you get precision application but there's typically less product than cream eyeshadows in pots. To compensate, pencil form is harder to dry out despite the hassle of having to sharpen it.

Urban Decay claims the product to be smudgeproof and waterproof, which I completely agree, but they're not crease-proof. While it did stay put the entire day, I got some creasing which can't be blended out. That didn't look too pretty, of course. Still, the pencils have above average staying power compared to most cream eyeshadows I've used.

Overall, the Urban Decay 24/7 Shadow Pencils are decent but they're not great. In other words, I wouldn't buy them individually.

The Stash was undeniably good value because I got 5 x 2.5g pencils for RM126 when a full-sized one of 2.8g is retailing at RM70-something. I doubt they still carry the Stash in Malaysia's Sephora, though. Yes, my bad for being late to inform!

If you're in the US, you can check the Stash out from the Urban Decay website. They're on sale now for only $12 (marked down from $34) making the Stash an even better deal!

3 comments:

dom said...

LOL. Were these the ones I miscalculated? :D I like Clash and Juju.

Connie De Alwis said...

Yeah! Well, despite the miscalculation, it's still good value so I shall stop blaming you! ;) I use Rehab the most but my fave is Delinquent. Very very pretty.

Jyoan said...

For some reason, these are not so smudge proof for me. But I like them all the same.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy