Skin Deco

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Review: Clarins Whitening Velvet Emulsion

 
In my 4 years of blogging, this is probably the 4th version of the Clarins White Plus HP Sea Lily Enriched range that I've encountered. Every year, Clarins looks into improving the formula of their whitening range and finally, I'm sold. 

To say that I was blown away would be an overstatement but the subtle benefits of the Clarins Whitening Velvet Emulsion are hard to ignore. 

You see, whitening has always passed my radar because I'm one of those who is not keen being fair or have any problems with pigmentation. Most whitening products would go straight to mom and sadly, most don't live up to their claims.



Clarins Whitening Velvet Emulsion is a daytime moisturizer with whitening benefits. Quite straightforward, right? To be honest, I placed no expectations on this moisturizer in terms of whitening. It wasn't like I was trying to be fairer anyway.

What actually drew me in to start using this product was the texture -- light and velvety. Because I apply foundation daily, I prefer daytime moisturizers that are very lightweight in texture, absorbs readily and doesn't make my foundation budge. In my daytime regime, moisturizer is not a priority (sunscreen is) simply because I don't like my skin to feel heavy underneath all the makeup. However, the Velvet Emulsion is so light that it doesn't feel like I'm adding an additional layer to my skin. Even when I use it in between the Ettusais essence and sunscreen, my skin would just feel soft, supple and ready for foundation. One pump is enough to sufficiently cover my entire face.

While the texture alone was enough to make me a frequent user of the Clarins Velvet Emulsion, the whitening benefit, believe it or not, actually kicked in! Although the effect wasn't drastic, I started to notice that my complexion was becoming more even. Friends have also commented that I looked fairer! Fine, in my books that wouldn't exactly be a compliment (tan lover!) but I couldn't disagree.

There's also an SPF20 version of the Velvet Emulsion which I find has a slightly thicker and more opaque texture. Lyn of Beauty Cabby has reviewed it on her site and it seems like the SPF20 feels quite different from the non-SPF one. If you're keen to know how this fairs on an oilier complexion, do check out the review on Belle Demoiselle.

At RM190 a bottle, the Clarins Velvet Emulsion doesn't come cheap but for its size (75ml), it's reasonable when compared with other department store brands.

*The product featured in this post was provided by Clarins Malaysia for consideration and review on Skin Deco

4 comments:

lyn said...

I'm glad this worked out so well on you! I prefer the non-SPF version because the consistency is nicer and it doesn't pill. Didn't witness much whitening effect though but I'm not particularly bothered by that.

Connie De Alwis said...

Lyn: I was surprised that it worked! Albeit the effect was subtle, it was still noticeable. I wouldn't count on the moisturizer alone to fight pigmentation though!

Connie De Alwis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Connie De Alwis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy