Skin Deco

Monday, March 12, 2012

Getting Fit: 6 Diet & Fitness Myths

 
Hands up if you’ve heard of the following myths before:
  1. As a female, I shouldn't do strength training as it will make me look bigger and muscular. 
  2. Doing 100 sit-ups a day will trim my belly. 
  3. Dieting is enough to make me lose weight. I don't need to exercise. 
  4. As long as I exercise, I don't have to worry about what I eat. 
  5. I'm genetically big, diet and exercise won't work on me. 
  6. I'm naturally thin already. I don't need to exercise or watch what I eat. 

Have you ever heard of those myths before? 
Have you ever wondered if there was any truth in those myths? 

Check out what trainer, Jeremy Bird, has to say about those myths.

The truth about weight loss is simple – good eating habits and proper exercise. Yet, many of us are inclined to buy into all sorts of unbelievable myths in hope that they would work on us since it apparently worked on others. I’ve come across a whole lot from drinking lime juice to self-heating slimming cream to vibrating waist belts. You don’t need me to tell you that they don’t work, do you?

To start off with, I’ve narrowed down to 6 Diet & Fitness Myths that we commonly hear. Let’s see how true those myths really are…

Myth #1: As a female, I shouldn't do strength training as it will make me look bigger and muscular. 

Stength training is a very important part of a woman’s workout regime. Although cardio burns more calories than strength training during the workout itself, strength training burns more calories after the workout, for the next 24 hours. This is called the afterburn. Also muscle burns more calories than fat therefore speeding up the metabolism. -- Jeremy

Many of my female friends would not even think of doing any strength training in fear that they’d develop manly arms. Despite their warnings, I did strength training anyway. I’m not hesitant to do boy push-ups and tricep-dips. Did I get manly arms? Nope. Rather, my arms are now more toned, defined and less jiggly when I wave!

Myth #2: Doing 100 sit-ups a day will trim my belly. 

Cardio exercises and a healthy diet burn fat around your stomach, not sit ups. Sit ups tone your abdominal muscles, even if they’re under a layer of fat. -- Jeremy

I’ve definitely been into the whole sit-ups thing. Not until I started properly exercising did I realize that there are so many types of exercises for the core rather than just do the classic sit-up.

Myth #3: Dieting is enough to make me lose weight. I don't need to exercise. 

A weight loss diet can help to lose some weight but it needs to go hand in hand with exercise to maximise results. And diet alone will not get you fit. -- Jeremy

Yes, dieting alone can help you lose weight but chances are, you’re going to feel like crap. I know I did then I tried that a few years back. I was low on energy, stamina and strength. I had to be very restrictive with my food. Worst of all, it took quite a long time for drastic results to show.

Myth #4: As long as I exercise, I don't have to worry about what I eat. 

Exercise will help your fitness levels but diet is a huge factor when it comes to body composition. You can be fit but not the weight or body shape you‘re aiming for. -- Jeremy

When I started getting fit, my aim was to lose weight but I seriously thought that if I just exercised more, I wouldn’t have to change much of my diet. When I eventually knew better and developed healthier eating habits along with exercise, the results were faster and more drastic.

Myth #5: I'm genetically big, diet and exercise won't work on me. 

Any body type can benefit from diet and exercise. Changing your weight is mathematics; weight loss requires consuming less calories than you burn, regardless of body type. -- Jeremy

It’s great to accept who you are but if your weight or shape or fitness ability is upsetting you, then perhaps you should do something about it. Do it the right way and progress at your own pace. If you keep at it diligently enough, you’ll watch yourself transform.

Myth #6: I'm naturally thin already. I don't need to exercise or watch what I eat. 

We all need to follow a balanced diet and take moderate exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle. Thin doesn’t make you fit or healthy. And the only way to make those muscles toned is to exercise. -- Jeremy

Naturally thin folks are the envy of those who aren’t. Unfortunately, naturally thin doesn’t translate to being fit. So, even if you’re not looking to lose weight, there are many many ways you can still benefit from exercise and eating a balanced diet.

Have you ever heard of those myths before? 
Are there any other myths that you need to have cleared up? 


If you have any questions for Jeremy regarding fitness or diet, please don't hesitate to ask them in the comment section below.

5 comments:

Fifi said...

I heard a lot of number 1, 2, and 6. Sometimes girls would ask me about my fitness routine and when I tell them about it (which is now mostly consist of running and pilates) they don't want to believe that I almost do NO crunch/sit-ups to trim my belly and waistline. Talk about how hard it is sometimes to let go of an established (but obsolete) mindset!

Connie De Alwis said...

Fifi: I guess many just choose what they want to believe. In my case, people think that to lose weight I'd have to only eat salad or starve myself.
From you're pictures, you do look very trim. Keep it up!

I'm Yuen Ling said...

Thanks for the sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wats gonna happen to ppl like xiaxue in long term or prolly in short term, the fact that she takes diet pill which if we look into bigger picture, could be said as a drug.

Connie De Alwis said...

Anonymous: There has been a lot of publicized dangers of diet pills but regardless of whether it's "natural" or not, any pill or shake that claims to make a person lose weight may just do that is some miraculous way but it doesn't keep the weight off. Many people think that they need that "extra help" to get them started and that when they lose the weight, they would do it the right way to maintain their new weight. Of course, there are some people who are able to keep the weight off but for most, if the habits don't change and when they're off the pills/shake, they're left to fend for themselves. Because their habits have not changed, the weight's gonna come back eventually. And they go through the process all over again. They'll forever be on a diet.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy