Skin Deco

Monday, March 5, 2012

"Connie, you look tired..."

After 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep, this is as "well-rested" as I can manage. I'm aware that I "look tired". If I hear someone say that to me one more time I'm gonna go berserk!
For the gazillion-th time, I feel fine! I'm not tired! T_T It's not like I haven't been doing something about those puffiness and dark circles.

I'll show you the treatments that I've tried recently after the jump.

In the recent few months I've tried:
  • Melvita Naturalift Youthful Skin Complex for Eyes and Lips
  • Garnier Brightening Eye Roll-On
  • Clinique All About Eyes
Melvita's a brand new all-organic cosmetics line in our shores and I was impressed with their huge array of products. I was given the Naturalift Youthful Skin Complex for Eyes and Lips (RM163/15ml) to try and um, if it worked I wouldn't be writing such a post. To be fair, it wasn't meant to treat dark circles and puffiness. Regardless, I didn't experience any reduction in lines. My eye area did feel a bit more moisturized and the the texture of the eye cream wasn't greasy. I didn't use the product on my lips because the formula contains beeswax and my lips aren't very fond of that.

The Garnier Roll-On (RM24.90/15ml)  is a pretty popular product and it supposedly contains caffeine which is claimed to be a very good ingredient for dark circles. Perhaps the caffeine dosage in this roller isn't very potent because it did nothing for me either. The roller feels good to massage the eye area and it helps slightly with the puffiness but the effect doesn't last long. Out of the roller ball is a clear lightweight serum that sits well under makeup. I'm actually wondering right now if I could use coffee bags on my eyes...

Clinique All About Eyes (RM130/15ml)  was once a very popular eye product in the market. I tried it once a long time ago when dark circles weren't my concern. Now trying it again, I'm left wondering why this product doesn't work on me. Why do I have to fall into the lower percentile where a popular product doesn't work on me? Compared to the the other two eye treatments, this one has a creamier texture but it isn't heavy. I got some hydration out of it. Better than nothing, I suppose. *groans*

Fun Fact: Did you know that eye treatment products are typically 15ml and have a shelf life of 6 months once opened? In order to prevent eye infections, eye products should not be used after 6 months and 15ml is plentiful for 6 months.
 
Despite the fact that these eye treatments did squat for my eyes, I'm not saying that they will not work on others. Out of all skincare products, I'm quite convinced that eye care is the most subjective one of all. Once again, I'm already on to trying another eye treatment. I'm yet to decide if it works on me.

Contrary to obviousness, I don't have full (or even partial) makeup on wherever I go. For instance, I wouldn't be wearing makeup when I'm visiting a relative in the hospital or working out in the gym or going on a 4WD adventure. While I'm a huge supporter of makeup (hence the blog!), I don't wanna be someone who shouldn't be allowed into daylight without makeup on. I'm not looking for "naturally beautiful", mind you. I'd happily settle for "plain" as long as it's not "tired".

Do you have any suggestions for me (products aside) on how to battle them dark circles and puffiness? Or perhaps just a witty comeback for the next person that tells me I "look tired".

15 comments:

toughcookie said...

Babe, the last 2 did nothing for me either. None, nada, zilch, nil. The Melvita one i never tried. I think a lot of eye products in the market doesn't work except for those 'lifting' ones. I've tried buckets and so far am sticking to one that at least hydrates the sensitive area. Lotsa fine lines are starting to come out now and i think the best solution is to avoid drinking coffee and make sure to have enough sleep, both of which I fail at miserably *sigh*

Banannie said...

i'm curious about the clinique all about eyes. heard so much about it, but sad that it's a little bit expensive for me.. i have really dark undereye circles too! :(

Anna said...

Hi Connie. Iron-deficiency is known to causes dark circles. Maybe you can try to eat more iron rich food if you aren't already? Please let us know if that works =)

xin said...

I am not sure if there is any product that REALLY works for dark circles, but I find that Bio-Essence is not too bad, that one that has gold flakes, so far I have already used up 4 bottles, I guess it says something right? ;)

the-stars-say said...

I TOTALLY understand the whole frustration with people constantly asking 'are you okay? you seem tired?' - happens to me all the time too! Probably because I have small monolid eyes with small pupils? I appreciate their concern but at the same time, I'm sick of smiling and telling people 'No, don't worry. I'm fine. It's just the way I look!' GRRRRR

rinnah said...

At least you only get "You look tired". I keep on getting "Are you sick/unwell?" all the time. :(

Askmewhats said...

LOL it must be in our genes! I get that same comment if I have a full 8 hours sleep! I guess our eyes tend to get puffy with too much sleep or probably from the products we use at times! I learned from this "guru" that you need to massage your eyes well with the "right pressure" when you apply eye cream to "drain" the excess water when you sleep at night :)

Kim said...

I have tried a few eye creams/gels, ranging from EsteeLauder ANR (a few tubs), bio-essense (both gold and silver range), loreal, paula's choice and etc. None really worked for my dark circles and fine lines. I still use eye serum these days, for hydration purpose. As long as they don't give me millia seeds.. I'm happy! For me, sleeping "early" really help with my dark circles. On days that I sleep earlier, the dark circles are less noticeable the next day. Other than this, a good concealer is the only thing that helped with my dark circles :)

beetrice said...

I've tried Garnier and Clinique AAE - so far the only one that has worked on me is the AAE, but it'll only help with dark circles and not bags!

Trying the Naruko Eye Gelly I got from Lyn at our last swap now, and *think* it's helping..

Anyway, for those who keep telling you you look tired? Just retort "oh, but what a night I had..." with a coy smile. :P

plue said...

the last two didn't work for me except keeping it nicely moisturized. the one that did work was antipodes, which i am quite liking! 30ml size summore lol

loving Bee's answer!

Connie De Alwis said...

toughcookie: Yeah, I agree that usually lifting eye treatments tend to show more effect but not so much on the dark circles

Banannie: I'm glad that the one I tried was just a trial size. I would've been very disappointed if I bought a full-sized one and it didn't work. Perhaps you could try asking for a sample first?

Connie De Alwis said...

Anna: Ah, that's something to think about. I'm not sure if I have iron deficiency though I doubt I do because my diet contains a lot of iron-rich food. However, I do know that I have zinc deficiency. Not sure if it's related though.

Xin: Bio-essence eh? I suppose it won't be too pricey to try :)

the-stars-say: I know how you feel! It's especially annoying when you're actually feeling totally fine.

Connie De Alwis said...

rinnah: I bet you could fake sick very well then! :p I have rather pale lips and olive complexion so I get the "sick" remark at times also

Nikki: Possible! My family has history of asthma and I have many cousins with rather deep dark circles but personally I don't have asthma or any breathing difficulties. I've heard of the draining thing but I'm far too lazy :p

Kim: I should probably just come to peace with my dark circles though it would be really great to look decent without makeup on

Connie De Alwis said...

Beetrice: For me they didn't even help with circles :( LOL! I wonder how many times I can use that reasoning :p

Plue: Oh, really? Haven't tried anything from antipodes before.

Becks said...

I have problems with dark circles too, and reading the comments, I am thinking that I may have an iron deficiency! (thanks commentator!) The best way - just put some concealer on, easiest, quickest and most effective. Eye creams don't work IMO for dark circles, depuffing yes, but definitely not for color.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy