Skin Deco

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

V-Day Tutorial: "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri


"That wasn't the look Christina wore in the video!"
Mmhmm, it's not. This Purple + Chocolate look was inspired by Christina Perri's "A Thousand Years", which was also the soundtrack for Breaking Dawn.
I'm pretty sure it's the love song of 2011. After all, it was the most requested song!



Who's in the mood for love?
More on the inspiration, up-close pictures and listing of products used...

A few things inspired me but mostly it was the itch to use purple. For some very odd reason, I wanted to do a purple look. And then I thought about Alice Cullen (From the Breaking Dawn movie though I didn't watch it. Read the book) and how she'd wear a look like this. Colorful like her personality but still dark and sultry. The initial idea was to pair the dark chocolate and purple eyes with a red lip but it didn't really go so I went for stained red lips instead, which balanced out the look better, I think.

Items Used:

Eyes:-
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeshadow Pencil in Delinquent
Ben Nye Lumiere Eyeshadow in Amethyst
MAC Eyeshadow in Give Me Liberty of London (very sheer pink)
I Nuovi D27 Eyeshadow in Techno
MAC Eyeshadow in Spiced Chocolate
Scott Barnes Illumineye Eyeshadow in Night (soft black)
MAC Eyeshadow in Tete-a-Tint (soft peach to blend)
MAC Eyeshadow in Ricepaper (highlight)
MAC Pigment in Gold Dusk (highlight under brow)
Maybelline Hypersharp Liquid Eyeliner Pen
I Nuovi Pencil Eyeliner in Noir (tightline)
Red Cherry Faux Lashes in #523
Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara
Maybelline Extreme Stiletto Mascara
Shu Uemura Hard 9 Eyebrow Pencil in Seal Brown

Face:-
Shu Uemura Nobara Stick Foundation
Origins Brighter by Nature Powder in 05
Too Faced Pink Leopard Bronzing Powder

Lips:-
Chanel Rouge Coco in #26 Venise

19 comments:

Sara said...

Very pretty purple gradient! I really like this and you have amazing eyebrows.

안젤린 said...

You look beautiful..I love it..Perfect for valentine's day..

dom said...

Beautiful look, love the vividness of the purple and the gradient effect towards a warm brown /gray (sorry if it's not the right color, it looks like that in the picture). BTW random - how come your seal brown pencil looks like gray? I think I'll get seal brown next; gray makes me look like I have Scouse brows :(

Hayley said...

This is nice! Imma try it on Valentine's Day ^^
Thanks Connie!

slowbrogal said...

Such a beautiful look!!! And this song is the hits love song of the year i guess~~ Radio keep playing it all the time. Oh yeah, noticed that you have used two different mascaras. Top and bottom i assumed? :))

socialitedreams said...

love your eyebrows and the blending

Connie De Alwis said...

Thank you! :) I freshly plucked my eyebrows before shooting the video so they look neat

Connie De Alwis said...

Thanks! I thought the colors were appropriate for Valentine's day too

Bun Bun Makeup Tips said...

Beautiful! Purple is a universally suitable color for all skin tones and undertones!

Connie De Alwis said...

Awh, thanks :) I wanted the eyes to be smokey yet the purple to be bright. I was aiming at a chocolate color (neutral) which I apparently don't own! So I kinda mixed the colors. Seal brown is a greyish brown so it's cool toned but more natural than grey. At least for my skintone

Connie De Alwis said...

I'm flattered! Thank you. Would love to see your version of the look :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Thanks! Yeah, this song was everywhere! I didn't use any mascara over the false lashes but I applied the cat eyes to my actual lashes. The lash stiletto I added to the bottom lashes on top of cat eyes to give it more length & volume (contains fibers) so that my bottom lashes match my top ones better

Anonymous said...

Do post up more videos like this, it really helps newbie like me to learn on how to do a smokey eye look :)It's easier to follow the steps too!

lyn said...

Wow wee, you look absolutely gorgeous (okay, I'm starting to sound like a broken record in your comments)! That's a long list of eye makeup too! Nice :-)

Jamilla Camel said...

This is one of my favourite looks, ever. Great eye makeup!

gio said...

You look gorgeous! Love the eye makeup.

Connie De Alwis said...

Sorry for the comment spam. I was using the mobile version and wondered why they had a "reply" option to the comments. The replies are in order of appearance.

socialitedreams: Thank you! :)

Bun Bun Makeup Tips: I agree! Purple's certainly a very universal shade

Anonymous: I'm glad you like the video tutorials. Really trying my best to put up more videos. Don't have much luxury of time during good lighting ever since I started working full time :(

Lyn: Haha. I don't mind the broken record :P Yeah, I'm notorious with using many many eyeshadows for just one look. Of course, a very similar effect can be achieved with fewer eyeshadows. I'm just a bit nitpicky when it comes to blending so a lot of the colors don't really show. They're just used for blending purposes

Jamilla: Wow! That's a huge compliment! Thank you! :D

Gio. Thanks so much :)

Sue said...

love it

Sara said...

You're gorgeousssss! Look forward to looking over your blog :] ♥ best wishes*

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy