Skin Deco

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Triple Reviews: Washable Mascaras

A, B or C? 

Time and time again, you've heard me moaning about non-waterproof Western mascaras and how most of them don't work on my lashes (except ONE). It did make me wonder; how about Asian non-waterproof mascara? Would they work?

I was in for a surprise.

While the weather and my constant sweating calls for waterproof mascaras, on many occasions, I'd rather use washable ones because they're a lot easier to remove and certainly more gentle on the lashes. Sadly, the only one that I truly loved was the Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash which is far too much to pay for a mascara! And yet, I'm on my third tube... *sighs*

In our washable mascara line-up we have 2 Asian formulas against 1 Western formula. Let's see who's the winner in my books.

L'Oreal Curl Impact Collagene 

First week of using: Meh 
Second week of using: Hmmm 
Third week of using:  Not bad 
Fourth week of using: Pretty good 
Fifth week of using : Uh... 
Now: CLUMP CITY! 

The tube's not even dried up and the formula is already clumping like crazy! The brush is pretty cute with its curves. I was really starting to like this mascara and then it clumped so horribly after a month. Nonetheless, out of the lot, it held the curl best. But I can't see properly with goop on my lashes!

If I'm not wrong, this mascara is RM59.90 which is EXPENSIVE for a drugstore product. Seriously? 60 bucks for this?

Maybelline The Magnum Superfilm 

Maybeline has been a trusty brand for decent mascaras. Superfilm is the non-waterproof version of The Magnum (Fantastic mascara but I can't use it. Please read review). While it's nowhere near as good as the waterproof version, I like the fact that the formula is dark to make the lashes appear thicker.

The major downside about this mascara is that it doesn't hold up a curl for more than 3 minutes. I mostly use this over false lashes since it's washable.
 
Priced at RM35.90 

Benefit Bad Gal Mascara 

Many many years ago, I thought Bad Gal was a pretty awesome mascara but back then I had only ever used 3 mascaras in my entire life. Fast forward a few years, I've Bad Gal another go and concluded that I wasn't too far off.

Despite being Western and non-waterproof, this mascara is actually good. Of course, not Smoky Lash good but good enough to have me tote it around in my bag. The formula is dark, the huge brush adds a good amount of volume and it fairly lengthens. It doesn't have the holding power to make my lashes look perky but it doesn't weigh them down too much so the result is naturally curled lashes.

Why does it have to be a hundred bucks? The last last last time I checked, Benefit Bad Gal was RM95 RM75. I'm not sure of the price now but regardless, RM95 RM75 is reasonable for a high end brand but it's still for a mascara.  

Moral of the story: Be content with affordable and reliable waterproof mascaras. It's gonna be very difficult to find a cheaper substitute for the Smoky Lash.

10 comments:

Vanity is an addiction said...

I concur with you on the Loreal Million Lash mascara...it just clumps up so badly..I think you can consider trying the Maybelline Falsies mascara...I find them really good for drugstore standard..

~ SueHarriz ~ said...

i love entries like dis one! dis entry helps. have u tried max factor or MAC mascara? =)

Hayley said...

I agree, RM 95 for a mascara is really expensive...

jen said...

in my opinion, i personally don't like to splurge for mascaras because u can only use them for a short period of time (3 months?) & u have to throw it all away after that.. and u also don't know how it will turn out to you until you see it for urself? :)

dom said...

Haven't broken out my Bad Gal one yet, but right now I'm using They're Real. Still kinda OK for me but I wouldn't buy it again :s. The best mascara for me still is Clinique's High Impact - it just works!

Connie De Alwis said...

Vanity is an addiction: I've heard so much about the falsies mascara! That's definitely gonna be my next mascara purchase. Thanks for the rec :)

SueHarriz: glad u like the post :) I've tried 2 Max Factor mascaras (2000 calories & false lash effect) which I've reviewed. I think I've reviewed only the Zoom Lash by MAC. But I've also tried Opulash and Splashproof.

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: Expensive for sure. However, I just checked Sephora and apparently the Bad Gal Lash is now RM75.

Jen: That's very true. I can't bring myself to splurge on mascaras either. With the exception of the MUFE Smoky Lash because I love it so much. But I'll never pay full price (100+) for it!

Dom: Sadly, many high end mascaras don't get second chances because they're ultimately not that much awesome compared to drugstore. I've used High Impact sometime back but I liked Lash Power for a very long time (back when I didn't care about curled lashes)

Giselle said...

i have stick straight lashes and my favorite mascara is maybelline full 'n soft waterproof. i don't know if it will work for everyone but its pretty much the only one that does it for me

Cutelilpiepa said...

Just came across your blog & love that you do so many great reviews. Now onto mascara's, you MUST try L'Oreal's Voluminous! I've tried all the high-end brands and always go back to voluminous. A tip: I pump the wand to get air in the tube & let it dry out a little (this helps to hold the lash curl when the mascara is less wet since my eyelashes are naturally straight & I use a Sheumora curler). It makes my lashes look thicker & incredibly long. Another one I like is Benefit's they're real mascara - I use this as a base mainly & then layer Voluminous on top - i get tons of compliments on my eyes, try it! :)

Lynn said...

Have you tried the new Silkygirl mascara? I think it's called Lash Curler or something like that. Packaging and design is butt ugly but it performs better than all the mascaras I've tried :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy