Skin Deco

Monday, November 21, 2011

Review: Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation

Reading raving reviews of this foundation hardly ignited any yearning to buy the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation. I had my reasons:
  1. Nearest place to get it was Singapore
  2. Where they only carry 3 shades
  3. It's pretty sheer
  4. At almost RM80 after conversion, this drugstore foundation isn't cheap
And then I found reasons to finally buy it:
  1. I was in Singapore
  2. I surprisingly found a reasonable color match
  3. "It's like a drugstore version of Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua", said ParisB
  4. There was a 20% discount
What I regretted about this purchase was not buying this sooner *facepalm*

Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Gel Foundation is formulated to give skin a "radiance boost for an even and revived complexion". I was toying between this new formulation and its predecessor, Healthy Mix Foundation. The latter supposedly gives a more matte finish and has slightly heavier coverage but after comparing for a good 15 minutes (and pestering Xin and ParisB to choose the better looking side), I eventually settled for this one, which I felt blended a tad smoother.

The foundation comes in a slim glass bottle with a clean pump. The formulation contains litchi (lychee), goji berries and pomegranates, contributing to the fruity scent of the foundation. Isn't that blob of foundation looking so beautifully smooth....?

It looks even better on the skin!
Since I've been having less skin troubles these days, I've cut down on the amount of foundation I use. I now appreciate sheer foundations! This one in particular does a fantastic job of simply making my skin tone appear more even (note the chin area) but still allowing my natural skin to come through.

The coverage is light for sure but it's sufficient for daily wear, especially since the texture is not at all heavy. I use one pump for the whole face, applied with my fingers. It blends like a dreaaammm.... Never have I used a foundation that blended this beautifully!

I know the color in the "after" picture looks slightly pale but believe me, the color matches. I use auto mode on my camera so the color tone varies between shots. The shade I'm using is #53, which matches pretty decently on my MAC NC30 skin tone.

The label claims that the foundation can hold up for 16 hours. I don't doubt that though I still had some shine to blot off by midday which is no biggie. What's some blotting for a foundation that doesn't cake, go blotchy, oxidize or sink into lines after hours and hours of wear?

Hands down, this is one of the best foundations I have ever worn <3

Retails in the UK for £9.99/30ml (8 shades) or Singapore for $33.

16 comments:

Justine (Productrater) said...

I love the original version and will definitely pick up this one too soon. Great review.

sugar sugar said...

i have ordered this and am pretty excited to try it out since my HG foundation is chanel's vitalumiere aqua. :D

Jamilla Camel said...

This is a great product! The Bio Detox is great too - I also wear shade 53, and I'm about NC25-ish.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I was worried that 53 is too light for NC 30 but now I know that it is not.

dom said...

aiyoyo. you're not helping la connie! i'm saying this simply because i'm going to viet next month and they carry bourjois. you're tempting me to buy both! i like medium coverage better than sheer, but the gel serum sounds so much healthier.

xin said...

should have picked up one that day!

lyn said...

This is a wonderful foundation but is somehow not getting enough love from me. I need to go back to using it :-)

plue said...

damn! when i was in SG earlier i should have bought it!

Connie De Alwis said...

Justine: Thanks :) I'm keen on trying the new foundation that came out. Can't remember the name though

sugar sugar: Do share on how it compares to Vitalumiere Aqua! Both Bourjois and Chanel are under the same parent company. Could really be a dupe!

Connie De Alwis said...

Jamilla: Thanks for the rec! I'll have to look out for that one. The color's a wee bit light on me but not "white". Just brighter. I'd use a darker powder to set and it'll look perfect

Anonymous: I was very surprised that the color matched me but of course one shade darker would probably be more ideal. Still, I occasionally like my skin to look bright

Connie De Alwis said...

dom: I think they both contain healthy stuff (not a big deal to me though). I normally prefer heavier coverage too but it's still sufficient for day use. Plus it blends incredibly!

Xin: Yeah! Ask Bee to mule back for you :p

Connie De Alwis said...

lyn: Some great stuff get forgotten with acquisition of new stuff!

Plue: It's here to stay so no worries! Singapore's not that far away ;)

Baby Bee said...

HYE.....going to go to Singapore this week just want to ask you where do you bought it in Singapore...I have finish my foundation and so wanted to try this Bourjois product...thanks

Eli said...

Am sold. So getting this when I go back to Australia.

Connie De Alwis said...

Baby Bee: Sorry for not getting back to you earlier! I got it from BHG (department store)

Eli: I'm not good for your pocket, am I? :p

alizee said...

Wow, price in Singapore is really high!
You have a gorgeous skin!
i live in France, so it's easier for me to find this foundation

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy