Skin Deco

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Naked Palette Fall Tutorial: Retro Red Carpet

In the last post, I showed you this look that I wore to the My Women Stuff Readers' Choice Awards. While the smokey eyes is "signature" to me, the red lips certainly wasn't. Nonetheless, the occasion called for it and I was game!

I'm not sure what has changed but I'm beginning to accept (and like!) how red lipstick looks on me. This tutorial features the Urban Decay Naked Palette though this look is nowhere near nude!

Read on for full description of items used and the step-by-step tutorial!

Keeping within the Fall theme, I used mainly the bronze shades in the palette. I wanted the eyes to look dramatic so I smoked out the outer corners, slicked on the winged liner and wore falsies

Items Used:

Eyes:
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay Naked Palette (Smog, Buck, Darkhorse, Creep, Half Baked, Virgin, Hustle)
MAC Fluidline in Blitz & Glitz
KKCentreHK False Lashes in A200
Maybelline The Magnum Superfilm Mascara
Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara
Shu Uemura Hard 9 Eyebrow Pencil in Seal Brown


Cheeks:
MAC Blush in The Perfect Cheek

Lips:
Burberry Lip Cover in No. 19 Brick Red

Scared you there with the absence of makeup, didn't I?

Face:
Shu Uemura UV Base Mousse
Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation in #6
I Nuovi Undercover Concealer
RMK Powder Foundation EX in 103L
The Body Shop Bronzing Powder in Light Matte

Let's Begin!

Start by prepping the lid with an eyeshadow primer. The main lid color is Smog, applied with the Stila #30 brush and brought slightly over the crease line. Wipe clean the brush and blend the eyeshadow out to diffuse it into the crease and bring up towards the brow.

Using the MAC217 brush, take Buck and blend further into the crease. Then, taking the fluffy side of the #30, buff Darkhorse onto the outer corner, bringing the color slightly into the crease.

Darken the outer V with Creep and a round crease brush. After that, apply Virgin as the highlight under the brow. Brighten up the inner lid with some Half Baked. Define the eyes with a black gel eyeliner and flick out a moderate wing.

Darkening the lower lashline helps to make the eyes appear more prominent. To get a gradient, start by applying Hustle on the entire lower lashline. Then, place Darkhorse tighter towards 3/4 of the lashline. Lastly, apply Creep on 1/4 and even tighter towards the lashline, joining towards the top line's wing. Stick on full but still natural-looking false lashes and apply mascara liberally.

Falsies Application Tips

I usually curl and apply one light coat of mascara before applying falsies. After applying, I'd curl the real and the fake together and apply more mascara. Try to avoid using waterproof mascara on false lashes if you intend on reusing your lashes.


I kept the cheeks very light with only a little bit of blush and towards the centre of the cheek. The RMK Powder Foundation EX has the "glow powder" part, which I used to highlight the cheeks. The bronzer was placed only on the hollow of the cheeks and the temples.

For the lips, I first lined it with a natural-colored lip liner because I really don't have much of a lip line. Then, I filled it in with the lipstick. No gloss.

That wasn't too difficult, was it? Comes to show that you can do more dramatic looks with your Naked Palette!

17 comments:

dom said...

love! thank you for the step-by-step tutorial. will be trying it out tomorrow :) and your last picture is too adorable.

Askmewhats said...

Really gorgeous eyes my dear! OH MY! I want to date you over the weekend! *boy mode* hahahaha Happy weekend love, hope to see you again !!!!

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

So pretty! I love your smokey eye look!

gio said...

This look is beautiful! Love the lip color!

Jamilla Camel said...

A Gorgeous and GLAMOUROUS look! Thanks for sharing!

stripstrippingstripped said...

I'm finally tempted to get the Naked palette! This is such a wearable look. Could you do more looks from the Naked palette? THANKS!

❤ Ee Von said...

awesome blending! and the foundation looks really good on you! review? :)

lyn said...

GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!! Love the falsies on you too! And yes, you should step away from nude lippies every now and then. This shade is so lovely on you! Thanks for the tut, will have to try it out soon.

nicole said...

The bronze part of the eyes is gorgeous!!! Love the entire look!!! I am still trying o master the winged liner look :(

http://nicolesmirror.blogspot.com/

Bun Bun Makeup Tips said...

I have a love-hate relationship with the Naked Palette. Sometimes I find it really boring boring boring. Then all of a sudden, for one whole smacking week, it'll be the only palette I use. Lol. Lovely look there Connie! =D

Eve said...

dearest cousin, im so proud of u =)

Connie De Alwis said...

Dom: Whee! You're most welcome :) It's way past "tomorrow". How did it turn out?

Nikki: I'm more than delighted to be your "date" ;) Thanks, sweetie

Rainy Days and Lattes: Thank you! I'm a big fan of smokey eyes

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: Glad you think so! I do like the lip color but it wasn't long lasting, sadly

Jamilla: More than happy to share! Thanks! :D

stripsstrippingstripped: It's a fantastic palette to have around. It's more versatile than most people would think. I think this is my 2nd Naked tutorial. I'm keen on making more!

Connie De Alwis said...

Ee Von: Thanks! The Giorgio Armani LSF is one of my favorite foundations ever. Reason why I didn't review it is because we don't have GA here anymore :( I think they've pulled out from Asia even. Gonna be quite difficult to get a hold of it

lyn: Twin sister!! Thanks, dearie. Prior to that day I haven't worn falsies in 8 months or so. I've newly acquired some red lipsticks and I'm keen on trying more looks with them! Need to get me a red lip liner though

nicole: I thought bronze would be very Fall-appropriate and gives a good contrast to the red lips :) Glad you like it! The winged liner takes practice. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon enough!

Connie De Alwis said...

Bun Bun: I understand how it can be difficult to stay loyal to one neutral palette. When I feel bored with the neutrals, I'd mix the shades up with some color eg. green, teal, purple. But it's still a good basic palette to have!

Eve: Awh... thanks, couz! So proud that I broke away from my nude/neutral lip rut right? :p

bumos said...

Oh my gosh, u look so darned cute and glaomourlicious at the same time! Luv ur blog to bits, keep it up!

alizee said...

Just discovered your blog, and i love it so much.
Perfect eyebrows and lips! love the look!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy