Skin Deco

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nail Polish Noob: Making Progress!

Guess who's the clever girl who managed to get this done all by herself without mistakes? :D
Yes, I'm mighty proud of myself since I'm a complete no0b when it comes to applying nail polish. Even getting a single color on would require a few attempts because I'd keep messing up.

Anyway, I was lurking around Sasa last weekend and I picked up their Graffiti Nail Top polish, which is basically the poor girl's OPI Shatter.

I had some help from a couple of nail polish pros though. Let me take you through how I got this done after the jump!

How It Is Done:
  1. Apply Color Combos in CBL112 (middle) as the base color. If you have a base coat, I think you're supposed to apply that first before the base color. Add a second coat for a more opaque color
  2. One thick layer of the Sasatinnie Graffiti Nail Top in GN101 Black
  3. Seal and add shine with The Face Shop Nail Top Coat
Thanks to Nikki's (Askmewhats) wonderful step-by-step guide on how to apply nail polish, I managed to apply the base color fairly quickly and without too many streaks. Even on my right hand! A few particular tips that were very helpful include:
  • Removing excess nail polish on one side of the brush before applying
  • Applying 2nd coat only after the 1st coat is completely dry
  • Using the brush holder/cap properly (please refer to her post for pictures)
The first time I tried the shatter polish, I ended up with unsightly black crusts on my nail and upon reading Xin's (Prettybeautiful) post, I realized what I was doing wrong:
  • Apply one thick coat and DO NOT OVERLAP
This "nail art" is somewhat idiot-proof whereby you don't actually need to be neat but a certain degree of basic skills is still needed!

A few no0b tips from moi:
  • PATIENCE! Allow the first coat to dry completely before adding the 2nd coat
  • Don't try to skip the latter by applying one thick coat which is gonna take much longer to dry and won't last very long
  • When your nails are drying, try not to utilize your hands so much like opening a can drink...
  • Try not to sleep on your hands when you've just had your nails done less than 3 hours ago or you'll end up with hair patterns on your nails
  • If your base color application looks crappy, hide with shatter polish or glitter :D
  • Keep in mind that pastel colors are going to be harder to apply nicely as compared to metallic, sheer or glitter colors
  • Applying a top coat would make less-than-perfect base color application look a bit smoother
  • Don't apply polish with the fan blowing at you
I think that's all I have...

Do you have any Nail Polish Noob Tips to share?

The Sasatinnie Graffiti Nail Top (RM14.90) dries practically upon application so you have to work fast or the polish would goop up. The polish certainly works to get the shatter effect but you'd have to give it about a minute or so to shatter completely. They carry few other colors such as white, grey, pink and red.

The Color Combos polish applies a tad sheer but the color turns out nicely when layered. Honestly, I bought it 'cause it was cheap. I think Sasa's having promo now: RM3.90, get 2nd one at RM1.

12 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

I'm impressed! I'm so crap that I'd have to have this done in a salon!

Connie De Alwis said...

Jamilla: I'm sure if I can do it, you can do it too! :D

Askmewhats said...

Wow! Thanks for the special mention! Glad yOu made it!!!! So pretty!!!!

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: Thank you for teaching me how to apply nail polish properly! :D

Celeste @ Becoming Beautiful said...

Looks good! I like to use Seche Vite as well to hasten the drying process. It means I can use my hands again way faster than if I just let the nail polish dry by itself!

Connie De Alwis said...

Celeste: Thanks! Oh yeah... I could actually use something like that! Thanks for the tip! I've seen them around but it just never occurred to me

gio said...

That is so pretty! Well done!

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: Thank you! :) I'm feeling more ambitious now to try out other design that actually requires some skill

plue said...

hahahahah i still fail in my nail polish class but am doing better now with my toes :P

tip: try investing a good topcoat which dries fast, so you can actually sleep even if you have done your nails just 3 hours before. OPI topcoat dries rather fast, i actually can sleep in about 30mins time without any bedsheet marks!

Connie De Alwis said...

Great tip! I only have this one Face Shop top coat that's it :p

plue said...

haha i also started off with TFS then ventured out to other brands :P

Tine said...

Good on ya! As a nail n00b too, I find that a good base and top coat do wonders for manicures. I've never enjoyed manicures until I discovered Seche Vite. Lacquers dry in record time, and if there's a chip, you can literally press it back to (almost) normal with your fingers. It's that good.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy