Skin Deco

Monday, October 3, 2011

Daily Makeup Staples

It's no secret that I have a not-so-modest collection of makeup that's enough to last me a lifetime. Yet, some products get more attention than others. I reach for them constantly knowing that I can count on them to get the job done quick and deliver every single time.

These Daily Makeup Staples are here to stay...

Shu Uemura Nobara Stick Foundation
Using since October 2009

Believe me, it wasn't love at first sight. When I first started using this foundation, I found that it didn't sit well on my skin. Months passed and my skin became less dry and became a perfect match with this foundation not only in terms of texture and finish but also color.

The coverage of this foundation is buildable and can be adjusted for day and night. With the right brush, blending is a breeze, leaving practically no streaks, cake or creases. Sadly, it has been discontinued but I've gotten a back-up.

Ecotools Bamboo Bronzer Brush
Using since June 2010

Pair this with the Shu Uemura Nobara Stick Foundation and I get perfect coverage in 10 seconds flat. Why I've never gotten around to reviewing this brush is beyond me. It's super soft and dense with synthetic bristles that don't irritate my skin like natural bristles do. It also hardly sheds or bleeds. Only problem is that it's pretty huge, making it too big to work with liquid foundation. Here's to hoping that someday Ecotools would make a smaller version.

Origins Brighter by Nature Powder
Using since February 2011

You know how when you get sweaty and your powder rolls off you face in beige beads of sweat, leaving unsightly streaks? Well, this powder has thus far been the best at repelling sweat. I use powder mainly to set foundation and I never touch up. Yes, never. I don't bring my compact out. When I know I'll be sweating (mainly from brisk-walking to work), without thinking, I'll reach for this powder.

elf Mineral Eyeshadow Primer
Using since December 2009

Evidently, it's not the best eyeshadow primer in the world. Nevertheless, it gets the job done well enough. The primer's light and very creamy so I can blend it faster compared to most of other eyeshadow primers. My eyeshadow can stay put for a good 8 hours under normal conditions. Plus it's only USD$3!

RMK Eyelash Curler
Using since October 2008

This is probably my most frequently used product of all time. I may feel the need to try out different foundations, mascaras and even makeup brushes but this is one item that I'm not looking to replace even after 3 years. My first one went missing a month ago and I quickly got another one. It's not as seasoned but it's still wonderful.

Shu Uemura Hard 9 Eyebrow Pencil
Using since July 2010

For more than a year I've been using this pencil practically every day and have gotten it sharpened about 5 times. It can probably take another 3 more sharpening before I have to get a new one. I place great importance on eyebrows and even at times when I don't feel like wearing makeup, the least I'd do is fill in my eyebrows. This pencil makes filling-in so much easier and faster. I'm serious when I say, if only one makeup item can ever exist in my world, it would be this pencil.

So tell me,

What are your makeup staples?

17 comments:

Jamilla Camel said...

I love the Nobara stick foundation too!

Connie De Alwis said...

Jamilla: I'm quite annoyed that they've decided to discontinue it :( I generally dislike other Shu Uemura foundations

Amanda Christine Wong said...

same here connie. if i were to go out to town when i dont feel like wearing makeup, i'll just fill up my eyebrows. be damn dark circles and unsightly acnes!

xin said...

it would be my TBS blush brush :D been using it for years and it's still in good shape and it's my one and only <3

dom said...

my bareminerals full face brush - it's the only brush i've used for all my powder foundations, and definite cosmetics concealer wheel.

gio said...

Mine is Bobbi Brown Creamy concealer. It covers my very dark circles so well!

Tine said...

The Ecotools bronzer brush rocks. It's high in quality and very good in price. Score!

Me likey this topic. I curi for my blog, can? :P

ru2ann3 said...

Hi what shade are you using for the Origins powder? What shade do you think will be suitable for NC35? Thanks

Connie De Alwis said...

Amanda Christine Wong: I think I'd look weird with plain base makeup on and nothing on the eyes!

Xin: Your one true love eh? ;) It's always great to have that one brush you know you can always rely on

dom: ooh, I've never seen the definite concealer wheel. should be real good if it's such a keeper!

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: Glad you found a concealer that you love! I'm still fiddling about with under eye concealer so I just go whichever has the most comfortable texture

Tine: Dipersilakan! :D When I got the brush, I didn't think I'd like it this much. Until I used it with the foundation

ru2ann3: I use 05 Light/Medium-Warm and I'm about NC30. Perhaps you could go for 8 Medium Warm. But I'm not sure if that particular shade is available locally.

Cliché said...

Hi Connie, my makeup staple would probably be Lioele's Waterdrop BB & Beauty Treats Highlighter and then I'm off to go! Oh and also SPF lip balm (:

plue said...

shu uemura's gel blush, i use it everytime when i don't know what blush to use :P

l y n said...

I really like the Ecotools brush too and use it with mineral makeup. It buffs so nicely! Btw, remember that Sephora brush you encouraged me to get? It's not bad and I tested with liquid foundations.

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie!

Like you, I suffer from eczema. Now, I have rashes on my face. I know you already post on something about eczema. It would be great if you could post what you usually do when you have rashes, what products you use, do you keep your face free from foundation during that time or not, etc etc. Something you can share with people who has eczema on their face.

Stacey Simpson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Connie De Alwis said...

Cliche: I just acquired the Lioele Waterdrop BB Cream frm a friend and I hope it'd work for me too!

Plue: I didn't even know they made a gel blush! :p My staple blush is MAC's Mineralize Blush is Superdupernatural.But I do make it a point to shuffle my blushers

Connie De Alwis said...

lyn: Now I'll need to come up with a good excuse to own yet another foundation brush!

Anonymous: Thanks for a great post idea! I've actually done a makeup look for eczema skin and I'll post it up sometime next week :) Stay tuned!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy