Skin Deco

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New & Improved: Clarins HydraQuench Range + Facial

Out of the few Clarins products that I've tried and tested, one of my favorite products comes from the HydraQuench range. When a brand decides to reformulate a favorite, one can only cross one's fingers really REALLY tight in hope that the new formula doesn't suck.

Let's compare the old with the new and see what's the final outcome...

Similar to the previous HydraQuench range, the star ingredient of the HydraQuench range is the Katafray bark extract from Madagascar and the ever-so-popular Hyaluronic Acid. Demonstrated during the presentation was how a wet sponge would absorb better than a dry sponge, indicating that a well-hydrated skin would absorb much better compared to dehydrated skin. Naturally, I couldn't agree more. My skin care has always been focused on hydration because I've had dry skin for the longest time.

As an introduction to the new range, I was given a chance to try out the new Moisture Replenisher facial as well at the Clarins Skin Spa. I quite liked my previous experience but this time around, they've definitely kicked it up a notch. I dozed off more easily and my skin felt really good after the facial. I took the picture above (freshly washed) the next morning and I was very glad to see that my skin was still plump! And now to maintain this skin with the new HydraQuench products...

Clarins HydraQuench Cream-Melt replaces the cherished HydraQuench Cream, which I'm now using (and love) as my night moisturizer. It annoys me when companies try to tweak what's already good. Nonetheless, change is inevitable and in the beauty world, it's up to me to adjust to it.

They've changed the texture and the scent, one for the better, the other for the worse. The silky texture that feels like lotion on the skin with powder-like smoothness is a good improvement. Previously, I wouldn't wear the cream in the day since it was on the heavier side. As for the scent, I prefer the old scent that apparently wasn't liked by most users. At first whiff, the floral scent for Cream-Melt appeared to be more pleasant but after a few minutes, the scent becomes rather strong and almost offensive (similar to stale oil). But that's just my nose.

In terms of whether it is as effective as the Cream, I really can't tell because my skin has not been highly dehydrated in a long time so it's difficult to determine if there's any difference. I'd say that the Cream is a more effective as a night moisturizer because my skin feels less taut the next morning when I use the cream but it isn't necessarily less hydrated after I've switched to the Cream-Melt.

Verdict: I might just get another Cream as a back-up. Still on the fence if I can do without it.

As for the Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase, I didn't have very high hopes on it because I got an allergic reaction from the previous one.

As before, you'd have to shake to mix the dual-layer serum before applying. Upon application, this formula feels slightly oilier but it doesn't make my skin oily. I can wear it under a moisturizing foundation without problem. The smell is slightly more floral but it still had the musky scent from before, which I prefer.

The first few times I used this, my skin would itch and I'd get a mild rash but I persevered. Now when I use it, the rash doesn't surface but I do get that annoying tingly feeling under my skin.

Effect wise, it wasn't drastic but then again, my skin isn't all that dehydrated at the moment. I can, however, tell you that whether with or without the serum, my skin didn't feel much different the day after. *shrugs* Maybe the benefits are just very skin deep that I can't see them externally.

BOTTOM LINE: Were the improvements for the better? Probably, but I personally feel that they were not necessary. The HydraQuench range was already very good to begin with. Why fix something that's not broken?

Clarins The Moisture Replenisher Facial/ 60 mins (RM228)
Clarins HydraQuench Cream-Melt/ 50ml (RM180)
Clarins HydraQuench Intensive Serum Bi-Phase/ 30ml (RM200)

Note: Product prices went down but Facial price went up!

Speaking of Bi-Phase... Meet Blizzard with his cool Bi-Colored eyes! He's playful but he knows how to restrain himself. He's available...





3 comments:

xin said...

i have a mixed feeling about the new formula, especially the serum. i find that the older one worked better for me especially when my skin was in a super sahara state. now during the day, i have to use serum+cream, but during the night, cream alone is sufficient for me

Vanity is an addiction said...

Thanks for the review! I have yet to try clarins but my personal favorite product for hydration would be Biotherm's Aquasource followed by Laneige's Waterbank series..

xx

Connie De Alwis said...

Xin: I did a half-face comparison yesterday with the old cream and the new one. The old cream half definitely felt better after washing the next morning :-/

Vanity is an Addiction: Welcome! Aquasource reacted quite badly to my skin so I'm staying away from it! I tried the Laneige famous Sleeping Mask and it wasn't too bad but not amazing. Again, could be just that my skin's not in much need at the moment to see drastic differences

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy