Skin Deco

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Review: Olay Regenerist Serum + Olay White Radiance Cream

The term "drugstore skincare" brings to mind words such as "simple" and "cheap". Well, the line between drugstore and departmental store got a tad blurry when drugstore brands come up with products that are in the three-figure price range. They're no longer simple nor cheap.

Olay's been in the market for a very long time and their new premium product line is not your mom's (or grandmom's) good ol' Oil of Olay cream.

Introducing Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Serum and Olay White Radiance CelLucent White Cream.

Olay's very much up there when it comes skincare research and development, frequently incorporating new technologies into their products. It would take me a bit of studying to explain it all and I'm not keen on simply copying and pasting the facts here.

After all, what we really care about is if the products work. Many have claimed that they do. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for myself. In fact, to give the products a fair trial, I passed them on to several other people when they didn't work for me. The outcome was still the same.

Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Serum

This anti-aging facelift-in-a-bottle targets the signs of aging which includes wrinkles, sagging, age spots and loss of elasticity. I was happily on board since I had some forehead lines that I was keen on getting rid off.

The golden-colored serum contains wee bits of shimmer and has a bearable silicone-y texture. When applied, my skin immediately looked smoother and more luminous. I had pretty high hopes for this serum. Three days on, I started to develop bumps on my face which I haven't been getting for quite some time since I've discovered a regime that works. I persevered up until day five, got 2 more stubborn bumps and then I gave up. This serum is not rich at all so I'm putting the blame on the high silicone content.

I passed it on to The Boy's mom for a test run and while she didn't get any bumps, she saw little to no results.

Olay White Radiance CelLucent White Cream

Aside from lightening spots, this gel-cream promises to hydrate intensively as a day moisturizer. I quite liked the lightweight texture which feels quite comfortable in our humid conditions. An intriguing feature of this cream is the shape memory gel that's meant to "form a layer of moisture, efficiently moisturizing the skin surface and filling out the skin surface evenly, allowing light rays to better reflect off skin for a smoother and radiant glow". See, I can't even summarize! Anyway, what happens is if you alter the surface of the cream (I poked a hole), it'll go back to it's original state in about an hour. Cool huh?

My mom's right around the corner from the big five-O and she got cystic acne from this cream. Her skin got lighter but her pigmentation didn't. Instead, they appeared darker on her lightened skin.

Mom then passed the cream on to my 70-year-old grandmom and she got bumps.

I'm rather disappointed with Olay's new premium product line. Besides several hearsays, I've not come to know a true testament on the performance of the products.
So, if you've given these a try before, I'd really like to know your thoughts!


Both Olay Regenerist Serum and Olay White Radiance Cream retail for RM129.90.

*Products featured in this post were provided by P&G Malaysia for the purpose of review on Skin Deco

13 comments:

theotherworldly said...

Sounds like the gel-cream has a lot of silicones as well ...

The thing about Olay is, they often have plenty of the good ingredient (Niacinamide, to name one of them) right smack at the top of the ingredient list, but the list is also chock-full of other undesirables. I can't tolerate alcohol, mineral oil, petrolatum and propylene glycol, and these ingredients often appear in their products.

Most of the time when we buy expensive skincare we think we're paying for the good ingredients, or that we're paying for 'better' formulations because it does not include 'bad' ingredients, but actually it's about finding a formulation that suits you :)

vonzi said...

hey! is the Olay White Radiance CelLucent White Cream a Malaysia only product? I haven't heard of/seen it over here in teh states. Given its texture and the way you described it def looks like something my reptile-meets sand- skin would like.

xoxo
Yvonne

xin said...

there is something in olay that going against my skin. the products usually give me hell break out :(

Askmewhats said...

wow! I haven't really tested on Olay because I've used one Olay product way back and it gave me allergies so I did not look back eversince! Maybe this is different :) thanks for the review

Paris B said...

I tried the Olay White Radiance Serum and Cream. Cream didn't agree with my skin. Sat on it without absorbing and I think broke me out. The serum didn't break me out but i'm not seeing results. :(

gio said...

Thanks for the review, I was thinking of trying the serum but I think I'll pass now. It's a shame cos I'm a fan of their skincare products and they usually work well for me. Although some of them contain Isopropyl Palmitate in high concentrations and that always breaks me out so bad!

Connie De Alwis said...

theotherworldly: Niacinamide is the ingredient that I was really keen on experiencing and it's a shame that Olay's probably the only affordable brand I know that has high contents of it. The silicones are the 3rd or 4th ingredients. Why can't they just do without them? >.<

vonzi: I think it's Asia exclusive as with most whitening products. I think colder climates would tolerate silicones better

Connie De Alwis said...

xin: It's breaking MANY people out!

Nikki: I was really hoping for the products to work but the whole bump issues are hard to get over

Connie De Alwis said...

ParisB: Did you pass them on to your mom as well? Her skin seems to do well with the previous Olay products

Gio: You're welcome! It's highly annoying when products break it out especially when it's not likely to happen to me

Anonymous said...

I love Olay products but I avoided these like the plague. I know silicones almost can't be avoided these days in oil-free moisturisers but my skin cannot tolerate certain silicones. I prefer natural carrier oils that balance oil production and moisturise at the same time to silicones in fact, even though I'm no fan of natural skincare (too many useless or irritating plant extracts added by unethical companies just to fool consumers into thinking they're beneficial to the skin). The silicone that I find problematic in Olay and many other brands is Cyclopentasiloxane. The Skincare Board on Make Up Alley has many posters who get clogged pores from this ingredient too.

The Olay White Radiance Intensive Brightening Serum and the Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream do not contain Cyclopentasiloxane and they both work for me, although the former does not provide sufficient hydration for dry skin on its own since it's a lightweight serum. Both still contain other silicones, but I think these silicones are less likely to cause breakouts.

As an aside, I don't think there's a single oil-free sunscreen on the market that doesn't contain silicone, so it's impossible to avoid silicones in skincare since sunscreen is so essential.

tem said...

Olay cream is ery good for skin.

darlyn said...

Olay White Radiance is better that Olay natural white although its more expensive..I hope you can return it back to the market..

Anonymous said...

This lotion really did not work out fort me. it cause acne breakouts on my beautiful smooth skin. i can't wait to toss this in the bin. also when i wore makeup on top of it it started peeling out. really not for me.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy