Skin Deco

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Review: Make Up For Ever HD Foundation

I believe it was the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation that started the whole High Definition foundation phenomenon.

HD foundations in general claim to create a soft-focus effect to diffuse imperfections making skin look flawless even under harsh lighting -- on screen and off.

Read on for the review.

The very first time I tried this foundation, I was very much in love with the texture and how it made my skin looked but finding the correct shade was a chore since the counters here have rather limited number of shades.

Just by looking at the blob you can probably tell how smooth and fine the foundation is. It's not too runny nor is it too creamy. Whether I'm using a conventional foundation brush, a stippling brush or the MAC109 brush, it's always a dream to blend. Fingers probably won't work as well because it lifts off too much of the intended coverage.

Unlike here, in the States, they have a whopping 25 shades to choose from. My friend in the US, Grace, gave me half a bottle of hers in the shade #123 Desert (for light skin with olive undertones). It's a very good match for my now NC30 skin tone. It appears a tad lighter but it matches well with my neck and chest. I've tried #127 Dark Sand (for medium skin with yellow undertones) previously and it was a wee bit pinkish so I'm thinking if I were to be a darker NC35, my shade would probably have to be #153 Golden Honey (for medium skin with olive undertones).

The coverage is buildable from medium to full. It's able to cover up most of my imperfections including uneven skin tone and broken capillaries. The formula is not drying but it's not too moisturizing either so I'd say it'd be suitable for normal to dry skin. MUFE Mat Velvet would probably be a better option for oilier skin types.

Tutorial for this look [here]

This oil-free foundation gives my skin the "real skin" glow that I want. The staying power is pretty fantastic though some blotting may be required throughout the day but there's definitely no need for touch-ups. In my case, anyway. It wears comfortably as well.

RM122/30ml is not too bad of a price to pay for an awesome foundation considering other department store brands. Albeit not life-transforming, it's still one of my favorites to use especially for taking pictures.

Make Up For Ever counters can be found in KLCC and Parkson U, One Utama.

27 comments:

Hayley said...

Judging from the photo, this foundation works pretty well...
Wait til my BB cream finishes, Imma get one too!

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: It looks just as good in real life :D

Donna ♥ Baby said...

wow that foundation looks so well! you really are glowing! i hate my foundation you can totally tell i'm wearing foundation. i really need to invest in mufe hd! anyway great post :)

Donna ♥ Baby said...

LOL i ment to say 'looks so GOOD'.. who says 'so well'? haha.

Connie De Alwis said...

Donna: Lol! Change it up a lil! Yeah, some foundations do give that mask-life effect. I really like that this one doesn't

nicole said...

I have been lemming over this.... for a veryyyyy long time. I guess this is next ;p

Connie De Alwis said...

Nicole: I've been wanting to get it for so long too but never got to it because of the shade issue. I'm very lucky that my friend and I share the same shade!

iheartvintage8 said...

oohh.. you're making me want to get one!! you dont look like you have a foundation on, just good, glowy skin! I love your eye makeup too :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Iheartvintage8: Thanks! it certainly doesn't look heavy :) I did a tutorial for the look too. do check it out!

aretha said...

i thought the price is rm135? unless they lowered the price recently?

also, i find that this is not good on skin that is too dry! i have combination/dry skin and i find that it emphasizes my dry patches quite badly. but i agree that it does look good esp in photographs. =)

Fifi said...

Gosh you make me want to get this foundation so bad. Your skin looks fantastic! :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Aretha: I got the price off their Facebook page but I'm not sure if it's updated or not.
It's not a particularly moisturizing foundation so if dry skin were to wear it, it'll be best to pair it with a moisturizing primer.

Fifi: I'm not a very good influence, am I? :p Thanks. It IS a very good foundation.

luckiebeauty said...

Wow great review!
I really like the smooth and glowy effect on your skin!

xx

Connie De Alwis said...

Luckiebeauty: Thanks. Hope you find the review useful :)

Anonymous said...

hurm. do you think it can cover redness?

PrincessLisax3 said...

It looks amazing on you!.

EveryDay Makeup (becky) said...

My goodness, you look amazing before and after. You have really good skin. I really want to try the Mat Velvet.

gio said...

This foundation looks amazing on you! I love how it makes your skin glow!

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie! It looks wonderful on you! But we don't have #153 Golden Honey available in Malaysia? I'm probably around that shade too.

Anonymous said...

I've forgotten to say that my name is Rachel. I love your blogposts!

xin said...

i am absolutely tempted! my BB foundie is running low, time to look at MUFE now :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Anonymous: minor redness from broken capillaries, yes since the coverage is quite sufficient. But if you have more intense redness, you may wanna top with some concealer over the affected area

PrincessLisax3: Thanks!

Becky: awh, thanks :) I wanna try the Mat Velvet too but I'm thinking it'd be way too drying for me

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: I love the glow too :) Thank you

Rachel: Thanks :) I'm not sure about the colors that we have here. You'd have to check with the counter.

Xin: But I won't really recommend it for oily skin even though it didn't really turn me oily. Unless you're ok with heavy coverage, you can maybe check out Mat Velvet. I'm tempted to try the BB Lasting Finish foundation

xin said...

hey connie, i am re-reading this post. now my skin has gone to the dry side, i guess this might work? damn it. i can't decide, MUFE or BB? What if this breaks me out? :( I am torn. And I so need a foundie.

Connie De Alwis said...

Xin: I'd suggest for you to ask a sample from BB (they'd usually give) and test MUFE at the counter (don't think they give samples). I really like the YoungBlood Deep Sea Hydrating Complex Liquid Mineral Foundation as well. You can find it in Shins. I use it when my skin's feeling dry and irritated. If not I'd use the Madara Tinting Fluid + Powder foundation.

K said...

your skin looks gorgeous!

Megan said...

For a product that is aimed at being awesome in photographs, there is a surprisingly small amount of reviews that include before and after pictures, so yours was very helpful! I'm gonna try this and great review!!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy