Skin Deco

Monday, December 20, 2010

Review + Look: Gucci Guilty

Sex sells and Gucci knows it. As suggested by the commercial, a spritz of Gucci Guilty gets you wildly hot and heavy with a delicious man ie. Chris Evans. Though, with the Batman logo on the bottle (look closely) and the fact that the commercial was directed by Frank Miller, creator of Batman, I kinda wished that the leading man was Christian Bale instead.

Three spritzes later, still no guilty fantasy moment nor a bristly hunk in sight, I resorted to looking more like the leading lady, Evan Rachel Wood.

Can't say that it worked but hey, at least I tried!


For a seemingly simple look of glowy golden skin, contoured cheeks, dark-rimmed eyes, and berry lips, it took me many tries to nail this look and I still don't think I got it quite right. I left my hair blond for a little longer just for it and darkened my hair immediately after I was done.

The scent is one of the few that I like. It's sweet without being nauseating and it's musky without being suffocating. There's a good balance overall. It's an Eau de Toilette so the scent doesn't last 'til the end of the day but it still lingers which means if someone gets close enough, they'd still be able to catch it.

However, I feel it lacks sex appeal despite how it is portrayed in the ads. Having it on doesn't make me feel frisky and it doesn't stir up much interest in the opposite sex. I know for sure that certain perfumes have the ability to do that! Unfortunately, this isn't one of those sexy scents for me. If anything, it smells respectable.

The packaging is gorgeous but it's a horrible fingerprint magnet!

Retails for: RM217/30ml, RM272/50ml, RM355/75ml

I initially did a video tutorial for this Gucci Guilty inspired look but my files got corrupted *groans* so you're only getting the product breakdown and pictures.

Items Used:

Face:
I Nuovi Illumina Skin Illuminating Pre Makeup Base in Divine
Revlon Photoready Foundation in 006 Medium Beige
Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer in #1
Shiseido Natural Finish Cream Concealer in #3 Medium
Ben Nye Banana Visage Powder

I applied the illuminating makeup base around the outside parameters of my face since it had a bronze sheen and I didn't wanna look too shiny. I then mixed a glowy foundation with a yellow liquid illuminizer to get a glowy golden base.

Eyes:
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Strut
NYX Eyeshadow in Greyish Brown
NYX Eyeshadow in Brown
Milani Eyeshadow in Gold & Beautiful
MAC Pigment in Blonde's Gold
MAC Pigment in Gold Dusk
MAC Eyeshadow in Typographic
Giorgio Armani Eye Pencil in Black
MAC Glitter Eye Liner in Oxidate
Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara

The toughest bit was getting the eyes to look right as simple as it looks. What I did was create a brownish grey base with Strut cream shadow and Greyish Brown eyeshadow. After that, I blended Brown into the crease. Gold & Beautiful was then patted on the brownish grey base. Blonde's Gold was used for highlighting the area beneath the brow, accented with Gold Dusk just beneath the arch.

Because I didn't have an accurate enough brown eyeliner, I lined first with the black pencil and topped with the Oxidate liquid glitter liner. After that, the waterlines were darkened with black pencil and set with Typographic (soft black) eyeshadow.

I filled in my brows thin and light using the Brown eyeshadow.

Cheeks:
The Brown eyeshadow was also used to contour the cheeks and the cheekbones were highlighted with elf Healthy Glow Bronzing Powder in Sun Kissed.

Lips:
I combined OCC Lip Tars in Melange and Memento with some clear gloss (Shu Uemura Vinyl Unlimited in CL 000).

Not only was the look a bit of a challenge to create, it's also not too easy to photograph. In real life, the grey base can be acknowledged but in pictures, it disappears almost completely, making the gold look olive.

Maybe I'm losing my mojo...

13 comments:

luckiebeauty said...

Chris Evans *drool* he's a cutie that's for sure!

&& i love your makeup,well done,love the what you did with your foundation mix.

Pepper said...

Wow, the eye look is amazing! I think I know how to spent my free time later, that is trying to replicate the eye look, your version of course. I'm curious how the perfume smell, I've been trying to like perfume for women, but I always end up with guys perfume, Ultraviolet and CK Euphoria intense for man.

❤ Ee Von said...

wow the ad pic looks... raunchy hahha. and chris evans lashes look like it has mascara lol!

i think you nailed it just right! i like the golden glow on your skin. the eyes look piercing!

Connie De Alwis said...

luckiebeauty: Hehe. Thanks! The glow is quite intense. I tried using flash and the photos did not turn out good at all! Thankfully the glow showed up in non-flash pics

Pepper: Thank you! I'd love to see your remake of the look. Of course, I wouldn't suggest using as many colors as I did. I think working around an olive gold with some grey should get you a similar effect. I tend to prefer men's perfume too! Especially love the Armani Acqua Di Gio I'm not much of a perfume wearer to begin with.

Connie De Alwis said...

Ee Von: Thanks :) My blue contacts look rather dark otherwise I think blue eyes would make a better contrast. You should watch the commercial. You might be flushing after! :p Hint: Bed + 2 naked ppl = ?

Camie said...

I love ur hair color Connie... Did you do it ur self? I love this look of urs so much like a bronze goddess

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think perhaps trying darker brows and heavier black liner on the upper lash line might help....somewhat?

My 2 cents. :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Camie: Thanks :) Yeah, I bleached my hair but I've darkened now.

Anonymous: Thanks for your input. Yeah, I think a shade darker for the brows would be good. In the poster, the liner was a deep glossy brown and it was a bit of a pain trying to get a similar enough color. I wanted it to be darker without being black but I gave up trying. lol

Hayley said...

Wow, I like like like your eye make up!!
But its quite pricey ho? =_=

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: Heheh. Triple like! Score! :p Thanks, dear. Yeah, the perfume's kinda pricey considering it's an EDT and not EDP

gio said...

I love the look! The eye makeup is so pretty and your face is glowing! You nailed it!

slowbrogal said...

I love this look!! You look pretty dear. Gosh, it's been long since I last commented. :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: Thank you :)

Slowbrogal: Thanks! Well, I haven't been posting much :p

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy