Skin Deco

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Review + Comparison: Make Up For Ever HD Blush vs I Nuovi Cheek Blush

When I don't talk much about blush, it's not because I haven't been acquiring any new ones, because I have. Most of my blushes are limited edition *coughs*MAC*coughs* which I don't usually post about and the others, I simply have not gotten around to posting. That's not a very good excuse, is it? And it's the same one I'm using for eyeshadows.
Anywho, I'm here to make amends with the 5th blush review of 2010. I didn't realize it was that bad!

I became all giddy when I finally got my hands on the Make Up For Ever HD Blush. There were so many raving reviews going around and it was one of those must-have items for 2010. As I was using it, I realized its resemblance to the I Nuovi Cheek Blush. A comparison was in order.
Are you rooting for the top dog or the underdog?

The Make Up For Ever HD Blush is a new addition to their HD collection. It is "A cream blush that naturally sculpts and highlights the cheeks for a healthy glow". I bought it with the expectations of getting a seamless and long lasting blush.

Let's talk packaging. MUFE comes in a pump bottle and it was the main issue that most had even despite raving about this product otherwise. I couldn't agree more. One pump gets you enough product for at least two pairs of cheeks and sometimes, air gets trapped in there and the cream simply shoots out and lands on the floor. Allow me to point out that this blush is not cheap so the last thing I wanna do is waste it.

I Nuovi on the other hand, comes in a squeeze tube that lets you easily control the amount that you want. It's slim and practical.

Side by side, it's obvious that MUFE has a thicker consistency while I Nuovi's cream sorta melts into liquid. Blended, MUFE appears to be more pigmented. However, it dries too quickly making it difficult to blend, resulting in harsh edges. You'd have to work fast with MUFE.

For MUFE, I selected the shade #8 PDA which is a very natural color on me, exactly what I'm looking for. Its finish is matte compared to I Nuovi's Urbanite which is slightly cooler and gives a glowy finish. Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush in Soft Plum looks to be of similar color too except more shimmery. It's a pretty good cream blush but unfortunately, it has already been discontinued.

Applied, the result is quite similar but it was a lot trickier to apply the HD Blush. I had to work very fast but I kept getting streaks anyway and I'd blend harder, causing the blush to rub off. In the end, I had on more blush on my fingers than on my cheeks. I tried using a brush, which was slightly better but I still got streaks if I didn't work quickly enough. Applying the blush over powder was a lot worse.

Upon blending, I Nuovi turns into this powdery finish that's very easy to blend. I can apply it over powder and my base makeup would not budge, nor would I get streaks. Blending with a brush gives me a more precise application but I can just as easily apply this with my fingers when I'm on-the-go.

I live in Malaysia and since I'm often running about, sweating is inevitable. With MUFE, I almost always get a streak of blush missing where sweat has trickled down. It's quite awful! And unless I have a blush out with me, I can't fix it because if I tug on the rest of the blush, it'll rub off in patches instead of blending into the gap.

With I Nuovi, I can be sweating like a pig and I'd still have blush on.

Over here, Make Up For Ever HD Blush retails at RM120 while I Nuovi Cheek Blush retails for RM55. So you can imagine my disappointment knowing that I bought something that I completely did not need (color and purpose wise) plus it turned out to be not even as good as what I already had.

If you've never used I Nuovi Cheek Blush before and you don't sweat a lot, the HD Blush would not be half bad. Moreover, it does have a much larger range of colors (fourteen in the US but I'm not sure how many here) while I Nuovi has only three. But if you're looking to get #3 Truth or Dare or #12 First Kiss, I'd suggest checking out I Nuovi Cheek Blush in Fashionista or Dolly (reviewed).

14 comments:

Charming Vanity said...

Wow...the I Nouvi blush sounds pretty amazing! Definitely a cheaper and good quality option. Thanks for sharing!

Connie De Alwis said...

Charming Vanity: Yeah, I now have a greater appreciation for it

slowbrogal said...

Wow..The MUFE Blush seems to be over-rated. Now I-nouvi are better choice.

Connie De Alwis said...

Slowbrogal: Yeah... I was rather bummed because I believed that it was gonna be like nothing that I've ever tried. guess not :-/

Paris B said...

I like that green pebbly background in the first pic! A bit geli but it helps the blush colours pop :D

Connie De Alwis said...

ParisB: Hehe. It's the surface of a box that I use to keep all my sample-sized products

mint said...

I love the inouvi blush color the most. and the tube is quite a nice convenient packaging. thanks for sharing!

Connie De Alwis said...

Mint: It's quite a wearable color. I really like Dolly too. Welcome! :)

luckiebeauty said...

I like the I Nuovi one! Looks really great!

leslielovesmakeup said...

im a big fan of the HD blush, i haven't tried any other cream ones. the way i apply it is, i pump small 1/4 pumps into 3-4 circles on the back of my hand, then take sonia kashuk's flat top brush and stipple it in fast. i've cried and sweated with it on and it still stays. it is truely pigmented. i think the real trick is to find a way to use it.

xin said...

LOL @ Paris B. I thought that is some snake-skin tiles!

Inuovi is clearly a winner here, bummer for the money spent on MUFE :(

gio said...

The I Nuovi blush sounds wonderful! Too bad it's not available here. I would have expected much better from the MUFE HD blush, I guess it's just very overrated. :(

Askmewhats said...

Ok, note down , purchase INuovi blush when I visit wherever country that sells one :) thanks for this

Connie dear, Happy Happy New Year

JC said...

really wanna get my hands on MUFE but after reading this.. just wanna go try out INuovi..

thanks for the sharing and happy new year ^^

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy