Skin Deco

Monday, November 29, 2010

Tutorial: Spiced Plum Pie

Some time back, ParisB asked "Does your hair color affect your makeup choices?" and I responded that because my hair was lighter, my usual makeup choices were becoming over-the-top for me. Colors that were once a surefire to look good, no longer did.

Instead, pinkish plums became rather flattering on my seemingly fairer skin tone.
Don't worry! I've darkened my hair since so I'm only gonna look all demure for two more tutorials.

For this look, I've used the limited edition and supposedly rare MAC Spiced Chocolate Eyeshadow Quad which was retailing for $69.99. I have no clue why this palette is worth so much. Sure the colors are pretty but they're not the best colors on me. At least not when I have darker hair and skin tone. Anyway, don't fret if you don't have this quad. The colors are very much dupable.

Tutorial time!

Apply a maroon-colored cream eyeshadow (Benefit Stiletto) as a base. Using a shader brush (Stila #7) sweep a matching colored eyeshadow (MAC Sweet Chestnut) over the base and blend out at the crease.

Apply a copper-colored eyeshadow (MAC Brash) into the crease and blend the color with the lid color as well as blend upwards. With a highlight brush, buff a warm highlight color (MAC Ricepaper) on the area just beneath the brow. Highlight the inner corner with either the same highlight color or you can use something with a pink iridescence (MAC Nanogold).

Take a round crease brush and apply a matte dark brown (MAC Spiced Chocolate) to the outer V. Blend out with a tapered crease brush. Draw a slightly winged line using a black gel eyeliner.

With a precision brush, apply the copper color on the lower lash line and darken the roots with the dark brown. Line the waterline with a dark black pencil or kajal. Highlight the inner lash line with the iridescent pink. Fill in eyebrows lightly.

Items Used:

Eyes:
elf Mineral Eyeshadow Primer
Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Stiletto
MAC Spiced Chocolate Quad (Nanogold, Brash, Sweet Chestnut, Spiced Chocolate)
MAC Ricepaper
Generic Indian Kajal eyeliner
Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash Mascara
Shu Uemura Hard 9 Pencil in Seal Brown (outline)
Face powder (fill)

Cheeks:
MAC Mineralize Blush in Conjure Up
(This came out with Superdupernatural, which is my all-time favorite blush. I was contemplating it and was very glad when I managed to pick this up at the sale. It's a beautiful color albeit a tad cool for my skin tone)

Face:
Make Up For Ever HD Foundation in #123
Graftobian HD Creme Corrector in Soft Orange
I Nuovi Undercover Concealer in 4Y
Ben Nye Banana Visage Luxury Powder

Lips:
MAC Slimshine Lipstick in Bare
Urban Decay Pocket Rocket Lipgloss in Kirk



19 comments:

GARNET said...

that blush is so pretty,perfect for autumn and winter time,hope we had that color in our counter here,sighh

-AnGiEpInK- said...

Gorgeous look!..I love it..Love the colors combination that you used connie.. Love to see more tutorial from you soon..^_^..

Connie De Alwis said...

Garnet: It is, isn't it? Unfortunately it's LE but it's not an unusual color so dupes should be easy to come by

Angiepink: Thanks! Glad you liked it :) I just used the combination from the quad though.

Blovet Beauty said...

such a hot look!!

AnnaYJia said...

you eyes come alive after you put on the lens and mascara ! niceeee ~~~ What lens you wearing ya ?

Kahani said...

Eek so pretty! =D

arsyparsy said...

gorgeous! i will definitely try this look out :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Blovet Beauty: Thanks :)

AnnaYJia: Yeah, mascara and lenses make a huge difference! I'm wearing the GEO Nudy Grey

Connie De Alwis said...

Kahani: Hehe. Thanks, babe. You saw the look in real life wert!

Arsyparsy: Thank you! Feel free to upload your version on the FB page if you do recreate it :)

mint said...

I love the look! it really suits you :D which lens do you have on? I think it looks perfect with the makeup.

Connie De Alwis said...

Mint: Thank you! They're the GEO Nudy Grey :)

missroum87 said...

You always come up with beautiful colours combo! I'm inspired to recreated this but must have sweet chesnut first hehe.

Angel Valerie said...

I always thought purples and plums look horrendous on me and I can never pull out a look like that since my dark circles are horrible. Purples and plums tend to make my dark circles more obvious

But this look is simply beautiful that Imma gonna try it out!

Loving your new hair colour!

gio said...

This is a gorgeous look, and very autumnal! I love the colors you used, they are beautiful and really suit you.

❤ Ee Von said...

you wore this look on saturday at the bee! right right right?? :D gawjusss!

beetrice said...

I am SO going to attempt doing this for Christmas this year - got a pair of aubergine (of course!) heels to break in.. :D

beautytipshub said...

really like this post..Want to hear more from you in future @beautytipshub Thanks for this one:)

Suneetha said...

Connie, this look is so pretty, where you got the eyeliner from??

Farhana said...

i <3 ur tutorial so much!! read my blog too and follow.. it's just an ordinary 15 years old gal who loves mke up.
http://life-is-not-so-boring.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy