Skin Deco

Friday, November 5, 2010

Because I'm My Biggest Fan

If you've been following the Skin Deco Facebook Page updates and my Twitter or you may have just come across it by chance, you may have noticed that my very much photoshopped face and body appeared in this month's issue of Female magazine.

Because I'm my biggest fan, I've created a special "Features" page dedicated to showing you that Skin Deco and I have been featured? Oh dear, I am self-centered. I guess if I wasn't I wouldn't have started this blog in the first place, would I?

Read on to find out where else I've recently been featured in

Female Magazine contacted me several months back and deemed me beauty-obsessed enough to grace their glossy page. The photoshoot was a surreal experience as I posed awkwardly and held my smile for about 80 frames. Although, the tiring part was having to pack all of my makeup into suitcases so that I can bring them to the shoot and the worst was having to unpack...

The article made me seem rather self-indulgent, partly because they only published certain quotes, and they photoshopped off my BCG vaccination scar (which I personally think gives my arm character!). For your information, I didn't do my own makeup which would explain why I look "different".

Gosh, I sound really ungrateful, don't I? Well, I'm flattered that someone took notice of my obscenely huge stash of makeup but it's not necessarily something to be proud of, I suppose. Nevertheless, it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

It was a great honor for me to share a page with two of my blogging-turned-real-life friends, Xin and ParisB, in an interview with theSun newspaper . We talked about how we got into blogging about beauty and our experience overall. The quotations were not completely accurate but hey, it wasn't a taped interview so anything goes!

Looking through the list of referrals, I came across this feature on BettyConfidential.com and was pleasantly surprised that out of so many makeup tutorial blogs out there, they shortlisted Skin Deco.

Another unexpected feature was through the Pantene Makeover Party that ended up being an editorial shoot. There's a picture (two in the actual paper) of me in the The Malay Mail so yeah... weird.

25 comments:

vixen said...

Connie, you always look gorgeous, but may I just say that they should've let you do your own make-up? You just do it so much better haha they should've left it to the expert ;)

And congratulations! Loved the shameless plug page :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Vixen: Awh, thanks :) Well, I didn't wanna seem like diva and I thought I could trust a professional makeup artist with my makeup. I did do my own base makeup though with the excuse that my skin's sensitive. Haha thanks. very shameless indeed!

Eli said...

Congrats on yet another feature! I have to ask though: Did they photoshop you to look Chinese or was it the camera angle? I think you look better untouched. =P

Connie De Alwis said...

Eli: Thanks, babe :) I doubt they were trying to make me look Chinese. My name indicates that I'm not. Come to think of it, I was the only "non-chinese". Lol!
It's the makeup I tell you. The eyebrows were too thin. They kinda elongated my eyeshadow. false lashes did nothing because they just stuck them on without curling and applying mascara. no mascara on bottom lashes either. In real life, my eyes didn't pop and in pictures, they sorta disappeared all together. Bad enough that my eyes go tiny when I smile!

Blovet Beauty said...

Congrats! Way a Treat to see yourself on female!!

Connie De Alwis said...

Lane: Thanks! :)

Leira Yann said...

I need to get this month's issue

Arrie said...

congratz connie! xoxo

Paris B said...

Yes they should definitely have left the makeup to you in Female! Congrats on all the features. You worked hard for it so no need to be shameless about plugging yourself *hugs* :)

Mirna said...

Congrats Connie!
I'm proud of you.

Donna ♥ Baby said...

THATS AMAZING! congrats!! i hope i get featured one day too hahah that would be awesome.
you deserve to give yourself praise :) dont worry about it!

Jen said...

congratulations on the feature! it was a fun read :)

Hayley said...

Congrats dear! Imma get myself an issue now~

Connie De Alwis said...

Leira: Hehe, other than that page, it's not a bad read! very thick magazine...

Arrie: Thanks! :)

ParisB: *hugs back* Well, I had awesome friends who support me :) I'm already worrying about who's gonna do my makeup for my wedding when I'm so fussy about people doing my makeup... And I can only imagine that I'll be even fussier with years!

Mirna: Awh, thank you!

Connie De Alwis said...

Donna: Thanks! Well, when I started blogging, I had no expectations so you'd be surprised at what could happen! Just as long as you keep doing what you love and for the right reasons

Jen: Thank you!

Hayley: Thanks! Haha, I'm so flattered that ppl are buying the mag for the article. I think I've been helping Female to sell mags. They ought to give me a commission of some sort >_>

Tine said...

Congratulations Connie! They should have just left the makeup to you; you would have done an even better job than the makeup artist did :)

G. said...

You go, girlie!! I love hearing about all your success!! This is awesome and SO well-deserved! I adore you (but you already knew that). And I think you look stunning in that photo, even though someone else did your makeup. :) <3

lyn said...

Congrats, Connie! This is excellent news and extremely well deserved. I am so happy for your success :-)

Vinnie said...

hei, congrats... u've become a celebrity...

Connie De Alwis said...

Tine: I'm so full of myself, aren't I? :P well, after years of experimenting on myself, I'm confident with what I feel looks best on me.

G: Awh, thank you! Well, there are not that many beauty bloggers in Malaysia so I assume they didn't have that many to choose from to begin with!

Lyn: Thank you! And you gotta get back on the bandwagon! I love and miss your posts *pouts* :(

Vinnie: Thanks! I'm HARDLY a celeb. If I was I'd be living the high life but alas, I'm just an average girl with typical problems

gio said...

That's amazing, congrats!

xin said...

it's a bummer that now you looked not-yourself when you are printed on the mag :S

toughcookie said...

it's ok to feel good about your achievements because you've earned it, no matter how small, vain or self-indulging you may think of them. it's yours! so indulge... congrats on the much publicities you received... wahh... i also tumpang proud to be friends with a celebrity ;P

cecobi said...

Congrats Gurl :3

Am proud of you!! Going to grab the mag soon >_<

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) said...

This is way cool!!! Congrats!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy