Because my resident-male (literally) is phobic of skin care, here to enlighten you about the L'Oreal Men Expert Pure & Matte Anti-Mark Moisturizing Gel Cream is male skin care enthusiast, Cecobi.
Target Market: Men who have concerns with acne spots and scars
The claim: Helps by doing two things: (1) To brighten post-acne marks and even out skin tone, and (2) To provide relief by reducing the appearance of acne marks
For someone that has been struggling with acne and been under two courses of Accutane, a product that is gentle yet effective to control the acne is like a miracle, HG (Holy Grail) product!. It’s a fact that acne is hard to cure but luckily peeps, it is controllable. However, even when the acne problem is under control, post-acne brown spots (hyperpigmentation) or worse, hollow acne marks (ice-pick pitted acne scars) will be another problem that comes to mind.
So when our beloved Connie (blog “taukeh” aka “boss”) offered me the chance to try the new L’Oréal Paris Men Expert Pure & Matte Anti Mark Moisturizing Gel Cream, I was excited but uh oh... I was hoping that this product did not have Salicylic Acid as their main ingredient, as my skin is quite sensitive to it and of course, I’m one of those acne sufferers who only has faith in Benzoyl Peroxide after all these years. Unfortunately, it did have!
But hey, scepticism aside, I still wanted to give this moisturizer a go as the L’Oréal Paris Men Expert line has this special place in my heart, especially their godsend L’Oréal Paris Men Expert Hydra Energetic Eye Roll-On (that would be another coming review!).
For starters, this moisturizer comes in a handy pump bottle (think Olay Total Effects) with their signature Men Expert’s silver and bright orange colour. Applied together with my usual 4-step regime (cleanse, tone, moisturize and suncscreen) for almost 2 weeks and I’ve come up with this sum:
Cool, clear gel texture that vanishes upon contact with skin
Fresh, minty with a bit of a ‘hair-gel’ kind of scent (wonder why most men skincare products tend to have this smell?! Me NO likey T_T). Luckily, the scent gradually vanishes when you get used to it
- Managed to kept my skin matte for a good one hour (this is from someone with ultra-oily skin)
- The cooling gel texture is godsend especially in our hot, humid climate. It also managed to keep my skin hydrated yet tightened due to its oil control properties. Not sticky and it really does leave the skin smooth and primed (may be due to the dimethicone* in it) *mainly used in makeup primer and foundation for the glide-on capabilities
- Affordable, RM 29.90 for 50ml. As usual, men are quite kedekut* when it comes to spending for something that is used for their faces (metrosexuals aside). *stingy
- The ‘hair-gel’ minty smell is quite a turn-off for something that you put on the face
- Does not contain SPF (this is where you'd need to use a sunscreen after you moisturize). Some sunscreens can be somewhat oily and this will conflict with the oil-control benefit of this moisturizer
- As for the anti-marks capabilities, it may take more time for it to work as for me, who’s been using it for only two weeks, there has not been much improvement on the appearance nor the texture of my post-acne brown spots
4 out of 5
Even though this moisturizer does not have SPF plus it does contain fragrance (sensitive skin alert!), it really gets the job done when it comes to moisturizing and oil-controlling without leaving the skin feeling sticky and heavy, just smooth and primed. Also, note that even though this moisturizer may have the anti-blemish benefit from the Salicylic acid ingredient, this moisturizer is more for those who are concerned with prevention of blemish marks and not so much for acne control.
Retails for RM29.90/50ml at leading pharmacies and healthcare outlets
Ingredients: Aqua/water, alcohol denat, glycerin, dimethicone, silica, salicylic acid, sodium polyacryloyldimethyl taurate, isohexadedecane, methyl methacrylate, crosspolymer, mentha piperita ectract / peppermint leaf extract, sorbitan oleate, zinc gluconate, sodium hydroxide, phenylethyl resorcinol, poloxamer 338, disodium edta, xanthan gum, polysorbate 80, acrylates/c10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, parfum/fragrance (B432370/1)
A 20-something who adores good-looking skin just as much (or maybe more?) as he adores Malaysian Pop Princess, Siti Nurhaliza. He slaves over his skin to keep blemishes and oiliness at bay while always on the hunt for the most ideal products to make his skin flawless.