Skin Deco

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Western Mascara Review: Almay Intense i-Color Mascara + Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof

Queen of mascaras, B, was sweet to give me two Western mascaras to try out and yes, I segregate my mascaras. If you've read some of my previous posts regarding Western mascaras, you'd know what I mean!

This time, I'm here to be proved wrong by two drugstore volumizing mascaras -- Almay Intense i-Color Mascara and Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof.

Believe it or not, I actually like them *GASPS!*. Read on for the full review.


The Almay Intense i-Color Mascara in Black Flash is formulated to enhance the appearance of brown eyes using light Interplay technology. I don't know how the technology works but I do know that Almay has several types of black for this range, each catered to different eye colors.

The brush is pretty big but (lol. big but) it has a pointed tip with long brush bristles. Every lash gets coated and separated including the bottom lashes.

What I love most about this mascara is the fact that it curls lashes without needing an eyelash curler. That’s a very rare feature for a mascara! The curl looks natural and holds up throughout the day. For a more dramatic effect, the mascara can be layered on but at times it may turn clumpy. It’s not stated on the package that this mascara is waterproof but I’ve experienced no smudging or flaking. It’s non-washable so you’d need to use a makeup remover to remove this one.

I know it doesn't look all that impressive in pictures but this is one of those mascaras that I reach for often and tote around in my bag. The mascara lengthens and thickens lashes modestly, which I really like for daily use.

The only thing that I don’t like about this mascara is that it dries out too quickly and then it’d start to look flaky. But then again, it could be because I’ve been using this mascara so often that it dries out faster than my other mascaras do.

For daily use, this one’s a keeper.


This has got to be one of the most popular drugstore mascara available in the Western market. The Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof Mascara. There are several other variations in the Lash Blast range -- Length, Luxe, and Fusion. The color that I have is in Very Black.

The biggest issue with this mascara is its obscenely massive brush. Look at it. It’s huge! The silicone brush has short stubby bristles that don’t comb through lashes well. It’s also almost impossible for me to coat my bottom lashes without getting mascara all over the place, which means I’ll always need cotton buds on hand when I use this mascara. Even the tube is super bulky.

This one’s waterproof and was relatively difficult to remove. Waterproof formulas repel water thus, it prevents water droplets in the air from weighing the lashes down which is often the cause of non-waterproof mascaras not being able to hold a curl. For that reason, I have doubts that the non-waterproof Lash Blast would be able to hold a curl just as good as this one can. However, this "theory" may not apply to all non-waterproof mascaras. My Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash holds a curl pretty well!

The effect is quite impressive as the mascara gives me significantly lengthened, individually thickened lashes and holds up the curl insanely well. My eyes look completely opened up – as though I’m surprised. Constantly. A rather peculiar expression to hold, don’t you think?

Despite how well the mascara worked, I just couldn’t deem it a favorite. The humongous brush itself was unbearable and I guess the mascara made my lashes lack wispiness. I like dark, thick, curly lashes that flutter. The Lash Blast makes my lashes look straight and stiff. It doesn’t look bad, as you may agree, just weird.

Almay Intense i-Color Mascara and Cover Girl Lash Blast Waterproof Mascara retail at Drugstore.com for USD$7.49 and USD$8.50 respectively. Both brands are not available in Malaysia. They're available in Australia so if you have friends there, you know what to do!

13 comments:

Charming Vanity said...

The cover girl lash blast definitely looks really good on ur lashes. They seems great in adding lengths to the mascara.

xx

Connie De Alwis said...

Charming Vanity: Yup, it did lengthen despite being a volumizing mascara. Their lengthening Lash Blast has fibers in them, if I'm not mistaken. not too keen on fibers myself

Jen said...

Wow the Cover Girl mascara looks impressive. I wouldnt mind looking surprised for a few hours :P

Connie De Alwis said...

Jen: Hehe, it'll look especially in pictures but in real life, not so good!

JC said...

Almay Intense i-Color Mascara here i come ^^ thanks

Connie De Alwis said...

JC: One of the few Western mascaras that I enjoy using daily!

gio said...

The cover girl mascara looks lovely on you but I don't like the wand either. It's too big. The Almay one looks nice too.

Isabel said...

Your lashes really look 'blasted' with the cover girl mascara lol

Anonymous said...

how does the cover girl last blast wp compare with maybelline magnum xpress? cos the effects of both look similar to me from the photos.. i've been eyeing these two mascaras for a long time and can't decide which to try first.

-Mandy

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: With the short lashes that I have, I always prefer a smaller brush. bigger isn't always better!

Isabel: That's an appropriate way to describe now that I look at it. good eye!

Mandy: I prefer the Maybelline Magnum for sure because of the brush and also the formula is not as thick. gives the wispiness that I'm looking for.

❤ Ee Von said...

nooooo! don't buy from aus! price is total rip off! AUD17 (around there) for one freaking tube super not worth it! better get it from sprees

B said...

Hey mamacita! So glad to hear that those mascaras didn't disappoint you. Lash Blast looks amaziiiiiing!

Annie said...

very nice :) i have one more western mascara that you MUST try if you like the cover girl lash blast. Try the Maybelline The Falsies in waterproof, I LOVEE IT SOOO MUCH when the Lash Blast used to be my favorite.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy