Skin Deco

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer Cream

Nikki's posts can be very persuasive and her amazing before-after pictures did me in. Thanks to Xin who picked up the Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer Cream for me when she was in Korea! Don't worry, this one's easily available in Malaysia, just a tad more expensive.

Read on for the full review and MY before-after shots.

Skinfood believes in makeup that's good for the skin and they didn't put the word "Salmon" in the name of this product without a reason. This concealer contains -- VEGAN ALERT! -- Salmon oil (rich in Omega-3 and Vitamins A and E) that helps moisturize your under eye area as you conceal. I doubt that the amount is sufficient to make any difference at all but hey, if you aren't a skeptic like I am, you could experience faith-healing! By the way, the concealer doesn't smell like fish. I checked.

As you can probably tell just by looking at the jar, this peachy concealer is creamy. One dab with your finger will pick up ample of product (enough for one eye if you have a mild case) that spreads like a dream. Pat pat pat and the concealer will look streak free. The pot's not only pretty, it's huge too so the 10g will last you!

The result is rather impressive if you're not expecting to completely erase your dark circles rather, to even out the color and brighten your eye area. My eye area did not dry out from it, my lines did not accentuate and the staying power was good. I was pretty much settled that this was gonna be my newest favorite concealer.

Sadly, in time, I found a few things that I didn't like. Despite getting the darker color in #2 Salmon Beige, it's still a shade too fair than how I usually prefer my concealers. If I got too tanned, I can pretty much forget about using this concealer. Also, at times, the concealer can give a pink cast that would look oddly cool against the rest of my warm complexion. Ok, it's not a big deal and I doubt anyone could even notice it but when something seems "off", it irritates the hell out of me no matter how petty.

In the end, I had to treat this as a corrector rather than a concealer, which means I'll use a light layer of this first and then top with a concealer that is closer to my skin color. Nevertheless, this concealer gets used quite often but I rotate it with the Graftobian HD Creme Corrector in Soft Orange. If only Skinfood had Graftobian's color!

Skinfood Salmon Dark Circle Concealer retails at all Skinfood counters and outlets for RM46.90/10g.

16 comments:

donnarence said...

i want to try this too.. but i really want a medium yellow toned concealer that will suit my skintone better...

Connie De Alwis said...

Donnarence: I think it's pretty hard to come by a medium yellow toned concealer! At least the yellow ones that I've seen are all light. The only one that I can think of at the top of my head is Benefit's You're Bluffing or Lemon Aid but it's marketed to even out redness.

Askmewhats said...

You are right Connie, I was going to tell you to use it as a Corrector, i have a feeling the shades available for this Salmon Concealer will give you issues as it does look a bit off to your skintone! But wow..I can totally see your before and after pix and I'm amazed too! Aawww, thanks for trusting my judgement !

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: It's a bummer that Skinfood doesn't carry more shades. Although it's mainly an Asian brand, it's gaining popular in all parts of the world.
Well, you made a convincing review! :D

Fifi said...

What a great and thorough review! I think I'm going to pass on this then. It's probably too light for me.

Charming Vanity said...

Thanks for the review! Might be checking them out real soon. =)

xx

Connie De Alwis said...

Fifi: Thanks! It will certainly be too light for you :( I think you can try Make Up For Ever or Bobbi Brown. I remember them to hv darker correctors

Charming Vanity: Welcome! Hope it works for you too :)

Sue Lynn said...

Finally! Heard lotsa raves...Really need to try this!

TheBalm's version is too thick & drying; the NXY Pot thingee is ok, but I'm VERY much sold on the Salmon oil!

In fact I was just telling EeVon I desperately NEED to invest in my very 1st eyecream!!! Any recs?

*been scrutinising my face lately and **gasps** I noticed lines under my eyes*

PS: The Liese Cocktail was sold out T_T

❤ Ee Von said...

I NEED A CORRECTOR! everything sounds quite perfect! definitely checking this out. thanks for the review!

Kahani said...

Was planning on trying this out after my BB concealer runs out as I want one that is slightly pink based. Thanks connie!

Shopcoholic said...

i also use this as a corrector. I apply a thin layer of this before using my MAC studiofinish concealer =)

Connie De Alwis said...

Sue Lynn: I have theBalm too and yeah, it's kinda drying but it's still ok. I never liked the NYX one! Haha, I was partially sold on the Salmon Oil too :p I'm not the person to ask about eye creams. I'm yet to find one that I think actually works!

Ee Von: Since you're not dark, this should suit you well! you're welcome :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Kahani: Welcome! I like everything about this concealer except for the shade. blergh. All I'm asking is ONE shade darker!

Shopcoholic: I find that to be the best way to use this concealer for warmer skin tones

xin said...

ahh..just like my BB concealer, i am using a corrector too! at the price of the big pot, i think it's pretty good already, even better when it is a korean price

Connie De Alwis said...

Xin: I've only tried the BB one once. I liked the corrector but not the concealer. Oh yes. The Korean price is awesome. Almost half!

celline08 said...

Great review. I wanna try this concealer:))

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy