Skin Deco

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Western Mascara Review: Lancome Virtuose Precious Cells + Urban Decay Skyscraper

You're probably wondering why I bother trying Western mascaras when I'm almost always complaining about them. This pair is not that bad but all the same, I would not pay full price for them. Just bare with me on this. The next pair of Western mascaras will be getting a great review.

This time, we're looking at two lash-caring Western mascaras, the Lancome Virtuose Precious Cells Mascara and Urban Decay Skyscraper Multi-benefit Mascara.

Read on for reviews by a very picky mascaraphile with high expectations.

Ugh, I can't spell. Sorry. It's Virtuose

So, I don't think the Lancome Virtuose (length) Precious Cells mascara is all that "Western". Yes, the brand is Western but I believe this particular mascara is Asian. There were a lot of Japanese words on the packaging and it's nowhere to be found on the Western Lancome website. There's Hypnose (volume) Precious Cells in the UK and Definicils (high definition) Precious Cells in the US *shrugs*. The added "precious cells" basically means that the mascara contains ingredients that nourish the lashes and reduce fallout.

Does it perform? I can't say yes but I can't say no either. While the mascara did give me length, it wasn't the kind of insane length that I'm used. It coats every lash but did little for volume. The curvy brush lifts up lashes but doesn't hold the curl. That's only if you allow it to dry significantly before adding another coat. Because I can't stand skinny lashes, I use A LOT of coats which means more drying time in between. The effect below took about 4 coats and 15 minutes. Still not spectacular. Ok, it'll probably hold up the curl if I didn't use so many coats. Nevertheless...

If you don't allow the mascara to dry between coats, your lashes will look totally whacked. We're talking clumping and the top bits will come off making your lashes look disgusting.

This formula is non-waterproof and washes off with warm water. However, I find the formula to be a tad sticky and doesn't come off properly with water alone thus, I prefer using a makeup remover. Getting this off is no picnic for me because the formula seems to irritate my eyes when it gets in, making them water.

Suffice to say that while the effect is not that bad, it's not worth RM93. Retails at Lancome counters.

Because I believe in second opinions: ParisB's review on Lancome Virtuose Precious Cells

There are many reasons to like this mascara. Firstly, the packaging's sleek and funky. I love that it has this weird matte rubbery feel to the tube and don't get me started on the purple squiggles. The brush is the silicone type and it's slim. Doesn't that look like it'd be perfect for Asian lashes?

Unfortunately, the formula fell short. You do get everything that the mascara claims to do -- lengthen, strengthen, separate, curl, brighten, and thicken. Except on a much much smaller scale. Like the Lancome Precious Cells, the Urban Decay Skyscraper too contains lash-caring ingredients.

The brush is a joy to use and I like how my lashes look with this mascara even though the effect isn't va-va-voom. I can coat every single lash and they look neat, making it a pretty good natural mascara for everyday use.

Retails on UrbanDecay.com for USD$22.

Because I believe in second opinions: Muse's review on Urban Decay Skyscraper

11 comments:

theotherworldly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
germaine said...

The effect of the urban decay ones look similar to the effect I get from revlon beyond natural mascara. But I don't think the local drugstore carries it. i got mine in the alliance warehouse clearance last december. It does wonders with volume but it doesnt make my lashes look clumpy but instead it looks fluffy. it has a rubber wand that can bend too. I got mine at RM5 only:P

Connie De Alwis said...

Theotherworldly: No, it's not off topic at all! I'm very excited to hear that you're getting results from those lash serums! I've seen that raisis serum around for RM20 but now they're nowhere to be found :( where did you get yours? I'll need to check out the Canmake one at least!
Btw, very cool that you started a beauty blog! I've been hoping for u to start one :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Germaine: I wonder why they have it at the sale but not at the counters :-/ but I do know that they discontinued some of the beyond natural products. you're lucky you got a functioning mascara! The last time I got a mascara from warehouse sale, it was all dried up :(

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) said...

Ok now I think western mascara is really crap. :)

❤ Ee Von said...

I don't like the look of the lancome one, the UD one looks a lot better! Neat! How many coats was that?

Connie De Alwis said...

Jojoba: Some of the best mascaras are Asian! :D

Ee Von: I much prefer the UD one too but it's not one that I'll pay full price for. That was 2 coats

gio said...

I like how the UD mascara looks on you, but I understand why you wouldn't pay full price for it. The result is kinda natural, but lovely.

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: The only mascara that I can justify paying a high price for is MUFE smoky lash. So, unless a high end mascara can perform better than a drugstore one, they're really not worth it! Especially for a product that has such a short shelf life!

Ere said...

Organic wear, give it a whiff, i even had a friend smell my eyelashes, haha Organic wear, give it a whiff, i even had a friend smell my eyelashes, Thanks.
best natural mascara

hostess milano said...

Very nice information about mascara! It is really very helpful for us. Thanks for such good post.
hostess milano

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy