Skin Deco

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Review: Underarm Whitening Skin Care from Wakilala

There are thousands of skin care options out there for the face, hundreds for the body, and a handful for the vah-jay-jay. How often do you come across skin care for the underarms?

A common problem that many Asian women face is underarm darkening and there’s not much we can do about it. I only became hopeful again that I can lighten my underarms after using LUSH Porridge Soap. And then I got greedy.

When I was introduced to the Wakilala Clear Wash and Bright Up Essence for underarm whitening, I caved.
Read on...

Although you can purchase the Wakilala Clear Wash and Wakilala Bright Up Essence separately, they complement each other and since they were on sale, I got them both.

The citrus-smelling cleanser is a thick foaming cream with exfoliating micro beads. Following the on-pack instructions, the cleanser is applied on dry underarms and then massaged with wet hands. You’ll get heaps of lather so only a pea size is needed for both underarms.

The micro beads are not very abrasive compared to the Porridge Soap. After cleansing, my underarms feel fresh, smoother and visibly brighter. Since using this cleanser, I’ve experienced less ingrown hair bumps, which I often get from shaving.

Think of the Wakilala Bright Up Essence as a toner for your underarms but it really does much more than that. I was advised by the SaSa salesperson to alternate the cleanser and essence because using the essence directly after the cleanser may cause some stinging.

This essence is also supposed to double as a deodorant and antiperspirant. Swipe a cotton pad soaked with the essence on the underarm area and you’ll be able to see some gunk on the cotton pad. It’s gross and surprising at the same time just as you thought that you’ve cleaned yourself well enough, you still get gunk on the cotton. There’s a cooling sensation that lasts for about an hour.

At the end of the day my underarms don’t feel *coughs* moist or stinky so I guess it does work as a deodorant and antiperspirant. Not too bad right?

Nivea Ad

I’m quite impressed with both products overall. The whitening effect is only to a certain extent as it is a result of the effective cleansing rather than making the skin fairer than it originally is. Nonetheless, having cleaner and brighter underarms, I feel more comfortable wearing sleeveless clothes. Flashing my underarms with enthusiastic waves (think whitening deodorant commercials) would require further whitening so I’ll not be doing that anytime soon.

Wakilala Clear Wash (RM40.90/90g) and Wakilala Bright Up Essence (RM43.90/120ml) can be purchased from SaSa outlets and Aeon Wellness outlets.
Also available from Bobodave for USD$20.90 each.




15 comments:

Gaby said...

I've never came across skin care for the underarms! I didn't even know it existed LOL. Thanks for sharing (=

rhaindropz said...

i used Nivea Rollons (^_^)

Hsu Jen said...

I've been waiting for someone to review these 2 products! The clear wash sounds useful. Am always very conscious about lifting up my arms haha.

❤ Ee Von said...

if i haven't read this review, i probably would never even think of buying cos it's kinda exp! i've been very bothered by the 'bumps' and don't exactly know what to do, this product sounds very promising. thanks for the review!

Connie De Alwis said...

Gaby: You're welcome! I wasn't familiar with any skin care for the underarms prior to discovering wakilala

rhaindropz: I've tried the nivea whitening roll on before but didn't quite like it because i'll get some kind of white rubbery bits from the deodorant :-/

Connie De Alwis said...

Hsu Jen: I've wanted to review it for a long time! I tried using regular exfoliating facial wash and it's just not the same!

Ee Von: I only bought the duo cuz there was a pretty good discount :p I think around RM50+ for both. Anyway, the cleanser's pretty good! I use that more often than the essence.

xin said...

thanks for reviewing the cleanser. seen it and wondering how it really performs. i might *cough* wanna get this when i go sasa next time :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Xin: Hehe. Welcome! hopefully it's on sale when you wanna get it!

' * : . b | u 3 . : * ' said...

Lol love your review! I'm always jealous of people who can flash pale underarms haha :D

pixie said...

I was waiting for someone to review these 2 products! And now I got it. Thanks a lot for sharing the information.

|| Lynn || said...

Nice~~ Been waiting for this review =)I suffer from dark underarms too =( It's one reason why I refuse to wear sleveless clothes... I'm trying a whitening armpit kit from Nature Republic. So far so good. There's a scrub and a lotion. I love the smell~~ I don't think it's available in Malaysia, got it for only RM28 in Korea... Haha...

Can't wait to try the Wakilala one after I'm done with mine^^

nana said...

Hey used to use this 2 products and boy, it worked! I think it whitens my underarms in 3-4 months, I've not even finished the 2 products and now I'm not using it anymore because I'm so satisfied with my underarms now. It lightens and minimize the pores size, making my underarms look so smooth.

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie,

I went to Sasa 1U to check it out today. Both bundled together is for RM72. How come you got yours for so much cheaper? Was it like super sales then?

Anonymous said...

"Swipe a cotton pad soaked with the essence on the underarm area and you’ll be able to see some gunk on the cotton pad".

I tried, but I didn't get some gunk on the cotton pad as u said..Advice please..Can you give tutorial on that.. :(

Anonymous said...

where can i get this product?

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy