Skin Deco

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Review: Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate

One night. Two drops. Younger-looking skin by morning.

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate gives my skin the good night's sleep that it yearns. I can imagine how overworked my skin must be everyday, fighting off aggressors and repairing damaged cells... Sometimes, all the skin needs is a chance to rest and the benefits of well-rested skin will simply follow suit.

Full review after the jump...

"The potent 99.8% naturally-derived and paraben-free botanical elixir works all night to regenerate, repair and replenish the skin barrier for younger-looking skin by morning. The rich blend of naturally replenishing botanical oils including Squalane, Evening Primrose, and a blend of essential oils known for their therapeutic, balancing, and antioxidant effects, works with the skin's natural nocturnal activity to dramatically restore skin by morning. This lightweight, readily absorbed elixir effectively restores skin's healthy appearance overnight, resulting in smoother, more radiant complexion by morning. Enriched with Squalane, a botanical lipid similar in molecular structure to natural skin lipids, Evening Primrose Oil, rich in Omega-6 Fatty Acids and Essential Oils including Lavender, our formula provides a boost of intensive moisture to depleted skin. These natural oils instantly penetrate the skin surface to help replenish it. Our recovery concentrate works at night when skin is most receptive to repairing itself from daily aggressors. With skin hydrated, supple and soft, rest assured you can say goodnight to tired-looking skin." -- Kiehl's

Packaging that looks like laboratory apparatus has a way of tickling my fancy. As it is, there's a certain luxury and exclusivity that comes with a glass bottle, what more one with a dropper! So, it was no surprise that I was physically drawn to the dark blue glass bottle of the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate. To pipette the oil, you simply press the plastic tab at the top of the cap (I do this before unscrewing the cap) then, apply slight pressure to the tab to dispense two drops of oil. This dispensing method is controllable thus, I never worry about dispensing too much oil, which may lead to wastage.

Now, on to the content.

Two drops (maybe three, if you have very dry skin) of this concentrated blend of botanical oils is all you need. Seriously. The texture of the crystal clear oil is a dream to work with. Unlike most oils that are thick, gooey and sticky, the Concentrate is fluid and spreads easily onto all areas of the face. I'm serious. Two drops will cover your cheeks, forehead, nose, chin and under eye area. I've used my bottle for months and it still looks full. It'd be hard trying to get through this bottle in 18 months! I may consider using this on my neck and body when it's almost expiring. While most serums evaporate almost instantly after it touches skin, this oil allows a few minutes for massaging before it is absorbed. I can understand how many people would be concerned about putting oil onto their faces but trust me when I say that this oil is not stickier or greasier than a regular moisturizer.

As you massage, the aromatherapeutic scent will start to fill your nostrils and if you close your eyes as you do it, it won't be hard to imagine that you're on a massage bed... at a spa... in the middle of a herb garden....


The Midnight Recovery Concentrate is reserved for days when my skin and myself feel especially worn out. Of course, you can use the Concentrate everyday but I'd like to think of it as a holiday for my skin and utilize it when I need it the most -- when I'm dead tired, in need of sleep and can barely keep my eyes opened to apply skin care. I've developed a designated brief skin care routine to make my skin as comfortable as it can get and soothe any irritations:
  1. Hada Labo Tamagohada AHA + BHA Cleanser to get rid of any gunk that can congest my skin
  2. Madara Deep Comfort Toner to rehydrate and soothe irritations
  3. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate to relax and soften my skin
  4. Madara Regenerating Night Cream to moisturize
For as long as I have this "rescue routine", I don't think I'll ever have to worry about tiredness and stress showing on my skin. If you have an oilier complexion, you can probably skip the moisturizer. I've tried using it alone and it does keep my skin from drying out but I personally prefer more moisture.

Let's talk more about the Concentrate. Oh yes, there's more! This review is starting to get draggy, isn't it?

My skin with zero makeup

Although I can't quite put my finger on what the Midnight Recover Concentrate is supposed to do, I know one thing for sure -- I love how my skin looks the morning after. It wouldn't matter that I only had four hours of sleep because my skin doesn't show it (my constant yawning and half closed eyes give it away though). The Concentrate doesn't try to combat wrinkles or battle dehydration. I swear I'm getting more wrinkles from combating wrinkles! Like I said in the beginning, stop stressing out about your skin, give it a chance to rest and eventually, all the good stuff will come your way.

My skin got its good night's sleep and in the morning, my skin looks uber smooth with tightened pores and fine lines all plumped up. Instead of pale and parched, I get rosy cheeks and well-hydrated skin. With good circulation going on, my skin is starting to look more energized and less sallow.

Story:
I was tucked into bed and The Boy wanted to give me a goodnight kiss but hesitated. "You have skin care on your face..." he said, because nobody wants a mouthful of synthetic ingredients and parabens. "It's 99.8% natural!" I said. "Okay then" he smiled and planted one on my cheek.

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate is a stressed-out person's solution to gorgeous skin.

Retails at Kiehl's counters and outlets for RM200/30ml or USD$42/1 fl. oz. at Kiehls.com. It seems expensive but since you only need to use two drops, the price is rather justifiable. Kiehl's is usually quite generous with their samples so if you're interested in trying out this product, see if you can get yourself a sample.

Ingredients list

*The product featured in this post was provided by Kiehl's Malaysia for review on Skin Deco

14 comments:

theotherworldly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Slowbrogal said...

Oh Connie!! Your skin is so good..*love love*
This products sound good too but the price...hmm..

Charrie said...

I need to have this. Haha! Thanks. New follower here! :)

Connie De Alwis said...

theotherworldly: because droppers are so much cooler than pumps, right? :p Aw, my skin's in a good place right now. Hope I'm not jinxing it!

Slowbrogal: Thank you :) Perhaps you can share a bottle with a friend? You really use very little and a bottle's gonna last you until it expires!

Charrie: Thanks for your support! :D

Kahani said...

HAHAHAH so cute. "It's 99.5% natural!" *rolls around laughing

gio said...

Thanks for the review, this is really tempting me. Your skin looks great.

Connie De Alwis said...

Kahani: 99.8%! hehe :p

Gio: Welcome! and thank you :)

❤ Ee Von said...

tightened pores??? I NEED THIS!

mary said...

With all of those 99.8% natural ingredients it must smell quite lovely. I notice it has jasmine, rose, rosemary, lavender. What does it smell like?
http://www.makeuptutorial.com

Connie De Alwis said...

Ee Von: I think it's a good investment since you'll be using it for the max 18 months

Mary: I think it smells mostly of rose and lavender. I love the smell

vonzi said...

hey Connie (and lovely followers)

Just wanted to let you all know that the Coriander, Lavendar, and Rosemary oils are all bad for your skin. They are irritants and can cause collagen breakdown!!!!!! I don't have the journal articles to cite right now but if needed I can provide them

be careful!!

Cha said...

Thanks for your advice. I just bought this product last week and looking forward for great results. i think I need to skip the moisturizer since my skin feels a little oily when I use them at the same time.
Im on my 5th day of using the product, and boy, I see significant changes in my skin. My face looks brighther and smoother. I feel that my pores become smaller and my lines has diminish especially the laugh lines.

I can say it's all worth it to buy this product

grizz said...

99.8% natural ingredients, so does it mean the squalane thats in the bottle might have a chance its shark liver oil.

Ms. Champagne said...

the boy sounds like such a sweetheart. I read this today and wanted to try it but I"m worried because i'm so oily and i break out easily... I guess I should try it on one side of my face to see with a sample first. I really wish it'd balance out the super oily T zone and dry cheeks. Maybe i should just put it on my cheeks? either way, wish me luck!

xoxo champagne

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy