Skin Deco

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review: Hada Labo Tamagohada AHA/BHA Cleanser

Tamago = Egg
Hada = Skin

Having skin as smooth as the white of a hard boiled egg is a dream. Hada Labo 'Tamagohada' AHA/BHA Cleanser is a daily exfoliating cleanser -- just the thought of it made my skin shrivel from dryness. That was my primary concern.

How wrong I was to assume.
This cleanser proved its awesomeness during my busiest weeks.

Read on for the full review...

The cleanser smells lightly of BHA (salicylic acid). Go smell an aspirin and you'll get the idea. As the name indicates, this cleanser contains both AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) and BHA that act as chemical exfoliants. Don't jump out of your skin at the sight of the word "chemical". Chemical exfoliants are usually more gentle on the skin and exfoliates more evenly compared to physical exfoliants (eg. granules/grainy stuff) that can be coarse and painful.

As with all foamy cleanser, a pea size is more than enough. Long gone the days of dotting cleanser and lathering on thick. Ugh, now I can imagine why I had such clogged-up dry skin as a teenager.

Lather up the cleanser between wet palms and you'll get a decent amount of foam. The bubbles dissipates quickly but it's not a problem for me since I'm used to non-foamy cleansers. I concentrate on areas where I have more congestion such as my nose, forehead and chin. After rinsing, my skin feelt as smooth as an egg. Well, not exactly but it did feel pretty smooth! Immediately my skin looked brighter and my pores, smaller. While my skin felt drier than when I used Cetaphil or lotion cleansers, it didn't make my skin feel uncomfortably tight nor did it cause any flakiness. Over time, my skin tone did look better and the texture of my skin looked finer.

You're probably wondering by now, what makes this cleanser so awesome?

For the past two months, I've been completely swamped with work and school to the point that I barely had any energy left at the end of the day to spend 10 minutes on my usual skin care routine when all I want is to get in bed. For two months, there were no scrubbing or masking and some days, I couldn't even make it to the moisturizer. I'm not proud to say that for the duration, I even left out my sunscreen in the daytime. The only product that I did use every night was this cleanser.

My skin survived the two months despite the stress, insufficient sleep and little care. Almost no pimples, whiteheads were in control, no rash, no roughness and only minor dullness. I'm thinking that the exfoliation is so efficient that it allows my skin to function on its own. Not only did it decongested my skin, it prevented dead skin cell build-up, allowing my natural oils to come through. If it wasn't for this cleanser, heaven only knows what my skin would look like right now.

First we had the Hada Labo Super Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizing Lotion. Now, we have another winner from Hada Labo!

Note: Use a sunscreen if you're using this cleanser in the day and avoid using products that have high content of alcohol, glycolic acid or any other ingredient that are prone to irritating the skin.

Retails at Guardian pharmacy for RM17.90/50g and RM31.90/130g




* The product featured in this post was provided by Vibes Communications for review on Skin Deco

32 comments:

Blovet Beauty said...

Sounds like a keeper. I love the effects AHA has on the skin, it exfoliates without aggravating it. Can't wait to get my hands on this product!

Connie De Alwis said...

Blovet Beauty: I think you'll love this cleanser! The effects are gradual, which my sensitive skin really appreciates. I had to stop using aspirin masks because they were too strong

Slowbrogal said...

This cleanser is awesome Connie!! It makes my skin so smooth and glad it works for you too. I was about to review this, and here came urs. ^^

Jenn said...

Eh! Thanks so much for this review! I was contemplating on which Hada Labo cleanser to get! Now i'm sooo tempted by this one!! :D

|| Lynn || said...

I'm also using it!! It's AMAZING! My skin feels really smooth now... I use it as a makeup remover at night as well... No breakouts so I guess it works!! It's definitely a keeper~~

jenna said...

Sounds great, you did a great job reviewing the product and giving us information and ingredients! Much appreciated!!

Shyamala said...

Surely a keeper. I was surprise that it actually removed my BB cream and my eyeliner from my bottom lashes.

Connie De Alwis said...

Slowbrogal: Good to hear that you're loving this cleanser!

Jenn: I think you'll like it very much! i wanted to get the hyaluronic acid one but now I have tonnes of cleanser to get through!

Lynn: Oh, I've never tried using it to remove foundation. I'll have to give it a try!

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenna: You're welcome! I'm glad you found the post helpful

Shyamala: another fan! this one's a keeper indeed. Cool to know that it can remove even eye makeup BUT I'd be weary about getting AHA and BHA around my eye area. They're nevertheless, abrasive chemicals

mint said...

awesome cleanser! thanks for the review, I want to try it out too. :D

ning * star said...

is really awesome... but I still don't really achieve that decogested condition yet... :)
but so far, I'm using hada labo and quite impress and happy with it :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Mint: Welcome!

ning*star: On it's own it's not enough, definitely. You'd still have to do scrubs and deep cleansing masks to get the full effect. It really helped to maintain my skin though.

❤ Ee Von said...

omgggg for the price this sounds sooo awesome! it came in just on time - i'm running out of my cleanser :D thanks for the review!

Jayie said...

I'm on my second tube... i really love this cleanser! I bought it even before all the raves and i was very surprised that a foaming wash did not dry out my skin! love the clean but not dry feeling on my skin after using it :D

HerSecretObsessions said...

I absolutely love this cleanser too!! Usually during that time of the month.. i BREAK OUT... but after using this, my skin has been acne free! This stuff is just sooo good for us college students. love love love!!

King-Jun said...

I just bought a new tube too as I find it mild and gentle to skin! love it very much!
but I would like to ask for your comment. Does it help to remove some light makeup? for example BB cream and sunblock. Do i have to use makeup remover for them before i use this cleanser?
Thank you. :)

Tong said...

Im using it for a week now... the result is just owesome....pores getting smaller..skin smoother and brighter......

Anonymous said...

Does it work on sensitive skin?

Connie De Alwis said...

EeVon: Welcome! Get this! :D

Jayie: Totally agree! I'll probably purchase this again when I run out!

HerSecretObsession: I've experienced a lot less break outs too ever since I started using this cleanser

King-Jun: I've never tried using it to remove makeup and I always double cleanse. you can always give it a day's test. Wash your face with this cleanser alone and swipe your skin with a cotton pad soaked with toner and see if there's still makeup residue. if there is, then you'll need to double cleanse.

Tong: Very cool that you're seeing results! AHA and BHA are very powerful ingredients and can do wonders when used appropriately.

Anonymous: AHA and BHA are abrasive ingredients but it's somewhat gentle compared to physical scrubs. I'd say go for the smaller tube and use it sparingly to see how your skin responds to it. Also, be aware of the more sensitive areas of your face and use less product on those areas. I have considerably sensitive and this works very well for me.

Ruzanna said...

Is wearing moisturizer with SPF after cleansing with this wash enough? Or I must use proper sunscreen? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

hi! i want to ask have u tried the cleanser version with the pump on before? that one is a foamy pump version of this and more expensive..... im debating between them both thanks

Connie De Alwis said...

Ruzanna: I believe in always using a separate SPF so I'd say go for a proper sunscreen as oppose to a moisturizer with spf.

Anonymous: It's not available in Malaysia yet so, no. I might get it for novelty sake though!

M said...

hey I was wondering if this cleanser suitable for guys?

Connie De Alwis said...

M: Yup, guys can definitely use this cleanser too

Eisse J said...

Hi...great review. I'm loving this cleanser now. It's interesting if it can remove makeup...i want to try that too (^^)

Nina Adzem said...

hi, just want to ask, is this cleanser suitable for acne skin? i'm having several breakouts now. i've tried clean & clear b4 but it made my break outs even worse. and i've been using clinelle cleanser for a month now but no difference showed. it does make my skin supple but did not prevent the breakouts from worsen nor reduce it. so, i'm thinking of switching to hada labo cleanser once my cleanser is finished.

tuty noordin said...

hi there,

i rarely wears make-up. so does this cleanser too abrasive for me? my skin is the combination type.. tq doll..:)

Yukino said...

I used this and this is absolutely awesome. I stayed up all night one day and when I used it in the morning, I looked fresh.

rosejaejoong said...

after reading what you guys wrote,i feel like using this cleanser.I'm already using the moisturizing lotion and i love it.

jessi_apple_mint said...

which cleanser work for oily skin? i am having acnes also. too bad :(

Nia said...

Seems like an awesome product,I'm already in love with their lotion,thinking of getting this too! Since I'm also pimply & have less time for "beauty care" when I need to study & stuffs. Thanks for the review,love ya lots!

Anonymous said...

Hi,I was just wondering if the AHA cleanser can help me with my acne-prone skin?

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy