Skin Deco

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review: MAC Select Cover-Up

As much as we try to perfect our skin with religious skin care routines, ultimately, there'll still be something that needs to be covered up. I'm not bothered with a blemish or two but my biggest areas of concern that need extra concealing are my dark eye circles and the discoloration around my mouth.

Said to be "virtually invisible", I was counting on the MAC Select Cover-Up to deliver. Don't you just hate it when your package gets lost in mail and arrives 3 months late?

Read on for the review...

My color is NC35 which is quite beige compared to the MAC foundations that can lean slightly to orange. The rather fluid liquid concealer comes in a handily-sized tube with a nozzle that dispenses a controlled amount of product.

The concealer blends easily and dries to a semi-matte finish so I can wear this without applying powder to set and it still wouldn't crease. I can even apply this over powder foundation and not experience caking. However, the quick-drying formula also means that I have to work quickly with this concealer or I'd have trouble blending once it dries.

If you need a heavy duty concealer, the Select Cover-Up is not for you. Using a foundation to conceal would get you this coverage. It's good enough to even out discolorations but don't expect it to "erase" anything. Personally, I'd use a dark eye circle corrector prior to using the Select Cover-Up to even out the color.

One major downside of this concealer is the fact that it can be drying. If at any point your skin is leaning on the dry side or is not completely smooth, this concealer will accentuate any bumps, flakiness and lines that you may have. In other words, if you have very dry or uneven-textured skin, you may wanna give this concealer a miss.

This is one of the few concealers that I feel comfortable wearing without foundation as it blends incredibly. I use this concealer whenever my skin isn't awfully dry because of the unique texture. However, I don't like it enough to repurchase. It'll probably take me awhile to get through this tube anyway.

The MAC Select Cover-Up delivers but not efficiently.

Retails at RM65/10ml (I think) at all MAC outlets and counters or USD$16.50 at MACCosmetics.com

15 comments:

Camille(SHOBE) said...

nice concealer!i love this concealer though this is not my HG..ill share my review too
http://littlebeautybag.blogspot.com/2010/04/product-reviewmac-select-cover-up.html

Monica @ Beauty Parler said...

Nice review! I personally sheer out my concealer because I like a little darkness to show thru, I think it looks more natural. Haven't tried this MAC product as I prefer cream/pot concealers.

EveryDay Makeup (becky) said...

aw, I didn't see that much difference. i dont like concealers that dries fast. it reminds me of an avon concealer that i've tried in the past.

Askmewhats said...

I've always been testing this out on MAC counters but I always ended up not buying it, probably because I think I'd go for heavier coverage! Thanks for your review on this!

domncroxd said...

I agree with Becky - don't see much difference but I reckon you've got great skin to begin with in the first place. Thanks for the review!

Kahani said...

Glad it's working out for you - loved the coverage and texture but the damned thing gave me cystic acne! Have you tried mixing it with moisturiser for a tinted moisturiser base? It looks pretty good that way too.

Khymm (Shopcoholic) said...

i agree the coverage is light, i prefer the Studio Finish concealer..

gio said...

Thanks for the review. I prefer concealers that offer heavier coverage than this so I'll give it a miss.

Connie De Alwis said...

Camille: I checked out your review! Perhaps I should get an NW one to cancel out my dark circles. I see it working very well for you!

Monica: You're right. a little darkness will definitely look more natural. Even when I try to retouch the dark circles on my computer, I eventually post up the non-retouched picture. Just looks more realistic.

Connie De Alwis said...

Becky: Yeah, it's really sheer. Might as well be a foundation! It's still not that bad. I've tried drier ones. Just need to work with one eye at a time.

Nikki: Then you can certainly skip this one! It's really light coverage.

Connie De Alwis said...

domncroxd: Aw, you're sweet :)

Kahani: That's awful! Nope, I haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip!

Connie De Alwis said...

Khymm: I can see that the Studio Finish concealer is more popular. I'm trying to get away from pot concealers though because it's thick and most of the time I use very little concealer. Perhaps select moisture cover for me?

Gio: You're welcome :) Definitely not the Select cover-up for heavier coverage!

❤ Ee Von said...

thanks for the review! i definitely prefer something with heavier coverage. this can be totally skipped!

Connie De Alwis said...

Ee Von: Welcome :) I've been fiddling around with concealers lately...

vonzi said...

you should definitely try the Studio Sculpt concealer. It's not as drying and has better coverage so you don't even need a color corrector.

I'm NW30 with veryyyy dry skin, mediterranean dark circles, and yellow undertones.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy