Skin Deco

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New and Improved: Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse

One of Shu Uemura's iconic products gets a makeover! The coveted Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse and a personal favorite, now has new and improved packaging, formula and price.

Read on for the changes and review...

First released 20 years ago, Shu Uemura has now produced the 8th edition of the UV Under Base Mousse. I was already a huge fan of the 7th so let's take a look at what's different, shall we?


To understand the concept of mousse, the folks at Shu Uemura had me whip an egg and as you can see, the thick runny liquid became soft fluffy peaks. It represented "mousse" that will feel lighter and more comfortable on the skin as opposed to liquid or cream.


Read my review of the previous UV Under Base Mousse

The biggest difference would be the pump. Now, doesn't that look a whole lot better than the straight nozzle that they had previously? The pump allows a lot more control in the amount dispensed and there's no longer a need to position the nozzle at a specific angle to get the mousse out. Funny how they took 20 years to figure the pump out... Newly discovered technology, perhaps? ;) I didn't have to spend so much time shaking the can either.

With a higher sun protection level of SPF30 PA+++, the mousse is even more lightweight than before. It also dries quicker.


While the mousse (in Beige) did manage to even out the ruddiness on my skin and make it somewhat smoother, it gave lesser coverage, which I'm not too happy about. It's not necessarily a bad thing if you're going to apply foundation on top of the base.

Even though the new formula claims to be more moisturizing, I had trouble using this base with powder foundation, which I never had with the old one. It didn't dry out my skin so it was perfectly fine for me to use liquid or cream foundation over it. You see, when I wear powder foundation, I'll need my natural oils to surface before it can look good. For those of you with oilier complexions, this is a good thing because this means that the new formula offers better oil control.

Here comes the best part. This new UV Under Base Mousse has a new reduced price. You get the same amount, 65g, but at RM108 instead of RM135 for the old one. How cool is that?

Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse SPF30 PA+++ retails for RM108/65g at Shu Uemura counters and outlets. Available in two colors; Beige and Pink.

*The product featured in this post was provided by Shu Uemura Malaysia for the purpose of review on Skin Deco

8 comments:

plue said...

i have been wanting to get this for a long time, but always tell myself next time cuz i wanna finish my base first. but i really think this is good cuz each time my SA put it on for me, the temptation of getting it is stronger each time! :P

Connie De Alwis said...

I don't think you'll regret getting it! Especially when you're already loving it. I sorta prefer the old one but if you're more concerned about oil control, this should work excellently for you :)

Askmewhats said...

I still have the old version and I haven't even started using it!!! thanks for sharing your experience on this new improved version!

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: Why haven't you? Hehe. You're welcome :) I especially liked the improved pump and the higher spf.

Grace Chan said...

i think is soo weird to apply mousse to your face. LOL But it looks super cool. :D

is the texture like hair mousse?

eliza said...

wowww~!!! it doesn't break the bank too~!
thx for the heads up ^^

Connie De Alwis said...

Grace Chan: Don't ask me why I've tried putting hair mousse on my face but this mousse is lighter, turns into liquid faster and doesn't feel sticky at all

Eliza: The price is on the higher end still but not too bad :)

Anonymous said...

Don't get it near your eyes! It makes them water and sting, only downside of this great product

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy