Skin Deco

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Review: Madara Moon Flower Tinting Fluid

While I'm blessed to have skin (okay, I worked for it!) that doesn't need much concealing, I seldom feel that tinted moisturizers are adequate in terms of providing coverage. If it can't even out my skin tone, what's the point?

Benefit's You Rebel was the only tinted moisturizer that I ever liked and then came Madara Moon Flower Tinting Fluid.
Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer, meet your match!

Read on for the review.

"Gently moisturises while providing a sheer coverage. Evens out skin tone and illuminates complexion with a radiant pink glow - like rose petals in the moonlight. Disguises imperfections and fine lines. A lighter alternative to foundation – does not create a layer of make- up, does not clog pores. Provides light sun protection against UVA and UVB rays. Option to layer on your regular day moisturiser if skin is very dry." -- Body Bar

Let's talk formula. The lotion is quite fluid so one pump (as shown in the pic) is really all you need for the entire face. It doesn't contain SPF in terms of numbers as most tinted moisturizers do but there are ingredients in the formula that offer light sun protection; titanium dioxide and Baltic St. John's Wort, which enhances skin's natural protective abilities against UV damage. That said, use a separate sunscreen. For dry skin, it's best to use a separate moisturizer as well.

If you have caught a glimpse of the Eco Cert logo on the bottle, you should know that this product is certified organic and having an Eco Cert means this is the real deal! I'm not going to get into details but many products would claim to be "organic" when they are really not or only contain insignificant amount of organic ingredients.

Clean packaging with a pump that dispenses just the right amount is a huge plus too!

Moon Flower is pink-toned which got me worried at first because I'm quite yellow and I hate looking pink. Fortunately, the color blended in very well with my skin tone and oh boy, "natural" skin has never looked better! The super finely-milled light reflecting particles diffuse any minor imperfections like discolorations, blemishes, lines, and creases. For additional coverage, just add a concealer where needed. The hint of color adds the appearance of health with a soft glow. I don't think I've ever felt this comfortable wearing a tinted moisturizer on its own even with bolder makeup.

My skin loves the formula a lot too. Normally, I'd avoid my Benefit You Rebel when I have a wee bit of a rash because the formula will sting and irritate the daylights out of my skin. Moon Flower, on the other hand, simply feels good and I dare say, somewhat soothing. The formula doesn't get oily either like You Rebel does but I'd still dust over with some translucent loose powder just to set.

The Tinting Fluid also comes in a warm-toned color, Sun Glow, which would suit tan to dark skin tones. I'm very tempted to get that one too but it'll take a while for me to get through this 50ml bottle. ParisB, who is fair at the end of the spectrum, found Moon Flower to be a tad dark but Charlotte of Lipglossiping did manage to get it to work for her thus, I'd suggest trying out the color yourself before committing. I'm sure the folks at Body Bar will be glad to give you a sample to test.

Here's a full face picture of me wearing the Moon Flower Tinting Fluid. Tutorial for this look here.

Okay, here comes the price. It's RM128 for 50ml. "OMG, so expensive!" would be the natural reaction because Madara is a non-mainstream Latvian (where's Latvia, again?) brand. Benefit is USD$30/RM135 (I think), Stila is USD$32 which means they're all on the same boat in terms of price. Only setback would be when people tell you how lovely your skin looks and ask what product you're using and you'd say "Madara" and they'd go "Huh?" as opposed to saying "Benefit/Stila" and they'd go "Oh..." and save your breath from explaining what Madara is. Yeah.

When a product is good, it's good! If you can pay for Benefit or Stila, why not Madara?
Madara can be purchased from Body Bar outlets located at Sunway Pyramid, Tropicana City Mall, and Pavilion as well as their online store.
If you're not in Malaysia, do check out the Madara website for outlet listing. In the UK, it's selling for about £21.50 so the price's not terribly marked up here.

Ingredients: Aqua, Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil*, Rosa Damascena (Rose) Distillate*, Glycerin*, Theobroma Cacao Seed (Cocoa) Butter*, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hypericum Perforatum (St. John’s Wort) Extract*, Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Extract*, Chamomilla Recutita (Camomile) Extract*, Algae Extract, Plantago Major (Plantain Leaf) Extract*, Cetearyl Glucoside, Capryloyl Glycine, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide***, Xantan Gum, Aroma**, Citral**, Eugenol**, Limonene**, Linalool** [+/- (may contain), Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)]


Speaking of Stila, I have a tube of their Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer SPF 15. To describe it in direct Cantonese translated words, "Got apply equals to didn't apply".
No coverage whatsoever. Oh, you get shimmer! It may look finely-milled in the picture but when you apply it onto the skin, you'd see bits of shimmer here and there. I've only been using it just because... Now that I have my Madara, there's no reason to use it anymore.
Nikki has better things to say about it.

Ok, it's going up for sale. Who want's it? RM40, used 4-5 times, postage is free. E-mail me!

15 comments:

Askmewhats said...

Madara sounds interesting! Thanks for linking my Stila review, I am not using it anymore because its toooo HOT down here!

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: I'm using several other products from the brand and I'm quite pleased with them as well :) Madara stays put despite the hot weather! Another plus :D

Paris B said...

It worked for you! Awesome :D

Connie De Alwis said...

ParisB: Yup! It did! :D *does the happy dance*

K said...

I dont like how it looks on you :( maybe wrong shade?

It kinda makes your skin look muddy

Connie De Alwis said...

K: Really? Thanks for your input. It sure doesn't look muddy at all in real life. I wore the tinting fluid in this tutorial: http://www.skindeco.net/2010/04/him-spired-tutorials-malcolm-koh.html
Perhaps it'll give you a better idea of how it looks :)

Eli said...

Reviews which inspire lemmings like this make me feel like I have been exiled to KK. =P I definitely need to check out BOdy Bar on my next trip back.

fuzkittie said...

Wow you look sooo glowy with it on!

Connie De Alwis said...

Eli: I'm sure the website ships to KK ;)No reason not to!

Fuz: Thank you! It's shimmer done right ;)

Lynsey James March said...

This looks great, I have been looking to try a tinting fluid. I love how it looks!

Connie De Alwis said...

Lynsey: Go for it! It feels good on the skin too :)

' * : . b | u 3 . : * ' said...

Its unfortunate we don't have Madara here :/ I've tried that Stila TM though and I have to agree it has very little coverage!

stellarvixen said...

ohh me having same skintone spectrum with ParisB..will it be too dark for me then?
better pick up the samples before buying

50ML! is a long long way to go actually ..easily 6months! hehe

Sarah Bradley said...

How do you think this would work on oily skin?

Wrinkle Cream said...

I'm quite pleased with them as well :) Madara stays put despite the hot weather!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy