Skin Deco

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Him-Spired Tutorials: Bill Kaulitz

Congrats, Hsu Jen!

Thanks for nominating Bill Kaulitz, lead vocalist of Tokio Hotel.

I've wanted to replicate a dude's look for the longest time and try out some different contouring techniques so this was a great opportunity for me.

Don't worry, I didn't leave the house looking like this!



Read on for the inspiration, pictures and product listing.

Image Source: TokioHotelUS.Com

Bill Kaulitz is not hard to overlook with his iconic dark black smokey eyes and lion mane hair (which I wanted to do if not for the lack of hairspray). Unlike the other Him-spired tutorials which are based on the guy's character and personality, this is a straight-up copy of Bill's makeup and I hope I do it justice! He's such a pretty boy that I think I look more masculine that he does.

It's definitely much more than just slapping on thick eyeliner. First I turned my skin pale and I wanted the eyeshadow to be well blended. To create the sunken face shape, I heavily contoured the hollows of the cheek with a technique usually used for male facial features and not female. You can also tell from his pictures that the under eye area is strongly highlighted.

Tokio Hotel will be playing live in One Utama this Saturday! I'm going but Hsu Jen certainly is, so have heaps of fun going crazy over Bill!


Items Used:

Face:
Lancome UV Expert BB Base
I Nuovi Studio Cake Foundation in 3Y
Chacott Translucent Loose Powder in White
Any dark concealer or foundation (to contour)
Benefit Eyeshadow in Moody (to contour)
Maybelline Liquid Concealer (a lighter shade to conceal and highlight)

Lips:
NYX Megashine Lipgloss in Natural (dabbed)


Eyes:
L'Oreal De Crease
NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in Slate (always creases on me!!)
Giorgio Armani Eye Pencil in Black
Scott Barnes Illumineye Eyeshadow in Night
NYX Eyeshadow in Greyish Brown
I Nuovi Trucolor Eyeshadow in Arabian Black
Chacott Translucent Loose Powder in White (as highlight)
Maybelline The Colossal Mascara
MAC Eyeshadow in Concrete (eyebrows)



I like how my jaw pops out strongly in this pic. Hehe



27 comments:

Paris B said...

*crawls out from under rock* Who dat? :P Excellent rock look tho Connie and excellent contouring work! Almost didn't recognize you there ;)

Jenn said...

*crawls out from under the same rock as Paris* Woops, didn't knew who he was until i read your post!! :P

I'm loving this look!! You have excellent blending skills!! :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Tee hee, actually I didn't know who he was until quite recently :p
Thanks! I wouldn't have recognized myself either

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: LOL!! Don't worry, you're not alone! Actually I got the tickets but I don't know them enough to appreciate them so I gave the tix away to someone who would.
Thanks, sweetie :)

Jen said...

Awesommeeeee!! thanks for picking my nomination of the most delicious Bill Kaulitz! crazy amount of eyeshadow used, but looks pretty cool. wouldnt look out of place at the concert this weekend! your blending skills are very the power. thanks again!!

Sue Lynn said...

Amazing! So many shades of black e/s blended together! Truly a work of art ler...

Honestly, I had no idea who he is. Had you shown me his pic, I'd have thought that he's one of those notoriously androgynous runway FEMALE models!

LOL @ "He's such a pretty boy that I think I look more masculine that he does."

Jen said...

i like the burning rockstar bits in the video too haha.

Hayley said...

It look more like Adam Lambert style, to me. lol..
anyway, good try! black is always sexy....

-AnGiEpInK- said...

Oh my..Gorgeous!!..Absolutely gorgeous..Your his new twin..Lol..Just kidding..^_^..

plue said...

woah! awesome looking dued, i mean you! haha!

great blending + contouring skills! must say i need to kao tow to you d :D

smoking hot :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Jen: You're welcome! Go rock this look out at the concert! I like the burning bit too. so appropriate. hehe

Sue Lynn: In the pics the multiples of black shadows didn't seem necessary but in real life, the transition shows. Bill truly has very feminine features even without all the makeup.

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: Adam's more drag! He'd wear some blue and glitter as well as some blush besides the dark smokey eyes. Thanks nonetheless :) Too much black on regular women can be scary though

AngiePink: Lol, hardly! But thanks :)

Plue: Haha, thanks babe

germaine said...

this look and the picture you have taken is so mesmerizing, cant help but keep staring at the picture... feel so drawn in into your eyes..

Jyoan said...

This is very good! =) Thanks for it. I love how your eyelids look so dark, yet it really is wearable, and not too exaggerated when you open your eyes. Really good one. Have to learn to do this.

Grace Chan said...

Hes ONE pretty boy : )
When i first found out about him he looked so much like a girl to me. I love how its so wearable! When I use off black colors on my lid my eyes look ridiculously small.. and like someone punched my eye.. =X

Askmewhats said...

you can definitely go out with this look! For parties and clubbing I love this! Soooo gorgeous

gio said...

You look gorgeous! The blending is perfect and you have fantastic contouring skills!

Connie De Alwis said...

Germain: Hehe I'll take that as a compliment. Don't look too long or I may hypnotize you into doing things you don't wanna do ;)

Jyoan: I'm really flattered! Thanks :)The look's quite simple once you get the hang of blending. It just one main color so you can't really go wrong with it

Connie De Alwis said...

Grace: He is, isn't he! Nobody would've guessed that he was a guy if he actually dresses up like one. Black's not an easy color to pull. I usually steer clear away from it in real life.

Nikki: Even I'm not that daring! Thank you, dear :) I really liked how it turned out too

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: Thanks! It was my first time trying out the contouring technique but it wasn't too bad eh? I'll be needing some more practice though

Eli said...

You look pretty good! In a sexy "I am going to eat you tonight" kinda way. =P If I tried this, I would look like death warmed over so kudos on you for carrying this off.

Anonymous said...

bill kaulitz, LOL..That's cheating cos he's practically already pretty, even WITHOUT makeup...*sighs* no fair maaaaaaan. But on the other note, make up's hot

miith

Connie De Alwis said...

Eli: Hehe, thanks girl.

Miith: Funny thing was I tried to make myself look more girl but at the same time more masculine. How very contradicting.
Thanks :)

❤ Ee Von said...

this is late but i have to comment. ANOTHER GREAT TAKE!!!

i've heard a lot about tokio hotel but have only seen them in an mtv about last week, but still didn't know their names. now that i've read your post, i know!

i so agree with you on how pretty he is! i cannot stop looking at him in the mtv!

Tine said...

My dear girl, all you have to do is colour your eyelids black and you would still look that good. The rock chick look was bloody amazing on you.

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Crystal said...

wow you are absolutely gorgeous, your skin is flawless!

Jamilla Camel said...

This is such a fierce look, perfert for clubbing!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy