Skin Deco

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Review: theBalm Hot Mama

Towards the end of last year, gaining popularity amongst the girls in our “group” was theBalm Down Boy blush, which I believe at least four of them own. While I was very much suckered by the cute packaging and witty name, the cool pink wasn’t a good color on me so I passed. Not wanting to feel left out, I went for a different color, theBalm Hot Mama.

Warm peachy-pink with a golden sheen, in theory, seems like it’ll look fabulous on my warm tan-ish complexion. As an added bonus, it has also been known as a NARS Orgasm dupe.

Is it a hit? Read on…

Despite it being one third of Down Boy’s size, Hot Mama’s pan still contains a generous amount of blush. The slim cardboard packaging is magnetized so that the blush opens up like a book. There’s even a mirror inside. Cute, no? The powder is finely-milled and easy to blend.


For those of you who are wondering if Hot Mama compares to NARS Orgasm, it doesn’t. In terms of color concept, it may seem like it would but Orgasm has more peach than pink in it. The blush from the elf Studio Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder duo would be a closer match to Orgasm as opposed to Hot Mama which is pinker. This shade should generally flatter most skin tones.


Looks pretty good, doesn’t it? Unfortunately in real life the color did not translate to what you see in the pictures. It took quite a lot of product to get the color and glow to show. By the time I got the color intensity that I wanted, I didn’t feel too “hot” – the minuscule bumps on my face seem to be accentuated. To make matters worse, the color on my cheeks would fade within 2 hours or so. I wanted so much for the blush to work on me but it didn’t. Milani Luminous looked a whole lot better on me and lasted longer too.

Don’t let my less-than-ideal experience put you off though. Many people who have used Hot Mama liked it a lot and my fair-skinned friends had no problem with the blush color fading. Maybe this blush is only meant for hot mamas…

I'm afraid this one's a miss for me *sighs*

Retails for RM65 at SaSa outlets and $19 at Sephora

14 comments:

Hanny Kee said...

Awww, don't worry, you're hot too! hehehe

Paris B said...

Aww babe not to worry - you're definitely a Hot Mama with or without theBalm! :D *hugs*

aretha said...

This looks very similar to Majolica majorca's RD255. I always swatch it when i walk into SASA but have never tried it on my cheeks before. I might try it the next time. I hate the SASA sales assistants, they keep tailing you around the whole store and some of them are so stuck up. Urghh >.<

❤ Ee Von said...

love the packaging and the glow it gives!! but rm65 is not cheap... great review though! :)

Dani said...

too bad the colour doesn't last because it is a pretty colour (once you've put enough on your face, that is :p)

Connie De Alwis said...

Hanny: Lol, I was only kidding :p But thanks

ParisB: Tee hee hee. There's no other blush from theBalm that seems to attract me, sadly. The eyeshadows look tempting though... idontneedit idontneedit

Connie De Alwis said...

Aretha: I never know why I have not owned a Majolica blush or eyeshadow even. Always wanted one *shrugs* I know what you mean about the SaSa SAs! I bought this blush from the SaSa in Cineleisure. The SA there was not pushy at all, she was pleasant and even extended my relatively empty membership card.

Ee Von: Just too bad that my cheeks couldn't sustain the glow. Compared to the US I'd say it's not bad ie. not terribly marked up (in fact with the current exchange rate, it's cheaper to buy here)

Dani: I know! *sighs* I don't have the heart to give it up just yet

plue said...

i never quite like thebalm's blush. colour's a bit off for me. or it's plain weird. lol. at least now i know i'm not missing anything!

Eli said...

I am with plue. I love theBalm's sassy packaging but their blushes fail to blow me away. Le sigh.

Connie De Alwis said...

Plue: I do like the brand (mainly cuz of the pugs) but I haven't really gotten to trying anything else

Eli: Sad, isn't it? And I'm not blaming the blush.

gio said...

Thanks for the review. I love the packaging and the color's pretty. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you though.

Melissa said...

hello, am a silent reader here! i've heard that this is a dupe for orgasm too and was super keen to try it... glad to have read your review first cos i'm pretty dark also :/ thankyou!

beetrice said...

ermm, mama you might not be (unless it's to lexi), but hot? most definitely! :D

love the 'down boy' one i have - hey, if it got carried all the way to spore it had to be good, right? ;)

*Anita* said...

great review! i have this blush as well and have the exact problems as you. i have to pack on the blush to get a nice colour to show up and it fades too fast on my oily skin. it looks nice on you though! :) xx

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy