Skin Deco

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Review: Make Up For Ever Smoky Lash Mascara

I'm not going to beat around the bush.

Make Up Forever Smoky Lash is a western mascara.

And I love it.

Read on...

If you don't already know, I almost always dislike Western mascaras. Asian mascaras all the way, baby!

When I bought the MUFE Smoky Lash mascara (at a good deal, if I may add), it was without expectations. Despite wanting it to work, I was well aware of how poorly my stick straight Asian lashes respond to Western mascaras.

The brush looks pretty basic but it does pick up a lot of mascara to load on the lashes. As with most Western mascaras, the formula is a tad thick so the tube will dry up within two months or so. I won't say that it doesn't clump because after two months, it's bound to but before it dries up, clumping won't be much of an issue.


Smoky Lash doesn't groom my lashes to perfection, which is what most Asian mascaras do. For me, that's not a bad thing. As promised, the mascara volumizes, lengthens (enough) and -- wait for it -- curls. Yes! It actually does hold up a curl!

The formula is very dark thus adding instant drama to the lashes with just one coat. Though, I usually go for two coats to get even thicker and more luscious lashes. The slightly unruly separation made my lashes look fluttery, which I love.

Without this mascara, my eye makeup would seem very much incomplete. Heck, I can have on sloppy eyeshadow and this mascara would fix the look.

This formula is non-waterproof and while MUFE does have a waterproof formula for Smoky Lash, I can't assure you that it will work the same. Besides, I actually prefer non-waterproof formula for daily use because it means that I won't have to rub my eyes to get the mascara off. Wearing it throughout the day, the mascara didn't smudge at all unless I had been crying or had a really big yawn. It removes easily with warm water.

Mascaras are one of those items that I don't believe in paying lots of money for. Why should I when my trusty Maybelline Turbo Boost works wonderfully? Even if I can convince myself that I can be perfectly contented with Turbo Boost, Smoky Lash is my vice. A vice that I will indulge in.

Retails at Make Up For Ever counters for RM105 and Sephora for USD$22

12 comments:

Askmewhats said...

so true, I have the same insight as you, I could never purchase expensive mascaras as I seriously throw them out every 3 months! I can't prolong it especially working with clients :)

Your lashes are to die for!!! i want to have some of those! care to share? :P

Bea said...

Love your lashes connie! youre totally right! that mascara gives you an instant drama effect. i love it! :)

Hayley said...

Wow, i like it!

but what if my lashes are originally short and scanty? T_T

Jamilla Camel said...

I have pathetically short, thin, droopy Asian lashes. I can't wait to try this! Your lashes look wonderful!

BTW you know that Maybelline is owned by L'Oreal right ;-)

ning * star said...

i think it volumize a lot. Maybelline mascara is so nice, I'm really loving my the magnum mascara <3

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: It's the mascara doing its work! If I give you my lashes I won't have any left :p

Bea: Thanks! I LOVE this mascara

Hayley: Well, mine's originally short and scanty that's why having a good mascara is important to me

Connie De Alwis said...

Jamilla: I think you'll love it! Yeah, I know Maybelline's a Western brand under L'Oreal but the mascaras they produce to market over here are Asia-exclusive formulations. Thus, I consider the Maybelline mascaras we have here as "Asian". Hope that wasn't too confusing. LOL!

ning*star: It volumizes more than it lengthens. Sadly, I can't use The Magnum :( Great mascara but harsh on my lashes

Grace Chan said...

oh wow! LOL maybe i want one now =X
maybe when the makeup show rolls around ill pick up one for myself =D

Connie De Alwis said...

Grace: Hehe. I wonder how much cheaper it'll be at the show. If it's less than 20% might as well get from Sephora during their FnF

❤ Ee Von said...

gosh sounds like a great mascara! and rm105 omg, that's even more expensive than lancome! i still love my covergirl lash blast and sasa super dolly. if i can get this with a good deal i'll definitely give it a try! you always have the most comprehensive review :)

gio said...

Wow, your lashes look wonderful and dramatic, love it! I don't like paying a lot for mascaras either but I think I'll have to give in and try this one. :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Ee Von: I would never get it at RM105 though! $22 dollars is still acceptable but I'm trying to get it at less. Ahh... I was very close to getting the covergirl lash blast but decided to save up for my 2nd tube of Smoky Lash. Plus I still have one new mascara and one unopened one.

Gio: It's expensive but I LOVE it!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy