Skin Deco

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Review + Comparison: Western Mascaras

Read this post and you'll know that I'm not a fan of Western mascaras. Yes, Western mascaras are significantly different from Asian mascaras.

Though I usually don't buy Western mascara (unless I'm really curious), they do somehow or rather make their way into my stash through gifts and sets. With my hopes set low, I'd still give them a few tries.

The ones that I've recently tested are:
  • Clinique High Impact Mascara
  • MAC Zoom Lash Mascara
  • Stila Major Lash Mascara
Read on for the reviews...


Clinique High Impact (USD$14): Medium-sized brush is manageable and bristles do help separate lashes. Least creamy formula. Doesn't hold up a curl nor does it lengthen or volumize much. Minimal smudging. Very mediocre. Non-waterproof and washes out with warm water

MAC Zoom Lash (USD$13): Cone-shaped brush is easy to use and able to coat hard-to-reach lashes. Formula is creamy and a dark black, making lashes look thick. Not much lengthening. Doesn't hold up a curl but doesn't terribly weigh them down either. Least likely to smudge. Have a tendency to clump. Best out of the three but not a mascara that I'd reach for often. Non-waterproof and washes out with warm water

Stila Major Lash (USD$22): Straight brush. Thickest, creamiest and driest formula out of the three and provides hardly any volume or length. Will clump if over-applied. Weighs down lashes. Non-waterproof and washes out with warm water

*Not sure of the local prices for Clinique and MAC but should be over RM60



While none of these Western mascaras did it for me, I actually did manage to find one that I, surprisingly, really love. That mascara deserves a dedicated post. Stay tuned for it

18 comments:

LyNn said...

cant wait for the post for the one that works for you

Grace Chan said...

western mascara tend to clump on me :[ or well the curl doesn't hold long.

Zephyr said...

Try MUFE Smoky Lash. It's the best mascara i've ever used.

Meldee said...

Awesome review :) I'm personally a Maybelline girl all the way, though I am using Stila's multi-effect mascara now!

Connie De Alwis said...

Lynn: at least now you know which one doesn't ;)

Grace: stick with Asian mascaras! :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Zephyr: I have it :)

Meldee: Same here! I buy Maybelline Turbo Boost over and over again. Best one there is

coco said...

thanks for the review. i'm now back to using masacara and i know to steer away from these.

❤ Ee Von said...

i've been so busy so haven't had the time to drop by blogs lately! missed reading yours! :D

oohh have you tried the mascara sold in sasa, BY sasa?? i love it!!

gio said...

Thanks for the reviews. Can't wait to know which mascara works well for you.

theotherworldly said...

Hi Connie,

The Japanese make really, really good mascaras. Trust me on this! I've been loving myself some Fasio mascara again (one of my oldest favourites).

Dani said...

i didn't know there was such a thing as "Asian Mascaras." i must find a place that sells these! shouldn't be too hard since vancouver is just teeming with Asian people.

i can't wait to see which mascara you loved!

-dani
http://onemustbe.blogspot.com/

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

This is a great review!!!! :) Sadly, i live in the US so it's hard to buy Asian mascaras unless I go to Asian stores where the price typically doubles or triples from the prices in Asia. Also read your review about the Maybelline Colossal Volum' and the Magnum. I had no idea they released that in Asia!

Great post! :) Will be following :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Coco: Glad you found the reviews helpful :) Good luck finding a mascara that works for you!

Ee Von: Glad to see you again! I've never tried the sasa one before mostly because I'm so put off by the dried out testers. I really wanna try the new silky girl one (promising brush) and the new majolica one

Gio: I'm terrible at putting out reviews without taking forever!

Connie De Alwis said...

theotherworldly: I do agree! I quite like Fasio but their mascaras are impossible to remove! I have one review coming up

Dani: Hope you'll be able to find some Asian mascaras where you live :)

Rainy Days and Lattes: I can imagine! American brands (eg. Maybelline) should definitely release their Asian formulations in the US to cater to the Asian market. And I'm sure non-Asians would also like Asian mascaras

Jyoan said...

Oh, now you've got me sitting up! Waiting for your post too!

I agree with you... =((( Pretty coincident that I just blogged about MAC plush lash. hahaha. I wanna complain. Why is it that the makeup authority does not have a good mascara? =(((

Jyoan said...

Dear Connie, I just read your replies about Sasa and Majolica. You really, really should get them if you need a mascara. Sasa holds the spot for best all-rounder, for me. It's curling is powerful, and it lengthens to give the dolly effect, literally.

But for specific properties, like volumizing, I stick to Maybelline. The Majolica one is for volumizing, and it works!!! I managed to find a nice runny tester to try out. I don't own that yet because I bought the old version just two months ago, and it's still not opened.

Jenny said...

Everyone in the west knows that namebrand mascaras arent as good as drugstore. Ive tried both the stila and mac one. and i hate it.

the preference over here is to use drugstore (i.e. covergirl lashblast, loreal voluminous, and maybelline full and soft are very good ones)

Connie De Alwis said...

Jyon: Well, a single brand cannot have the best of everything, can it? ;) Ooh, another supported for Sasa! Will check it out

Jenny: To a certain degree, I do agree with you. I've tried Western drugstore mascaras (Lash Stiletto, Telescopic, Colossal) and they still don't work for me despite good reviews. 2000 Calorie and Rimmel Glam Eyes aren't too bad though but they still don't hold a curl like Asian mascaras do

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy