Skin Deco

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Advanced Beauty Treatments: Microdermabrasion and Ultrasound

Most of us rely on over-the-counter skin care products to achieve our ideal complexion. Some of us would even go for a monthly facial to boost the process. While we are willing to try brands after brands of products, we tend to stop at anything that borderlines extreme. Although advanced beauty treatments that go beyond steams and masks are quite common nowadays, the stakes are still higher as there is a very real risk of side effects.

Curiosity got the better of me when I was given the opportunity to experience microdermabrasion and ultrasound skin treatment at a very irresistible price. By the end of the 2-hour session, I came out with a huge smile, renewed skin and comparison pictures to show.

Read on...


Early this week, I went for my free facial (voucher compliments of A Cut Above) appointment at Facial First in Boulevard, Mid Valley. Over the years I've been to a number of facials including free ones and I've never been compelled to upgrade my session or sign up for any packages. This time, however, was refreshingly albeit dangerously (made me spend more money!) different. The salon's ambiance, while comfortable, is nothing to shout about. What got me hooked was my consultation with facial consultant, June Tan. Not to blow my own horn but I know the tricks up the sleeves of a salesperson well and I'm usually impervious to sweet talk. But give me straight forward no bullshit honesty and I'll start to weaken. June gave me that with extra doses of knowledge, sincerity and attentiveness. I couldn't say no.

My hydrating treatment session (worth RM500) comprised of a basic facial, several masks, microdermabrasion, blackhead extraction and ultrasound.

Microdermabrasion

The process involves a specialized tool shooting a stream of tiny crystals to remove the out most layer of the skin (stratum corneum) and a vacuum collecting the used crystals and dead skin for disposal. The suction felt like cellophane tape on the skin repeatedly applied and removed. You can read more about how microdermabrasion works here.

This procedure encourages the formation of new and healthy skin cells to replace the ones that have been removed.



Ultrasound Skin Treatment

The ultrasound promotes activity at the deeper layers of the skin to increase fibroblast activity needed to increase collagen production as well as signal the fibroblast cells into repairing tissue damage. Read more about ultrasound skin treatment here.

Improvements to my skin after the facial:
  • Firm
  • Smoother and more refined texture
  • Less discoloration
  • Less sallow
  • Less apparent laugh lines (Nasolabial/Marionette lines)
  • Less severe forehead lines
  • Better absorption of skin care
  • Less dry, especially in the mornings
  • Foundation goes on smoothly and doesn't cake
I believe that my current skin care regimen has also been contributing to these improvements but while my skin felt and looked better overall before the procedures, the change didn't seem too visibly dramatic. Perhaps the outer layer prevented my healthier skin from surfacing?



My fine lines have been stagnant on that outer layer and now that it's gone, my skin looked significantly more 'youthful'. I've been bothered by those lines on my forehead for a very long time so I am extremely pleased with the results.


I would've loved to sign up for the package and go for the procedures a few more times but I'm not willing to give up food for beautiful skin. One day when I can actually afford these treatments, I'd definitely want to have them done again.

If you're really interested in this facial, I'd suggest that you arrange for a consultation with the salon. The prices advertised are not fixed aka negotiable so depending on your arrangements with the consultant, you may be able to get a good deal for the services. Special discounts are also offered to students. Call 03-2287 8830

15 comments:

ning * star said...

oh Connie, if special discount for the session u did cost how much? RM500?
but the results is really good!

Connie De Alwis said...

The original advertised price is RM500. I think the discount varies from person to person so I wouldn't know how much it would cost you if you went for the treatment :-/

LyNn said...

RM 500 is for one treatment?
but the results on the lines were great!
i mean its so much lighter on you.

❤ Ee Von said...

gosh the outcome is sooooooo tempting!!! i'll check it out when i've saved up enough for it :D thanks for the info/review! btw, have you heard of dermanew?

Kizzy-online said...

Wow, the difference is really noticeable! Looks great!

Slowbrogal said...

Wow..I saw significant results!! I went for Kanebo facial today. I don't see significant results through the process is relaxing.

Dani said...

those are great results!

i can't wait to get a proper facial one of these days. thanks for sharing with us!

Esther said...

wow, there's really an obvious improvement.
I also have fine lines on my forehead which bothers me as well
I believe it's caused by dry dehydrated skin

Ida said...

Wow. I really want my forehead to look like your 'after' photo! Very nice results.

Connie De Alwis said...

Lynn: Insane right? but I didn't pay RM500, of course

Ee Von: I love the effect so much that I'm now looking at home microdermabrasion products. hee hee hee. Dermanew? :-/

Connie De Alwis said...

Kizzy: Thanks!

Slowbrogal: I get what you mean! The facials that I've been too previously didn't do much for my skin except that I got to relax and feel pampered. I usually sleep through facials but I couldn't sleep through this one because the process was so interesting

Connie De Alwis said...

Dani: Thanks!

Esther: Hydration plays a big part in preventing lines. I have a very dry forehead and to think that my lines are so prominent before I hit mid twenties!

Ida: Keep this procedure in mind, maybe? ;) Thanks

gio said...

Wow, the results are obvious and great! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

i had just tried the facial at Facial First as recommended, and now they have a promotion for 1st timer which only cost RM128....the results and services is real good. Two thumbs up for Facial First!1

Seh Ling said...

Thanks for recommending Facial First. I went for it and I like the end result. I have sensitive skin and the good thing is I didn't come out with a red-faced like I always do after facial treatments. I do agree that their service is good!! Although the result is not as abvious as yours, but hopefully the condition of my skin will improve after a few sessions! ;)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy