Skin Deco

Friday, January 15, 2010

Review: Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse SPF17 PA++

Cream, gel, balm, fluid... mousse?

While the Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse is no stranger to makeup enthusiasts worldwide, you must admit that this is a pretty peculiar product! But then again, most mousse-textured makeup are.

Being one of their bestsellers, this makeup base is iconic to Shu Uemura alongside their Eyelash Curler and Cleansing Oil. So, we know those two "icons" aren't exactly essential... how about this one?

Read on!

Don't mistaken the Shu Uemura UV Under Base Mousse for hair mousse! Although, the dispensing concept is the same. Shake the canister until you hear a rattling sound made by the the metal ball inside, shake some more, then press the tab. What you'll get out of the nozzle is a cute fluffy ball of beige mousse. Aww... don't you just wanna pet it? Okay. Creepy, sorry. Just make sure to shake thoroughly or the base will come out as an ugly chunky liquid. It is what it is!

As you spread the mousse onto your skin, it'll become liquid thus, I'd suggest working on one area at a time. The blob size shown in the picture above is more than sufficient for the whole face.

Some squinting may be required but you should be able to notice reduced redness and appearance of marks as well as discoloration. The makeup base did not mattify my skin nor did it moisturize, which I appreciate. You see, sometimes there's just no need for those alterations. I love that the mousse allows the natural glow of my skin to come through. The airy mousse feels remarkably lightweight too -- we need a foundation in this form!

Fulfilling its skin-prepping duties for the next step, the mousse made the texture of my skin look and feel finer. My foundation went on smoothly, stayed on, hardly oxidized, and all that good stuff. The added SPF17 PA++ (SPF10 in the US) is a bonus although I'd prefer to use a separate sunscreen.

What's the big deal, right? Many makeup bases do that. Pffft!

I can't put a finger on what makes this mousse so special and from a analytical perspective, it's pretty basic. But there's just something about it that's making me reach for it again and again and again. It's my foolproof when-in-doubt makeup base.

Let's not spoil the moment by talking about the packaging, shall we?

Retails at all Shu Uemura counters for RM135/65g and USD$32/2.2 oz on the US Shu Uemura website.

By the way, the fluid version of this base... *shakes head*

14 comments:

xin said...

i love this too!!! i think my foundation lasts longer, and less greasy with this.

Askmewhats said...

I own the UV base but I haven't tried it yet, I guess I just have so many samples I still haven't tried because I am scared of loving it and needing to repurchase :) hahaha

Sue said...

I have this too! pity it has such a short life span (coz i used up too fast -_-") lol!

Lisa said...

Hi Connie, I saw your comment on MakeupforLife's blog about Megan fox and had to LOL!!! Had to visit you site too and tell you I COMPLETELY agree with you! I noticed you're an nc35 (I'm a nc30-35) so I'm def. gonna keep readin', I love when I find a foundation twin =)

ning * star said...

hmm, this is similar like a mousse BB cream from etude house.... i think this should be very convenient when u are rushing....

Connie De Alwis said...

xin: Great to know that it works for you! :D

Nikki: Give it a try! I know of some people who don't like this base so probably you may not like it too? there's hope! :p

Sue: *gulps* I should start using it sparingly then!

Lisa: Glad to have gained you as a reader! I hope you'll find my posts here helpful. Looking forward to more comments from you :)

ning*star: The etude house one seems to give more coverage. I was very tempted to try that one! but again, color problem >.<

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) said...

i so want to try this each time i go to the boutique. but the spray can just prevents me from getting it. the after pic really convenienced me. so should i be a part of culprit endangering our precious planet earth? (so corny (not conny)!)

Anita (*swtexcape*) said...

wow that mousse looks SO strange! i've never used anything like it before. it really does seem to make your face glow! i have a feeling my oily skin won't like it very much tho :( too bad! thanks for sharing :D xx

Hayley said...

Lol, that mousse looks like a cream puff to me :P

Monica said...

I want to try this! Can't wait to get over to Asia to buy it:)

Connie De Alwis said...

Jojoba: ah... a little spray can won't hurt? It's those hairstylists with their hairsprays that should be faulted with endangering the planet!

Anita: The funny thing is, it allowed my natural glow to surface but didn't make my skin any oilier or felt greasy. Xin has oily skin and apparently it's working for her! so, you'll never know until you try eh?

Hayley: I know! so cute right? :p

Monica: Hope you'll like it :) Quite a tricky product, this one

Apple said...

I received this as a birthday gift unfortunately I have no idea when it goes on! My skincare/makeup routine is pretty simple, after washing I slap on moisturizer, tinted sunblock and loose powder. So at which step does this UV base come in?
Would really appreciate the help, thanks!

Connie De Alwis said...

Apple: The SPF for this one is insufficient so I'd suggest using it over your sunblock then proceed with your foundation/powder. I personally would use a colourless sunblock underneath though.

Renee said...

Your review was very helpful. but i can't find the product anywhere on the shu uemura website.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy