Skin Deco

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Review + New Stuff: I Spot a Dupe!

Seen this thinga machiga in Daiso before? From my first visit to Daiso (which was over a year back) until my most recent one just two weeks ago, the Daiso Eyebrow Coat has always been on my radar. Though rather interesting, I never did find the need for an "eyebrow coat". A year later, still with the curiosity and 5 bucks to spare, I picked one up just because.

This clear liquid is supposed to make eyebrow makeup "waterploof" (that's what it says on the packaging!). As I started to use this, I was reminded of a similar-looking high end product that presents the same concept.

Can you guess what product that is? Read on!


My eyebrows were filled in with eyebrow POWDER over no primer. I simply applied the fast-drying liquid over my eyebrows in small strokes. The color of my eyebrow powder deepened but only very slightly.
The 12 hours is inclusive of a 3-hour nap and I do somersaults in my sleep.

Pretty amazing, right??!! It also acts as an eyebrow gel, keeping hair in place.

So, have you figured out which high end product that the Daiso Eyebrow Coat resembles?


Give yourself 100 points if you guessed Benefit She Laq!
The last time I've used this product was a little over 3 years ago when it was RM90 (USD$30) for a bottle with 4 brushes. I'm sure the price has hiked up since then.

I wasn't too bothered with She Laq since it didn't make much of a difference in making my makeup last longer plus it dulled colors down.

Let's do a little comparison of ingredients...

Benefit She Laq: Water, SD Alcohol 40-B, Acrylates/Octylacylamide Copolymer, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea

Daiso Eyebrow Coat: Water, PVP, Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

She Laq claims to seal eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara and eyebrow makeup. Although I haven't tried using the Eyebrow Coat on my other eye makeup, I'm pretty sure it'll work fantastically. Have a look at the smudge test below:


Tested on non-waterproof liquid liner, pencil liner, cream eyeshadow and powder eyeshadow. Top swatch is without Daiso Eyebrow Coat and bottom swatch is with. You can tell that the colors deepened slightly and the powder eyeshadow looks more vibrant


No smudging! The cream eyeshadow budged only ever so slightly. It's the top swatch's smudging that's overlapping it.

Convinced yet? Go buy it! This is a very handy product that every makeup kit should have and the best part is, it costs less than a McChicken burger.


Su-Pah (Treasure Trove of Makeup) and I did a little swap few weeks back. I've been wanting to try out some UK drugstore brands so I got a Sleek Eyeshadow Palette, Gosh Lip Jam and Gosh Effect Powder. Su-Pah was super sweet to include some extra goodies which included two H&M Masks, a Hello Kitty Lip Balm tin, Barry M Dazzle Dust and a huge slab of chocolate!
Thanks, girl!


My elf order package came too. The Studio Blush Brush is flat and has a small head -- I've been looking for such a blush brush for the longest time. The Studio Concealer I just wanted to try but I'm a tad concerned since it's looking a little pink. Then I got myself two empty compacts to put in some of my I Nuovi eyeshadows and also pressed pigments, which I'm working on at the moment.

23 comments:

Bex said...

but where to get it from - non on fleabay aaahhh!!!

Christina said...

Interesting about the Daiso Eyebrow coat...I have a store near me so I think I must give it a shot! My eyebrows tend to go crazy sometimes (especially when I sleep on my face all night). Thanks hun!

Kizzy-online said...

I was JUST at Daiso, but I didn't see this eyebrow coat there :-( Boohoo!

Sue said...

how come you girls always find something in DAISO? I went there last year and I didn't find any make up that appeals to me and the selection is so little -_- gah! and now DAISO is 4 hours away from me. T_T

ning * star said...

nice swap!I actuall didn't try Barry M items yet, but the goodies are so tempting

Chloevien said...

There's no way to find Daiso here in Europe, as always:(What I use for my eyebrow is brow powder over UDPP, which it works but I'm not against cheaper alternative. Whatever, I believe you're gonna have fun with Sleek Palette, awesome palette! And if you're interested, Illamasqua has 50% for all soon-to-be- discontinued items.

shaynaJo said...

Connie, thanks for the great find! All the while I've been thinking if I should get Benefit SheLaq..I think I'll this Daiso eyebrow coat coz it is so cheap!
I used to spend a lot of time in Daiso too, standing and staring at their cosmetics collection and didn't know which 1 to get. ahaha... *feels like running to Daiso now* =D

❤ Ee Von said...

omg this is a must have!!! i'm so glad i found your blog hihihi. thanks for the review! and i guessed she laq, but thank goodness i read this post of yours now i can save RM100+! btw do u know where's daiso in kl?

SueLynn76 said...

OOohhhh...I love the ELF brush too! My face is so small, and most blush brushes are just too big! And it works great for highlighting too! The tip is just right for my flat nose :P

Eeekk! You got hold of the Sleek palette? REVIEW, please!

Askmewhats said...

hmm..that is such a good dupe and the price is definitely cheaper! your brows look gorgeous

Yani said...

I'm anal about my eyebrows, so this is something I MUST try out, and at such a bargain! Thanks for the review!

Connie De Alwis said...

Bex: You'll have to look in Daiso (http://www.daiso-sangyo.co.jp/english/storeinfo/storeinfo03.html) but I'm not sure if it's available where you are. I also got to know from Fuzkittie's (http://www.fuzkittie.com/2009/06/belated-mihoko-haul.html) post that the eyebrow coat is available from MihokoShop. However, that site is awfully hard to navigate so I couldn't find the eyebrow coat.

Christina: You're welcome! It's quite an awesome product :)

Kizzy-online: With so many product they have there it's easy to overlook it. Hope you'll be able to find it in your next visit to Daiso

Connie De Alwis said...

Sue: Have to go through a lot of trials and errors also. hehe. and they're kinda slow in stocking up so the past few times that I was there I couldn't find anything good. even my eyebrow pencil got only one left.

ning*star: Barry M Dazzle Dust is pretty good. I haven't tried other stuff from Barry M though. I hear that they're foundation and blush are not too bad either

Chloevien: It's too bad that you can't find Daiso in Europe! I frequently use the UDPP as my eyebrow base and that works as well. To be honest, I often forget to apply the eyebrow coat :p I'm looking forward to using the sleek palette! loads of pretty colors I see in there. You know, I never know what to get from Illamasqua

Connie De Alwis said...

ShaynaJo: Now we know that there's a much cheaper alternative! yay! :D

Ee von: The ones that I know of are The Curve, Sungei Wang and IOI Mall. Benefit's trying to rip us off! Lol

SueLynn: I haven't actually used it yet though. hehe. But I'll take your word for it! I've got so much makeup to go through the review will probably come some time later. But I can always update you with my two cents via chat ;)

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: Thank you, dear. :D I wasn't expecting it to work even but I'm glad it did

Yani: You're welcome! I'm sure you'll love it :)

Slowbrogal said...

This eyebrow coat look too promising for RM5..Shall head to Daiso soon ^^

nikkiz. said...

I have this and I got it at Daiso, too. I love it coz it just makes my brows stay put the whole day which is what I like.

germaine said...

Connie! Maybe this one can help the eyeshadow to not crease to, it is possible for it to do that? did it cause any allergy to your eye area? do try and tell me pls...thanks connie :)

LyNn said...

thanks for sharing
im gonna go grab that from daiso now
i've tried their eyeliner coat which is awesome but always oos
glad that this can work with liners too :D

xin said...

i wonder if the formula is the same as the eyeliner coat....but even the eyeliner coat didnt work well for me, i will definitely get this if i see it...since it is cheaper than a mc chicken. LOL

Connie De Alwis said...

Slowbrogal: go go go! :D

nikkiz: Great product, isn't it?

Germaine: So far no allergies for me but like with all products, the outcome may vary from person to person

Lynn: I wonder if the formula is similar :-/

Xin: I wonder too! I've never seen the eyeliner coat though. this coat makes makeup smudge proof but not so much waterproof and maybe not oil proof either!

gio said...

The Daiso Eyebrow Coat looks interesting, too bad we don't have it here.

great swap! I'm sure you'll love the Sleek palette, it's awesome! And so are the Barry M Dazzle Dusts! Enjoy your goodies and can't wait to hear what you think about them.

su-pah said...

I have she-laq and it's pretty good I must say but pricey, yes.
W00t! Glad you liked the stuff and that the chocolate didn't get ruined in transit! :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy