Skin Deco

Friday, January 29, 2010

Eyebrows Are Sisters, Not Twins

But mine are cousins *sobs* The hairs like to grow in different directions...
Since I haven't been to a professional brow groomer in quite a bit, I thought I'd take shaping into my own hands.

Mind you, I lack the skill in determining the shape of my brows simply by feeling my bone structure (that's what experts do!) so what I did was I dissected my brows with some basic geometry. I'll explain what each colored line means and take you through step by step how I shape and fill in my eyebrows.

Read on!


Note: This shaping method should apply to most oriental Asian features. If you have a more prominent brow bone, this may not work for you. Please consult a professional eyebrow groomer if you haven't already have shaped eyebrows. The measurements do not have to be precise

Red: The "head" of you brow should start at the vertical line of where the inner corner of your eye is. If you have wide set eyes, you may overlap the line and if you have close set eyes, you can move in towards the eye

Blue: The bottom tip of the "head" and the "tail" should end on the same horizontal line

Yellow: A more common way to determine where the "tail" should end is the diagonal line that connects the side of your nose and the outer corner of your eye

Pink: Most eyebrow grooming guides would suggest the arch to be vertical to the outer side of the pupil. I prefer to place my arch slightly more towards the outer corner of my eye to make my eye appear longer/wider

Purple: The slant of the "tail" should be parallel to the outer slant of your eye

Green: The slant of the "body" should be diagonal and not so much curved. The top of the body should be parallel to the bottom. You may keep the same width throughout the entire body but I prefer to make the top of the arch more rounded so that my brows won't look too pointy, which can result it to look rather harsh


Let's start marking! You'll need a white pencil and a ruler...

First you mark the "head" where your brow should begin. Next, mark the horizontal line to determine where the "tail" ends


Then, mark the horizontal line where your arch should be. Following that, match up the pinnacle of your arch with the other side of your brow by placing the ruler horizontally


After that, mark the diagonal line of the "body". To mark where your eyebrow should end, simply place the ruler at the side of your nose joining up to the outer corner of the eye

The region marked in white is where you tweeze! To make tweezing less painful, do it when your out of a hot shower or apply a warm compress to the brow area prior to tweezing


This is what the brow looks like after tweezing


Using a spoolie, brush your hair upwards and the bits sticking out should be where you trim the brows with a brow grooming scissors

Now we can start filling them brows in!


Using an eyebrow pencil, wax or powder, draw the bottom line of the "body" and the "tail"


Using the bottom line as a guide, start filling in the rest of the brow and define the arch. There's no need to fill in the "head"


Using an angled eyebrow brush, blend the color from the "body" to the "head". Use a cotton bud to clean up any messes or to tone down the arch


We're done! If you've made it through this daunting tutorial, give yourself a pat on the back. Well-groomed brows take practice and a lot of slip-ups but they're worth the trouble. When I first discovered makeup, I never did bother much about my eyebrows but as I dabbled in deeper, I've come to realize that the eyebrows can make or break a look. Don't worry if it takes forever for you to get your brows looking right, you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Good luck!


22 comments:

❤ Ee Von said...

this is great! very very informative and helpful! i agree, eyebrows can make or break a look! i can never do my makeup without doin my brows.

Sue said...

This is very precise! But I'm not sure why mine looked very harsh after I did all the things(after doing the final draw).>.< Maybe I should practice more.

xin said...

i always have problem trimming too much hair on the brow on the vertical line!!!! my aunt taught me so many times before and yet I still couldn't get the hang of it. and my brows are cousins too! one shorter one longer. i prob need to get 1 or 2 stitches of embroidery to make the tail same length at least

SueLynn76 said...

Woah! Reminds me of AutoCad! Great guidelines :)

My brows just need el-cheapo clear mascara to keep them in line - that's it! ^_^ And a sharp razor to keep the bushiness in check...

Finally, ONE thing I don't need to work on LOL

SueLynn76 said...

Oh! This has gotta be Michelle Phan's most quotable quote :P

Jamilla Camel said...

Very informative!! My brows are just like yours--they grow in all directions!!

ning * star said...

very informative. ha~ u can do it yourself. I've long time didn't trim mine. gonna trim it soon using this method! thank u

Fifi said...

My eyebrows are pretty hard to tame too! And they're bushy so I'll chicken out already when I try to trim them myself. lol

Your method is pretty cool, I'd love to try it! Thanks for sharing :D

donnarence said...

you brows look perfect.. thanks for this.. i need redefine my brows better.. yours look awesome..

theotherworldly said...

Hi Connie, your eyebrows look perfectly arched! That's beautiful. For me, the toughest is to let both brows look similar. My left brow is lower and shorter, so even the way the hairs grow are different ... its hard to get them to look like sisters, let alone twins. :)

Askmewhats said...

this is the best eyebrow tutorial i've seen! thanks for this Connie, I understood everything loud and clear with the right color coding! :) Your brows look gorgeous!!!

Grace Chan said...

oo woww! ;] imma try this next time. i randomly tweeze my brows.. well the stray hair. lol =X

Alyssamae. said...

This is great! I could definitely use this! Thanks a bunch Connie! :)

gio said...

Thanks for this, it's very informative. Your eyebrows look gorgeous!

vnssa906 said...

Connie!! thanks so much for posting this! if i don't attack my eyebrows over a span of 3 days, they will take on their own life form! lol

k n i t t i e s said...

This is an excellent article... thanks so much for sharing! My eyebrows are not even related anymore *sob*... But I do try to fill them in as identical as possible. I don't really know how to shape them properly and usually go to Shu Uemura for the service. Then I'll just tweeze the strays at home.

su-pah said...

This is handy stuff! Thanks a bunch!
Also, don't worry, mine a veery distant relatives!

Lavender said...

thanks Connie. Your tutorial is very good.

BEJeeJeeFIED said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BEJeeJeeFIED said...

thanks for this tutorial. i did my brows few days ago and good to know that my eyebrows almost match your descriptions, but i left it a little thicker than what you did and a little shorter coz i have wide face, so i need to "trick" it with my makeup and hairstyle.. i feel so much confidence when i achieved what i really want with my brows.. hahaha!

Ivana said...

I just want to say my sincere thanks for introducing this guide to us. I esp loved your photo demonstrations -- I did them today, and for once, my eyebrows didn't come out bushy and weird looking. Fabulous tutorial!

For the record, I've also seen a bunch of guides for eyebrows online, and they are not as thorough as yours.

I'll be recommending this site to all my friends!

Mara said...

Wow great stuff! I've been looking for an "eyebrow guide" for a while now...

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy