Skin Deco

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Review: Urban Decay Get Baked Eyeshadow Palette

While I have the self-control to resist cute packagings, it’s a whole other story when it comes to gold and blue eyeshadows. If you want a pink eyeshadow, I’m not your girl but if it’s gold or blue that you need, you’ll have literally a dozen to choose from. So, when I was given the chance to get the Urban Decay Get Baked Palette at 5 dollars off, I jumped at it. I promise, the cute packaging was just a bonus to the drool-worthy colors. Adding more value to this palette was a deluxe sized Eyeshadow Primer Potion and a 24/7 Eye Pencil.

Ok, now I have more than a dozen gold and blue eyeshadows… I’m telling you, makeup is a very addictive hobby! Get out while you can – and I’ll gladly adopt your makeup.

Enough rambling! Read on for the review, swatches and all that jazz…

And that was all the glee I have for this post. Don’t you just hate it when a product puts a damper on your excitement 'cause it's not as great as you'd expected it to be? *sighs*

Look at those swatches. Stunning, aren't they?

Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Sin: This is the champagne shimmer version of the legendary original UDPP. It adds an extra sheen to eyeshadows while helping them to stay on longer. I like using this under matte eyeshadows to add some shimmer

24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Bourbon: Rich brown with some gold sparkle. A great quality eye pencil that applies smoothly and stays on for a good amount of time

Twice Baked: Dark brown with gold glitter. The most usable shade out of the bunch. The shimmers are less intense and the texture's more blendable since it's more powdery than the others. Unfortunately, since it's in a palette, it'll probably be forgotten

Half Baked: Tamer version of Baked. Makes my lids look really swollen. Frosty and not versatile for frequent usage

Flipside: Not quite electric teal with blue sheen. The shadow seems to be translucent so I don't fancy using this color for the lid. Pretty for the lower lashline, though

Baked: Rich, in-your-face, bronze. I feel it's more gold, actually. Uber frosty and not versatile for frequent usage

If you're wondering what the fuss is all about, it's the frost. Frost is bad for me. Shimmer's awesome but frost... it makes me look like Quasimodo. I may be Asian but my eyes don't even look that fleshy without makeup.

Look #1: Swollen eyes... I don't wanna talk about it

Look #2: Better but the Baked is so distracting! I'll keep it for my bolder looks

Oh well, at least the overall effect still turned out to be okay... Yes, I'm full of myself. I know by now that I won't be using much of that palette and it's safe to say that I won't be keen on buying any more Urban Decay eyeshadows... all so frosty! I might wanna give the Deluxe Eyeshadow a try though as the colors don't look frosty. I'm starting to lose interest in Urban Decay despite all the hype and creative packaging. The products are simply not agreeing with me! :( What else is there to try from Urban Decay? I want to love this brand so much for many many reasons but there's not one product that truly is spectacular (UDPP aside).

Conclusion: I love that I have this palette but I don't love it

This USD$53 valued palette retails for USD$28. Available from Urban Decay and Beauty.com.
Malaysian residents can get this product via sgdrgstore

18 comments:

Fifi said...

LOL. Aww come on, you can NEVER look like Quasimodo! I love the look that you did. It's very pretty with the blue e/s on your lower lashline! Thanks for these swatches & the review :)

su-pah said...

sigh, don't know what all the fuss is about girl, you look absolutely gorgeous!

Connie De Alwis said...

Fifi: :x thank you. I LOVE wearing color on my lower lashline. simply makes the look pop. you're welcome!

Su-pah: You're too kind *blushes* well, the picture was taken a day before my birthday so I guess happiness can look better than any ol' makeup ;)

prettybeautiful said...

how did u make the color look so fab on your lower lashline? and when i wear it i think i look weird...

Sue Lynn said...

U a BLUE AND GOLD babe?

I'm a GREEN AND GOLD girl, ALLLLL THE WAAYYYY...What can I say? I'm very yellow, so these colours work best...

Blues and purples are harder for me to pull off :(

akiki said...

their colours are really pigmented~
like them

Blovet Beauty said...

wow! ur eyes look so big and bright! I love urban decay pdts!!

La Estrella said...

u look great...and i love the sin UDPP.

Jamilla Camel said...

Your eyes looking like shimmering beacons!! What a gorgeous look!!

And no, you're eyes don't look swollen!

coco said...

if you're worried about frosty, don't use all the color from the same palette. i think the gold look great on you.

gio said...

You look gorgeous, Connie! Thanks for the reviw and swatches, the shades all look so beautiful and pigmented.

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) said...

hey your eyes popped even sitting in the car! i know how dark it can be in the car so yeah, this is definitely a great palette for you. love the blue and brozne, one of my favourite combination. some might find that odd but it's actually really pretty.

ps: i didn't know this palette existed at all! not really a UD person. *_*

Jenn said...

Ok what!! Where got Quasimodo??? :S

But yeah, frosty shadows are not for everyday use! I love them but they're just not suitable for the office.

And i'm curious about Sin! :D

Chloevien said...

Dear Connie, are kidding me? Quasimodo?? *tickle Connie with a pork, hehehe* Urban Decay Eyeshadow is not easy to work with, IMO, especially for beginner like me, but I know somehow you're gonna make that baby work for you, look at #2.

Chloevien said...

Oh well typo as always *lol* Not pork but fork, geez....:) whatever you look gorgeous:)

Connie De Alwis said...

Pretty: You can try darker shades of the color. That should be easier to pull off :) For instance if you have brown eyeshadow on the lid, you can use like a dark green on the lower lash line

Sue Lynn: I am! Hehe. I love greens too but apparently I don't have a lot of them. Loads of olives and chartreuse though. My blues have to warm. purple's not so much my color either

akiki: They're well pigmented :)

Blovet Beauty: Thanks :)

La Estrella: Thank you. Sin's a pretty color indeed

Connie De Alwis said...

Jamilla: Aww, you're too kind :) Thank you

Coco: I ended up using those colors on their own instead of together which sucks cuz the palette is supposed to have complementary colors

Gio: Thank you :)

Jojoba: Thanks :D It was quite a sunny day!

Jenn: I looking down ma so not obvious :p I prefer satin or pearl finishes. I have MAC Paint in Stilife and it's pretty similar to Sin

Chloevien: LOL!!! I have cute images of being tickled with a pork :p I don't think a fork can be all that ticklish!

Thanks :) I've lost interest in UD shadows though. I'll perhaps wanna try the Deluxe Shadow but that's the end

Anonymous said...

maybe try the matte urban decay eyeshadows? i've heardthey're creamy and pigmented, and UD is generally great for blues and golds. might be up your alley. i'm waiting for an order to arrive, but no blues among my matte orders

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy