Skin Deco

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Review: MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural

It's a powder! It's a foundation! It's MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural! *phew* That was quite a mouthful. Didn't quite fit in the dramatic quote, did it? This product is not to be mistaken with the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish which are bronzers/blushers/highlights depending on the color. So their packaging and dome shape are practically identical as with all of MAC's baked cosmetics but the featured product for this post is a actually a powder-cum-foundation (Lol! Cum -- sorry).

Got it? Now, moving on to the review...

"A luxurious domed face powder with minerals, slowly baked to provide a dimensional yet natural-matte finish. Provides perfect low coverage. Use to set and fix foundation or as a touch-up throughout the day."

As mentioned in the introduction, the MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural is a powder-cum-foundation (Lol, cum). You can either use it to set liquid foundation as you would with a loose powder or layer on for coverage. Quite a nifty product, this is.

When I was considering this product, I was looking for an alternative to my HG Giorgio Armani Loose Powder. You see, I'm quite picky when it comes to setting powder because some will tend to cake on my face ruining my foundation altogether. Several MakeupAlley reviews and You Tube videos later, I decided that the MSF Natural was for me.

The finely-milled mineralize powder is pressed into a dome shape that's quite fragile though it's cute. Using a kabuki brush, there wasn't much fall-out when the brush was swirled. A decent amount of the product is picked up and buffs into the skin very easily. With this powder, I don't worry about uneven application or over-applying. That's how well it blends! If you're into contouring with powder, a darker shade of this product would be ideal too.

To match my NC35 skin tone, I got the MSF Natural in Medium Plus which is a pretty good match. The color is neutral with no overpowering undertones thus giving a completely natural coloration. The color's so neutral that it made my slightly pinkish Revlon ColorStay Foundation (Golden Beige) match better to my skin tone.

Two things that concerned me about this powder based on the description was "matte finish" and "low coverage". From the before-after picture I'm sure you can tell that those worries are out of the window. The powder blotted off the excess shine without inhibiting skin's natural glow. When layered on, the coverage is sufficient enough to very naturally conceal minor imperfections and discolorations. I was rather impressed, to say the least.

This has got to be one of my favorite products from MAC and I'm certainly not bothered to hunt for another setting powder for a long time to come. At RM115/10g (I think!), the price may seem steep but since it gave me more bang for a buck, it's totally worth it. Although, mine came from the US so it was USD$25... even better value! :D Comes in 8 shades.



23 comments:

cecobi said...

Again-another reviews from you that got my hands SOOOO itchy to get this MSFN ASAP!!! Your recommendations never fails me to get the very best from myriads of beauty products out there-never fails to burn my wallet too (T_T). As usual, connie-chiwa!!

Blovet Beauty said...

wow, ur skin looks very smooth and silky! u dun need much coverage, but I find the foundation made u look very flawless and it's a nice matte effect

Shilka said...

Ah, I gotta get this! :D Thx for the review! I am in mids of finding a perfect setting powder.

Khymm said...

i love this product too!

Connie De Alwis said...

Cecobi: LOL! What to do... if it's a great product, I'll have to rave ;)

Blovet Beauty: Aww, thanks. I like wearing this MSF alone for no-makeup days

Shilka: Hope it works out well for you as it did with me!

Kymm: Cool! A fellow fan of this product

Lu said...

I'm glad I saw this as I'm going to make my first ever Mac order soon and didn't realise that the Natural MSF was different to the other types oops lol!

Thanks for the review :) x

mimi said...

i LOVE MSF !! i have one in natural! =)

hi there! hope you don't mind if i link you =)

<3 mimi
http://lacklusterr.blogspot.com/

Slowbrogal said...

I love the outcome after MAC SA applied it on me and immediately bought it last week!!

Great reviews Connie. Btw, can this be use alone to correct discoloration and imprefection?

Chloevien said...

I have this as a present from my mom, haven't tried it yet. Is it the same quality like Giorgio Armani Loose Powder? (which I also love) I've recognized that MSF did nice job on you. Maybe I should try it:) Btw, you use ELF mineral e/s primer quite often now, have you already made a review? If you don't, please do it, somehow I trust your opinion:) And Connie, your joke about powder-cum-foundation, LOL!!!!

Connie De Alwis said...

Lu: You're welcome! What will you be ordering? :)

Mimi: Good to know that you do :) Sure, go ahead. thanks

Slowbrogal: In the picture I was using the MSF alone so yeah, you can definitely use it on its own to cover up minor imperfections. you could also add a concealer underneath if you're not keen on a separate foundation

Chloe: It's just as good, I would say. GA's powder is amazing but it's limited to only being a loose powder for setting foundation as it hardly gives any coverage. I wouldn't mind having another GA powder in future but for now I'm contented with this :)

I'm in the midst of testing it out actually. Hoping to get a review post out on multiple eyeshadow primers soon! ahhh.... I was being lame :p

Jenn said...

Can you believe that i don't own this one yet?! i can't either!! probably distracted by the LE stuff... MAC NEEDS to SLOW DOWN on releasing them!! haha!! :P

Great review BTW!! I just wish that this wasn't so fragile so that i can take it out with me for touch ups! :)

Sue Lynn said...

Can you believe I have one sitting in my drawer for 2 months and I daren't touch it (altho I HAD to have it :P)...

Heard people breaking out from it...Hhhmmm....Shall I take the plunge!???!

Luna said...

Great review! I got one in Medium Dark previously but it was too dark for me and I sold it (I'm NC30-35) so Medium Plus is prob a better match!

gio said...

Thanks for the review, I love how it looks on you. It's natural and makes your skin flawless.

Lipglossiping said...

Great review! I hate the MSF Natural/Shimmer and keep meaning to pick one up minus the shimmer bit. Thanks for knocking that particular want back up to the top of the list!

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: I don't have the energy to keep up with collections la. I'm usually very outdated one. haha

Sue Lynn: From what I've read, the breakouts are caused by an ingredient called isopropyl palmitate , which some people are sensitive towards. I'd say risk it cuz you may not break out from it ;)

Luna: Medium dark would definitely be too dark! MEdium Plus should be right for you :)

Gio: Welcome and thanks :)

Lipglossiping: Oh my, what was wrong with the natural/shimmer MSF? I was initially intrigued by that but I haven't seen it in real life.

lil said...

I love the coverage of the MSF Natural but it broke me out badly as with most MAC face prdts :(

*aly said...

Really love the MSF Natural too! I think it good when I over apply cuz I tend to do that but this one doesn't cake on me.. =) A lil pricey though IMO

dmj said...

oh i used to have one in medium dark. i think it was a bit too dark for me (but it look fantabulous during testing at the store). wore it anyway and friends keep asking if i just came back from a beach vacation. it made me looked tan and fab! until somebody actually stole it. (my handbag was stolen).

so i make a police report and then straight to mac store for a new msf natural. this time i got it in medium. i love it!!

Connie De Alwis said...

lil: That's such a pity :( Perhaps other brands would work better for you

aly: nice to know that you're loving this too! Yeah, it is rather pricey but for what it's worth, there's no need to buy any more pressed powder or loose powder ;)

dmj: omg! how awful that someone stole your handbag! sometimes I do wish that they'd just take my money and leave my other belongings be. Imagine if there was a limited edition product inside! O_O

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie, is it RM115 selling in KL? Thans FYI..

Anna said...

I just got the MSF from MAC and I do love it!
However I do have sensitve skin, and afraid I might break out, second day using it, none so far!

I also use the studio fix for years! Love it, it never, ever made me break out...so you think I'll be okay with MSF?

Thank you!

CraZe4Makeup said...

Love your review! I am using Studio fix fluid in NC30-35 and I have got my MSF Natural in Medium plus too. I have oily skin and Medium plus turns red on me. My face seems darker than my neck. Not sure it's happened because of my oily skin or I shall try the lighter shade.

Thanks :-)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy