Skin Deco

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Reviews: Revlon Matte Collection

Old skool matte is back! The Revlon Matte Collection reminds me of the era when women looked polished and not-to-be-messed-with as they move up the ladder of a man's world. It's the kind of beauty that means something. Check 90s Madonna out and you'll understand.
Since we've passed that era, shimmer and glow are here to stay so don't freak out just yet. Nevertheless, mattes shan't be forgotten.

Read on for reviews of the Blush, Eye Shadow and Lipstick.

Without a doubt, Revlon Matte Powder Blush is the favorite from this collection. So, I'm not bothered with the pop-out mirror and the teeny brush (not to say that they're not functional because they are!). Just as long the size of the blush pan is not compromised, I'm good to go.

I'm comfortable wearing matte eye shadows but when it comes to blush, getting that healthy glow is always the ultimate goal. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered that I can not only tolerate a matte blush but like it to bits as well!

It may be a matte powder but it blends so seamlessly onto the skin. The powder is tightly pressed causing little to no mess from brush swirls. Perfectly Peach is an uber sweet neutral peachy pink for everyday use that's subtle yet buildable. This is one of those rare universal colors that will work on most skin tones -- fair, medium, tanned.


Retails at RM42

As I ventured deeper into makeup, I realized that shimmery eyeshadows can sometimes look a bit much. Think swollen and reflective lids... Matte eyeshadows eventually made their way into my makeup collection and helped create depth in my eye makeup. Thus, I welcomed the Revlon Matte Eye Shadow with opened arms.

Comes with mini sponge tip applicator which I don't use to apply eye shadow. I don't toss them out though. They come in handy for blending cream or wet eyeshadows. While the texture is soft and smooth, I question the pigmentation of these eyeshadows. They go on vibrant at first but the color fades after a few hours even with a base. When applied sheer, the color actually stays on better. I'm not a fan of sheer eyeshadows so go figure.

Rivera Blue: Muted deep blue. Good for outer corners and smokey effects

Venetian Blue: Bright turquoise. Good as primary color or under eye

So, Jenn said that Venetian Blue looked like a possible dupe of MAC Electric Eel (which is one of my FAV ES from MAC, btw) and whaddaya know!

Close enough? Very much so when swatched. On the lids, however, Revlon lost out to MAC due to quality. It's still good to know that there's a cheaper alternative! Bee pulled off a fresh look with these eye shadows.

Retails at RM29

Kahani loved the Revlon Matte Lipstick in Really Red but of course, red simply doesn't agree with me. I'm pretty bummed that Nude Attitude wasn't brought in :( My tamer and more adaptable shades were

Mauve It Over: Pink-toned MLBB (My Lips But Better) shade. Goes with most makeup but looks especially great with browns

Cocoa Craving: Warm brown. A rather grown-up shade

If you're worried that matte lipsticks will dry out your lips, rest assured that these won't. The formula feels comfortable albeit not particularly moisturizing. They go on smooth and stay puts so there's really nothing much at all to criticize.


Retails at RM33


*The products used in this review were provided by Revlon Malaysia for review on Skindeco.Net

15 comments:

Marce said...

I checked out this collection some time ago, it's amazing. I'm surprised at how much Revlon has improved! The blushes and shadows are really good quality, IMO.
My sister has the lippie, and although a bit drying, she loves it.

Lulu said...

thanks for the review! I love the lippies (in nude attitude and mauve it over), haven't tried the matte blush, but I think I want to get them now! haha

Sherry said...

I like the blush you have there so pretty, :) oh yeah I find tha if I put on eyeshadow it will drop and not stick to my eyes. Please recommend which/what to use to avoid that.

ning * star said...

yesterday I swatched the revlon matte lipstick and the color is so beautiful! i' thinking to get one :)

Blovet Beauty said...

i've taken quite a liking to revlon lipstick :) I've swatched it recently and I really like the pigmentation and smooth feel of it. Only thing is that I was looking for a much lighter shade, like Nude Attitude :) Anyhow I must say Electric Eel & Revlon blue looks exactly the same!

Askmewhats said...

I love the packaging of Revlon Blushes with the click click mirror! So pretty, I didn't purchase any of the Matte collection from Revlon! Now you make me want to purchase one

prettybeautiful said...

the lippie looks really matte n dry. so not used to seeing lippie without shimmer or gloss :P

Fifi said...

Thank you for this review! I don't know if this line is available already in Indonesia but I'm gonna check it out.

The blush is gorgeous!

gio said...

Thank you for the review. The blush is beautiful! I don't usually wear matte blushes but I'm hearing great things about this one and am curious to try it now. The lipsticks looks good too.

Orange said...

thanks for your reviews !
my current blush color from Kate is going to be finish..
looking for affortable blush, now i think i should try the Revlon matte blush ! lol

and also lip stick, Mauve It Over look so pretty!

Jenn said...

I've been on the lookout for the matte blushes ever since reading you girls' reviews on them... but they're nowhere to be found in Penang!! Ditto the Hot Tamale red polish!! :(

The blush looks soooo natural on you! so lovely!! :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Marce: I noticed that I've been paying more attention to Revlon lately. I usually can't take matte lippies either since I have very dry lips

Lulu: get it! I'm sure you'll love it :)

Sherry: Usually an eye primer would help. Try looking for shadows that have creamier textures. They usually adhere better

Ning*Star: Which color? Get it! :D

Blovet Beauty: Such a bummer that Nude Attitude wasn't brought into malaysia. it's quite difficult to find drugstore nude lippies over here. The shadows look so much alike, right?

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: I see that my post is quite persuasive ;)

Pretty: I get what you mean. I still prefer lipsticks with more of a satin finish

Fifi: You're welcome! hopefully you'll be able to find the collection where you are

Gio: Matte blushes are not quite my thing either but I really liked this one!

Orange: hope you'll like the Revlon blush as much as I like mine :)

Jenn: can always CP ;) We're only a Pos Laju away.... hehe

Sherry said...

thanks :) oh yeah saw this blush at jusco sales pyramid I no buy as use money to buy detergent powder. :(

horse chestnut  said...

Wow! Nice products. Thanks for sharing your reviews. I have that blue eye shadow. I really like that. Well I inspired to buy these all products from your blog. Keep up the great work.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy