Skin Deco

Friday, October 23, 2009

Review: Shu Uemura Nobara Cream Cover Stick Foundation

Just as I was grieving over the fact that I wouldn't be able to find a substitute for the discontinued Stila Perfecting Foundation, Shu Uemura came to the rescue with it's Nobara Cream Cover Stick Foundation. As a new and improved version of the cult-favorite Nobara Cream Foundation, the Cream Cover Stick offers convenience without resorting to compact powder foundations. Now you can get a pro finish even with the most basic skills.

Read on for the review...

Trivia: Did you know that Britney Spears wore the Nobara Cream Foundation in her "Boys - Remix" music video? (source)

My 2 cents: The stick version has replaced the original Nobara Cream Foundation which was packaged in a pan. Makeup artists loved the older version because they could snap together the plastic casing to form a foundation palette with different shades. To a typical makeup user however, a solid cream foundation in a pan may not be all that practical especially for those who use their fingers to apply foundation. Having to use a sponge or brush may tend to pile on too much foundation for some. The Cream Cover Stick is definitely more suitable for the mass market but not so much for makeup artists anymore. The last thing they'd wanna do is rummage through a bunch of white tubes and squinting to figure out which number refers to which color... Not quite the win-win situation but I suppose business comes first and though Shu may lose some of their makeup artist fanbase, at least they'll gain more sales from this user-friendly version.

During the preview workshop, Feddrick demonstrated how easy it was to blend the foundation simply with his fingers. If you require better precision, a sponge wedge would be ideal. My tool of choice is the kabuki brush (TBS Mineral Foundation Brush), buffing the fine-textured foundation that leaves no patches nor streaks. While it feels comfortably lightweight, the foundation provides adjustable coverage from medium to full. With this, you'll never get the feeling that you're wearing foundation.

It is claimed to work as a concealer as well but I find that when it's used as such, the foundation will gather into lines especially around the eye area. Despite its cream formula, this foundation isn't one that adds moisture to the skin thus, I'd suggest using a moisturizing primer beforehand if you have dry skin. The satin glow finish makes this foundation look very natural on my skin even after a full day. Touch-ups aren't really necessary and I love how little this foundation oxidizes. However, it does tend to flake on dry areas such as my forehead and under eyes.


Shade 754 was matched to my skin tone which is as close as it can get. I was told that the darker shades can be used for contouring areas like the temples, cheeks, jaw and nose. It's blendable formula makes shading quite effortless and seamless compared to shading with powders. The solid foundation stick is packaged in a clean and sleek white plastic twist tube.

The Nobara Cream Cover Stick is available in 10 shades. The chart below explains how Shu Uemura's foundation shade numberings work. Jojoba did a few observations on her part regarding the HVC Color System. Bee too professed her love for this foundation.

Click on picture for larger view

Retails at Shu Uemura counters and outlets for RM140 and USD$42 in the United States.

*Shu Uemura charts provided by Shu Uemura Malaysia
**The product featured in this post was provided by Shu Uemura Malaysia for review by Skindeco.Net



8 comments:

Sherry said...

thanks for the tip, I usually use hand no wonder its not balance

gingerbee said...

Okay, now I just want to go to the nearest Shu and get this foundation! O.O But wait, I have really oily (and acne-prone) skin. Do you think it'll just make it worse?

Blovet Beauty said...

wow, u have lovely skin ! I just love how shu foundation always give that added glow and I love their coverage factor.wat a great post!

kerrie said...

HI connie. can teach me how to put on makeup as im have single eyelid. i find it hard to make up like others do

Connie De Alwis said...

Sherry: Fingers are fine once you get the hang of it but brushes make life a lot easier. Lol

Gingerbee: I don't think it should affect oily skin. Personally i have dry skin and if anything, this is one of the drier foundations that I've used. In fact, I almost always don't use powder over this foundation

Blovet Beauty: Thank you :)I'm quite pleased with the foundation too

Kerrie: Perhaps you could take a look at my tutorials? I personally don't have monolids so I can't exactly show you what to do. Experimenting to figure out what looks good on you is the best way. Good luck!

wendysyri said...

Looks interesting, I may have to check it out the next time I'm out to the makeup store. What color are you in Mac?

Connie De Alwis said...

wendysyri: Do check it out and let us know what you think :) I'm NC30 to NC35. There's a list of my foundation shades in the right sidebar below the FAQ box

Lipglossiping said...

I've been wanting a cream foundation for winter and think this looks just perfect - thanks for a great review!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy