Skin Deco

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara

If there’s something limper than my puny Asian lashes, it’s my willpower to stop buying mascaras (especially Western mascaras!). Despite the fact that I know Western mascara formula will weigh down my lashes, I was too intrigued by the metallic purple tube and bought the Rimmel Sexy Curves mascara anyway. How could I have resisted? It was shiny and PURPLE.

As expected, a Western formula once again fails to hold Asian lashes up. Nonetheless, money was not wasted. Read on for the review…

Boy Says:

“Not very curled and long but looks thick. I like.”

If a mascara can get you kisses, it should be doing something right *winks*

Metallic purple tube aside, another distinguished feature of Rimmel Sexy Curves is its very peculiar-looking wand which is claimed to make lashes look fuller and curvier. The spiky balls are very useful for coating outer corner lashes. However, the curves may cause uneven coating unless you do several coats.

You can curl your lashes all you like, this formula will still weigh stick straight lashes down. After about three coats or so, the outer lashes will start to get lifted up a little. The formula is dark and thick, amplifying individual lashes so it’ll definitely give the illusion of fuller lashes. The fact that it doesn’t clump even after multiple coats is a huge plus. This is an excellent day to night mascara. As more mascara is added throughout the day, lashes become significantly dramatic. Don’t hope for much lengthening though.

Sexy Curves’ non-waterpoof formula doesn’t smudge easily despite sweat and tears (minimal). It comes off with warm water or any eye makeup remover. There’s also a waterproof formula (metallic turquoise) but I can’t guarantee that the formula will be the same. The waterproof version of Rimmel Glam Eyes was very much inferior to the washable one.

All in all, this mascara will come across as pretty average but how can I not like it when it increases sexiness? I probably won’t repurchase but I’m not chucking this aside either.

Retails at selected Watsons outlets and Jusco for RM39.90. Look out for discounts where you can get this for under RM35 or so.

17 comments:

theotherworldly said...

Hi Connie,

OH MY GOD, that is a lot of mascara on your eyelashes!

prettybeautiful said...

oh connie what's the pink nail polish? :P

i like the wand! looks very funky and weird. LOL. and damn, somehow i m really bad with mascaras :(

Askmewhats said...

wow girl! your lashes are super thick it looks like falsies already!!! I wonder how it'll look on my super puny and non existent lashes :)

Jenn said...

Wow!! very dramatic indeed!! I think this is perfect for a night out!

i saw this at watsons and i thought the brush head looked like those tiny pine nuts you see on the beach! lol!! XD

Connie De Alwis said...

theotherworldly: Lol. I love thick thick mascaras :p

Pretty: Revlon's in Plum Seduction :) Featured in the previous review.
I used to be horrible with mascaras too. small wands do help :)

Nikki: you won't even be able to see my lashes if I don't have mascara on. Lol

Jenn: But you'll need LOADS and LOADS of coats to get it dramatic. It'll look quite natural with 1-2 coats

LyNn said...

yikes i'll surely skip this one!
im on for dramatic length and curls!

gio said...

Your lashes look so thick, but it too bad it doesn't add much length. I like the wand, it looks weird but cool lol.

Stefanie said...

Have just discovered your blog and really enjoying reading through your posts. Keep up the beautiful work ♥

Gaby said...

I absolutely hated this mascara. It did nothing for my lashes, not even a little thickening!

Meng Xue said...

Hmmm, still debating with myself whether to buy this. But your review sounds like telling me not to waste my money. hahaha. Same here, I am so attracted by the metallic purple and funky brush.

PrincessDiana said...

I don't know if I want to buy this or not... Thanks for the review :)

Monica said...

I recently started using that mascara & love it! Another fave of mine is an asian product & its Kate Gel Mascara loving it.

Connie De Alwis said...

Lynn: Definitely not for you then

Gio: I might keep the wand once this dries up and see how it works with other formulas

Stefanie: Thanks for dropping by! :D

Gaby: that's really too bad! I'm not gonna repurchase this either

Connie De Alwis said...

Meng Xue: If you're looking for a good mascara, there are better ones out there

PrincessDiana: It's quite affordable so if you're really curious, just go for it!

Monica: I've seen Kate Gel Mascara but I haven't tried it before. thanks for the heads up :)

honeys said...

gahh...should have read ur review before bought the Rimmel Sexy Curves Waterproof >_<

n like u, i fell for the metallic turquoise packaging tube *sigh*

n yup, i didn't length or curl at all *cries*

i hesitate to use it after a while..
next time im gonna get the Rimmel Glam Eyes..

cute nails btw =)

jen said...

i tried the water proof one. out of all the mascaras i have tried this was the WORST. All it did was make my curled lashes become straight again. Rimmel products have never worked for me and after this travesty ill never go rimmel again LOL

Amanda said...

hey connie, the shining purple tube definitely is attractive..i think that's Rimmel's whole point since women are drawn to shining stuff..haha..i read from CLEO that its good but after reading your review i think its not that great..

honey: i was considering Rimmel's gold tube Glam Eyes too, so have u used it? what you think?

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy