Skin Deco

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Review: Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick

“Swept over cheeks or dabbed on lids, nothing lights up your face like shimmer”, says Bobbi Brown.

One of my makeup “collectibles” is the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick. It’s just one of those things that any makeup enthusiasts should own (at least one) simply because it’s so sought after and raved about.

Albeit I have an undying love for glow, one Shimmer Brick is already too many. Read on for my thoughts.

Before I actually owned a Shimmer Brick, I itched for it BAD. To my extreme delight, I received a limited edition one called Pink Quartz from my lovely cousin, Eve. I promise you, giddiness was experienced.

While I’m not too ecstatic over Bobbi’s classic glossy-black-plastic-with-pointy-edges packaging design, I was lusting over the pink gold detail of the Pink Quartz’s compact. Just looks more classy than the usual black and white. The beauty of the five shimmer stripes made me break into song. Completely blinded, I've forgotten that the Shimmer Brick is indeed a brick of shimmer.

So here’s the problem – chunky shimmer can lead to a bad case of disco fever. I was expecting the powder to be finely milled but it wasn’t thus, the shimmers were quite apparent.
For the glow that I want, I’d have to be very light handed. Even then, it was still more shimmer than glow *sighs*. I understand that it’s not the product’s fault. If it was meant to give glow they would’ve named it "Glow Brick". I’d use it on my lids but y’all should know by now that I’m not big on pink hues especially when they're shimmery.

On the plus side, it does look good layered over pink cheek colors. Although, I’d pick my MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Light Flush over this for the same purpose. The shimmers are simply too overwhelming. Mirror-shine belongs to hair and lips.

According to the website, there are five permanent shade but every now and then limited edition shades are released.

Retailing at RM145 (did the price go up yet?), it’s a swanky collectible and it’ll remain prized in my possession but I can’t bring myself to love it.

14 comments:

plue said...

And because you said it's too shiny, I think I better not have this :P I have oily face to begin with!

thanks for the review!

Eve said...

glad u liked it

Jamilla Camel said...

I totally agree with you! And Bobbi says to wear it over blush!

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) said...

I also find BB Shimmerbricks are a pain in the neck to use... Too shimmery and too unrefined compared to many other brands out there. Even some of MAC's coarser MSF yield better result than BB's on me. I no longer own any BB SB and don't look back again. *_*

Jenn said...

Thanks for the review Connie!! This post totally killed whatever remnants of lemming i have for this product! hehehe!! I never like glitters on the face (i even find the MSFs too glittery for me, hence i don't own any!), so i guess i don't need this! hehehe!! :D

a.min said...

that actually didn't make you look glowing! it makes you look like you are shining! i have a heart for this long ago, but eversince i i try it out at BB counter, i forget it!

B said...

I love love looove these. I do think they are overpriced but they are super versatile. I use mine on the lids and cheeks. I think this baby looks good on you.

kuri♥ayu said...

thanks for the review! I really really wanted to get one of these but I guess I'll have to try it out first. I like glitter but I don't want it to be too overwhelming.

annnn said...

Gah, I get so angry thinking about that stupid Shimmer Brick. I bought mine on the airplane off of a catalogue. It looked so great in the picture and the description was so beautiful that I just HAD to have it. I bought mine, expecting it to work like magic, but instead it made me look like I dipped my head into SPARKLES. It looked more like sparkles than shimmer. I was so angry. I am still angry. At least when it came with a brush.

annnn said...

PS: I LOVE your blog.

Toothfairynotes said...

I'm glad I didn't get myself this one! I usually love Bobbi Brown goodies, but the shimmer bricks... neh...

*loves*

Stefanie said...

Wow that looks great on your cheeks - so glowy!

Connie De Alwis said...

Plue: Can la but you'd have to be very light handed

Eve: I'll treasure it but can't use it often :( Still, Thank you!!

Jamilla: I'll keep in mind that the blush should be matte!

Jojoba: I'm not keen on getting any more shimmerbricks but I am wanting more MSFs :x

Jenn: Worse come to worse, get an MSF! Some of them are really not shimmery eg. Refined

Amin: did you manage to catch a glimpse of your reflection on my cheeks? ;)

Connie De Alwis said...

B: Perhaps over here we're too sweaty to have anything that shines too much! I'll use them for my lids instead.

Kuri: Doesn't hurt to test it at the counter first :)

Ann: chill chill.. like I said, think of it as a collectible. One of those things that just sits in the drawer for collection sake. Thanks for supporting my blog :)

Toothfairynotes: I was the opposite! I couldn't be bothered with most of Bobbi's products but was eager to get a shimmerbrick. oh well...

Stefanie: Awh, thanks :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy