Skin Deco

Monday, August 17, 2009

Totally Wearable Tutorials: Tea Time

Ever since I've started using brushes to do my eye makeup, I no longer use my fingers and those sponge tip applicators that come with eyeshadows. However, it's not to say that not using brushes will result in ugly makeup. In fact, certain styles of eyeshadow application actually work really well with sponge tip applicators such as the Japanese style. Personally, I prefer the western style of eyeshadow application, which is why I almost always use brushes. I did this look for Syen's wedding and it's fairly easy to achieve, using only 3 eyeshadow colors. This time, I've done a video tutorial to show how I blend using the sponge tip applicator.

Read on for more pictures, the video tutorial and description of items used.

I forgot to take a picture of the pigment swatches so I'll upload that later on.



Tiramisu: Deep reddish brown with maroon shimmer. One of those dark browns that would work wonderfully for smokey eyes and also as a liner
Cola: Medium amber gold. Great as an all-over shadow color or blending shade
Cafe Latte: Almost no pigment at all. It's very sheer and soft beige with golden-beige shimmer. Works as highlight

Items Used:

Face:
Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie
Lancome Maquiliquide Foundation in O-04
Revlon Skinlights in Peach Light
Estee Lauder Ideal Light in 03 Medium and 07 Soft Pink
Giorgio Armani Loose Powder

Cheeks:
Benefit Dallas Powder
MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Refined

Lips:
MAC Slimshine Lipstick in Assertive

Eyes:
MAC Paint in Stilife
NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in Slate
Lumiere Mineral Pigment in Tiramisu, Cola and Cafe Latte
I Nuovi Fluidliner (pencil liner) in Noir
Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara
Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus Mascara
Daiso Auto Eyebrow Pencil
elf Brow Kit in Light




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

is that GEO Tri-Color in Grey??so hard to see the real color in GEO ads...I'm afraid the color didn't turn out like I expected...

Connie De Alwis said...

I'm wearing Freshlook in Blue. If you'd like to see how GEO 3Tone Grey look like you can refer to this pic: http://www.skindeco.net/2009/08/music-video-tutorial-inspired-by-hilary.html

Hayley said...

i've tried using fingers to apply eye color but i couldnt blend them well like u did! i wonder why. at 1st i thought i shouldnt blend them in 2 ways so i blend the color in one direction only. but that doesnt really helps.. any idea please?

plue said...

Yeap, for those with sheer e/s colours, using sponge tip seems to make them more vibrant, as oppose to using a brush.

but i find using a brush gives me more precision and a cleaner look compared to sponge tips, especially if i am doing smokey :)

ur lips and cheeks look awesome today! :D

Jenn said...

You make things look so simple Connie!! lol!! :D Lovely blending as always!! :D

Oh, you make me miss my Dallas!! I havent used mine in awhile already!! :D

Askmewhats said...

Gorgeous Connie, you never fail! this is a very pretty look and it enhances your lovely eyes more!

KayKamaL said...

i only use fingers if im super-desperate..

eg: at my hometown n didnt thk i had to go out.so,never bring makeup set..suddenly my mom ajak me go kenduri kahwin n i only hav my sys' kiddy makeup + my fingers to save me..huhu..

Mari said...

How does a japanese makeup style looks like??
o.O

Syn@3sTh3sI@ said...

is MJ Skin Lingerie a nice base ? I'm thinking to get it as I never use a base makeup before.. and without a base, really hurt my skin..

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: i think it depends on what kind of eyeshadows you're dealing with. If the eyeshadow is very powdery, blending with fingers would be difficult because your fingers may have moisture and it'll lift off the color as your blend. I usually only use fingers when it comes to highlight colors (as I wouldn't mind the color coming out sheer) and also cream eyeshadows

Plue: I guess that's why most of my eyeshadows are highly pigmented! Aww, thanks sweetie :)

Jenn: It IS simple :p Thanks dear. Dallas is a pretty neat everyday blush for me since it doesn't give off a lot of color on my skin

Nikki: Thank you so much!

Connie De Alwis said...

Kay: I'm sure you can rock kiddy makeup even when you're not fully equipped!

Mari: Japanese style usually place dark colors at the base of the lid (near lashes) then slowly graduate lighter colors upwards towards the brows. the eyeshadows that they use are usually sheer, shiny and have a creamy powder texture to help easier blending with sponge tip applicators.

Syn: I use it whenever I'm putting on drying foundations such a the Lancome Maquiliquide which I've used in this look and Revlon ColorStay. It's one of my favorite bases to use. I've done a review on it perhaps you could look it up under "majorlica majorca" or "makeup base" if you'd like to compare it with other makeup bases :)

gio said...

This is gorgeous Connie! The blending is great!

valerie said...

I bought the Lumiere minerals eyeshadows you use in this tutorial and got them recently. COuldn't wait to try the look, and now I've got it on and it looks nothing like yours, lol! I think I might have applied to many eyeliner, because the overall shadows looks slate/blue instead of brown (which I actually wanted)! :P Oops ! :P

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: Thank you :)

Valerie: Perhaps you could try using a dark brown eyeliner to use as your eyeshadow base? Certain black/grey eyeliners have blue undertones which could change the eyeshadow color a tad. hope that helps solve the problem :)

Lola Re said...

Hello! I have just found your blog, and it's great! I have brown skin and almond/asian shaped eyes, so sometimes I struggle with makeup application. I want to basically read ALL your makeup tutorials and find out what you do!!! Love it. If it's alright with you, I want to add a link to your page on my blog as well.

Lola Re!
lolare.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Is it okay if I use monistat as a base to revlon colorstay? :)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy