Skin Deco

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Quck Reviews: 6 Products from elf Cosmetics and then some...

I've been accumulating all the e.l.f. Cosmetics products that I've gotten over the months. In this post, I'll briefly go over 6 products from the regular $1 elf line and the $3 Studio line. When it comes to such cheap cosmetic products, there will be hits and misses but the hits definitely prove that great products need not break the bank. As for the misses, they don't hurt. Recently, elf has really stepped up to the plate by coming out with many new and promising products such as their UDPP-comparable Mineral Eyeshadow Primer and latest releases of Studio Single Eyeshadows and Blushers among others -- all of which I hope to order soon. The featured products for today's reviews are:
  • elf Studio Golden Bronzer
  • elf Concealer Brush
  • elf Studio Small Smudge Brush
  • elf Nail Polish in Champagne
  • elf Studio Eyebrow Treat & Tame in Medium
  • elf Slant Tweezer
Read on for reviews and swatches

I got the elf Studio Golden Bronzer in hope to replace my favorite elf Healthy Glow Powder in Luminance, which I use as an all over finishing glow powder. The problem I had with the Healthy Glow was that the powder was too loosely pressed into the pan and mine actually broke and became loose powder. The Golden Bronzer has 4 shades in a single pan -- last swatch to the right is the combined colors. I was very pleased that the powder didn't fly all over when I swirl my brush in the pan. In fact, in the picture above, I've actually swirled my brush a couple of times before and you can still see the "elf" imprint. As an all over powder, it failed to replace Luminance because of the shimmer overload. The effect you will get is as if you have many layers of powder on your face and you'll be glittering instead of glowing. The individual colors are quite pigmented so they can easily work as eyeshadows or you can use them as highlighters. I quite like the Rose shade to sweep over peachy pink blush.

My intention of getting the elf Concealer Brush was just to see if it'll work as a gel eyeliner brush. Well, it does but you shouldn't expect a precise line. Overall, the brush has very good quality synthetic fibers and it's soft yet it gives resilience. This brush is suitable for applying and blending cream eyeshadows even if it's not so great as an eyeliner brush.

I guess I should just stick to the elf Studio Small Smudge Brush to use with my gel eyeliners. I'm absolutely in love with this brush. Small, firm, flat, tapered -- everything I could ask for in an eyeliner brush. Since it's synthetic, the fibers don't fray quickly either. I definitely need a few more of these.

Nail polishes have never really caught my interest but recently I feel compelled to apply nail polish so that my funky nails will look less "ungroomed". Granted, I'm horrible at applying nail polish. Nevertheless, the elf Nail Polish in Champagne is one nail polish that I find myself using very often. Firstly, the fleshy pink color is very natural so it's pretty much foolproof. It's also relatively easy to apply as in I am less likely to get streaks. The staying power is reasonable even when I don't use a top coat. Downside would be that the nail polish takes awhile to dry and it turned my nails yellow. Thus, I'd suggest using a base coat first. I look forward to getting more colors of these.

You've probably seen me using this in my recent eyebrow tutorial. The elf Studio Eyebrow Treat & Tame basically helps to give eyebrows a tint while keeping them in place. It's a decent product which gets the job done. However, it's not the best (ie. RMK Eyebrow Mascara) with its bulky brush and slightly chalky formula. As for the Treat side, I'm not that bothered with it. I haven't used it often enough to know if it works.

I've had tweezers that are better and cheaper than the elf Slant Tweezer. It is so heavy and chunky that I feel my finger muscles cramping before I can get to the third piece of brow hair. The tip isn't flat and precise enough to pluck out short/fine hair. This belongs in the kitchen to pluck out remainders of chicken feathers.

I didn't want to review these since I hate them so much but I'd just like to warn ya'll in case you're thinking of getting the Super Glossy Lip Shine or Luscious Liquid Lipstick. They're both hardly pigmented and ultra STICKY. The glitters look mighty cheap and so is the scent. You may be paying only $1 for the click pen and you'll actually only get like half a tube of product by the time you manage to click out the first bit of lipstick. Poor quality and not worth even $1.
NOTE: The colors I got were Goddess and Caramel Candy. There could be a possibility that different colors have different quality

elf Cosmetics are not available for retail locally in Malaysia however you can go through spreers who can help order these products from the website. As always, I recommend sgdrugstore from Lowyat.net
The regular $1 line usually sells for RM6 and the $3 Studio line would go for RM15. Prices may change according to shipping and currency exchange rates.

Other elf products that I've reviewed:


12 comments:

Askmewhats said...

I am seriously in love with ELF polishes and yours look great!!!

thanks for sharing those ELF products :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie,
Unfortunately the e.l.f. website does not delivery to places outside the United States (including Brazil, of course!), and now I'm really interested in the elf Studio Golden Bronzer.
Thanks for the reviews and swatches!:)
Renata

puss.in.heels said...

I actually quite like the 2 glosses you featured, they worked quite good on me! And I love Champagne! Such a pretty nail colour! But I find it a b!tch to take off! I think you'll enjoy the warm bronzer more - more natural and no so shimmery.

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: I think I'll get the brighter colors next :) You're welcome

Renata: elf doesn't deliver to Malaysia either :( You'd have to ask a friend from the US to help you get them, I guess. You're welcome!

Puss: Too bad for me! Could it be the colors that I chose sucked or I got a bad batch? :( They were so sticky! glue-like even!

Yeah, it usually takes about 3 cottons to take them all off >.< I'll consider getting warm bronzer!

LyNn said...

i got luscious liquid lipstick in baby lips
it isn't sticky and is one of my favouritess.
hmm. its not a very coloured lipgloss thou
but its a natural hue which i simply adore
gives a healthy innocent look :)

prettybeautiful said...

wah i think elf polishes are really pretty lah (nikki always uses). i shall get them too next time..

p/s: yr nail shapes so pretty one????

e.motion in motion said...

Thanks for the reviews! I personally love their studio concealer brush, nail polishes, and treat N tame (the treat actually works for me!). I tried their candy shop lip tin = GROSS STICKYNESS -_-;; and they sent me THREE of them X_x thanks for the heads up NOT to try those other lippies~

Connie De Alwis said...

Lynn: how lucky of you to have one that's not sticky! Perhaps I'll give the glosses another chance but in different colors

Pretty: If Nikki approves, I'm sure they're good! I cut my nails lor... hehe.

Erynn: I'm too lazy to use the treat! should probably start using it. Lol

KayKamaL said...

uh..uh..i just ordered the warm n golden bronzer! (1st tyme EVER trying out a bronzer..i feel dat im too tanned for one..hehe)

im finally ordering the eyebrow kit afta much cnsideration cz i always lazy wanna care abt my brows..i tweeze em to shape n dats so..(pemalas,bukan?)

regarding the glosses..yes,they are on the stickier side but i still adore em nonetheless...mayb u got a bad batch..(being optimistic here)..

i love wearing the super glossy lip shine in mauve luxe or the luscious liq lipstick in pink lemonade on top of my NYX circe..i find dat the colors look SUPERSWEEEEEET!! esp pink lemonade..n since i LOVE vanilla,mint n grape..i dun mind the smell either! tho my guy hates it...(ok not hate..dislike it)

gio said...

I'm sorry the Super Glossy lip Shine didn't work for you. I have that in Pink Kiss and it's one of my fave glosses. I don't find it very sticky, just a bit gloopy maybe, but I love how shiny it is and that it contains SPF too. And the color is very pretty too.

The nail polish looks pretty. I've been wanting to try ELF polishes for a while, think I'll try those next.

Bath said...

Pretty: If Nikki approves, I'm sure they're good! I cut my nails lor... hehe.
very good posting

Bathmate

its_me_michelle said...

That nail polisch looks good! And about the lipproducts. I've also read a lot of good reviews about them. So, I don't know, I have never tried it myself...

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy