Skin Deco

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Music Video Inspired Tutorial: Hilary Duff's "Reach Out"

One of my favorite pastimes is to search for makeup inspirations to include in my "Looks Folder". As of late, I've been spotting many gorgeous looks worn by celebrities in music videos. This will probably be a mini series since I've managed to compile quite a number of screenshots :x



The first look will be based on Hilary Duff's "Reach Out" music video. Any other suggestions/requests? I can't guarantee that I'll do all of them though. Some looks can be too neutral to see in the video what the celebrity is actually wearing (eg. Colbie Callait) or too unsuitable for my features/skin color. Well, I'm actually trying to make Gwen Stefani work but I can't quite get a bold red lip to look good on me *sighs*

Ok, not the most flattering shot of her but it was this angle that me wanna do this look. That metallic sheen simply screams MAC Glitter in Reflects Antique Gold and I've been wanting to use it for the longest time. From her side angle (if you watch the video), you'd see an oddly extended shape with loads of shimmer but not much dimension so my version is really based on this picture rather than the actual look in the video.
Click here to watch the music video

Since Hilary's skin is rather pale and I hardly am, I added some silver pigment into my foundation for a slightly ashy glow. The cheeks are pink with pink glow while the lips are glossy red stained. I've also rounded the arch of my brows a little.

Items Used

Eyes:
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Mixing Medium
MAC Pigment in Sweet Sienna
MAC Pigment in Dark Soul
MAC Glitter in Reflects Antique Gold
I Nuovi D27 Eyeshadow in Spotlight
I Nuovi Fluidliner in Black
K-Palette 24 Hour Eyeliner Pen in Black
Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara
Ardell Demi Lashes #102
Prescriptives Eyebrow Powder Kit

Face:
Stage Opening Act Complexion Enhancer
Revlon ColorStay Foundation in Golden Beige
Lumiere Pigment in Silver Shimmer
Missha Perfect Concealer
RMK Face Powder in P 00

Cheeks:
The Body Shop Nature's Minerals Cheek Color in Pink Quartz
Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick in Pink Quartz

Lips:
Origins Once Upon a Shine Lipgloss in Sheer Ruby




28 comments:

plue said...

ur lips look good! seriously!

and ur eyes as usual, very de pretty!

but uh, why this time ur look a bit like oily? i know it's from the glow and all, but uh, can't help it! the pink blush looks nice on u, but i think am so used to seeing u in bronze n peaches, that pink looks tad weird. ok, i guess it's just me la :P no offense k?

but nevertheless, u still rock!

Connie De Alwis said...

Thanks, dear.

Lol. It's the flash la. in the video didn't look oily right? haha. that's the silver pigment being reflected. Lol. but yeah, I thought it looked oily in the pictures too but what to do

Hayley said...

view vit~~ nice eye make up! bold and sexy!

pinkyping said...

oh.. i love the dramatic eye look. really really good. haha

shopaholic said...

I think it's better if ur lips are matte since ur eyes had shimmer eyeshadow and luminizer/highlighter on ur cheekbones. So it doesn't look over shiny. Well only suggestion from amateur, still far from ur skill hehe..

e.motion in motion said...

Looking freaking lovely! I wish I could pull off such dramatic looks~ Ahh and LOL @ her pic that's quite unattractive xD

Jamilla Camel said...

Spectacular and sexy!!

yummy411 said...

hillary duff is always my inspiration for smokey eyes! i think she usually has the best smokey eye look!! you did a great job with her in mind! i love it... per usual! ;)

Salsia said...

I love love love this look!
Especially the lips!
I would definately wear this! (well maybe a toned down version :P )
Keep up the good work :)

xx

Lê Mai Trang said...

OMG, u did a good job, really.

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: Thank you ;)

Pinkyping: Thanks :D I didn't wear it out though :x My life's too boring for exciting makeup

Shopaholic: Lol. Thanks for your opinion. I do agree. If I were to wear this look out, I'll definitely play down my lips. Heck, I don't even like red gloss to begin with! Was just following Hilary's makeup so yeah. hehe

Erynn: Thanks!! :D and I bet you could pull off dramatic looks!

Connie De Alwis said...

Jamilla: Thank you! :)

Kia: Hayden Panettiere too! Awh, thank you :)

Salsia: Thanks! Even I would tone it down! Looks like these are reserved for music videos and clubbing -- both of which I don't do.

Le Mai Trang: Thank you :)

Traclyn Yeoh said...

Very very nice and great job there!

I was wondering where did you get the flat crease brush?

Jenn said...

What a great look you did Connie!! I think you nailed it!! :D

Perfect blending as always!! :D I can definitely see myself wearing this kinda look often, minus the glowy-ness and red lippie of course! :D

Janice said...

wow... looks seducing... yummy... i like the lips... juicy...

Nessa said...

OMG gorgeous! I love this look, thanks a bunch for the vid :]

gio said...

I love this! It's very sexy and dramatic. You did a great job in recreating her look!

Askmewhats said...

yes..yes..very Hillary Duff-y...love your version :)

Pop Champagne said...

ooh that's so hot! Good job on the make up... and hehe I have the biggest girl crush on Hilary Duff!

aYu LaLaLa said...

That's gorgeous..btw,thanks for showing a great technique where u pull ur head back and hold the lid with brush holder. i never thought about that b4..great!

Connie De Alwis said...

Traclyn: Thank you :) I bought it from Crown Brush

Jenn: Thank you! Next time I'll probably do the same look for an outing but toned down. hehe and NUDE lips :D

Janice: Thanks *muaks!* hehe

Nessa: Thank you and you're welcome!

Connie De Alwis said...

Gio: I'm glad that you love it! It's very dramatic indeed. I didn't actually walk out of my room with this makeup on :p

Nikki: Thanks, sweetie :)

Pop Champagne: Awh, thanks! Lol! I personally prefer the old Hilary Duff but she's definitely a lot sexier now.

Ayu: Thank you and you're welcome! I use a brush instead of my finger or Q-tip so that I won't budge any of the colors on my lid

ms.iu said...

Intense , dramatic, perfect blending!!
look exactly the same like Hilary Duff ;)

KayKamaL said...

ouh2,i lyke! blending must b flawless to achieve tis..n cool idea about mixing the silver into foundation..never thot of dat..

lady gaga's "poker face" look was good too!(i tried once..dunno if jadi or not..i thot it turned fine..hihi)

p/s: i got my i nuovi stuffs d..!! so happy! tx so much..d linerpac is so a fav now..huhu

Chloevien said...

This kind of very, but really very intense look.
But maybe pairing with new La Perla lingerie, could make my husband the happiest man for one night *lol*...:) Just hope I can re-do it right, this is not so easy...*sigh* need some practice:)

Connie De Alwis said...

Ms. iu: Thank you!

Kay: Ok la. not too much blending compared to some other looks I've done! I've thought of doing Poker Face too but then I don't really like silver eyeshadows
Cool! you got your I Nuovi stuff. have fun with them!

Chloevien: LOL!! You'll definitely make your husband very happy ;) I'm sure it'll turn out beautiful on you :D Good luck!

shopaholiclearance said...

wow! i like it~...but take very long time

Eric said...

the oily thingy makes you look sexier. trust me. im a guy

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy