Skin Deco

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Makeup Remover Reviews: MAC + Lancome + Neutrogena

Cleansing is no longer as simple as just using a facial wash. Good skin starts with proper cleansing and not by avoiding makeup. I've come across quite a number of ladies who are terrified of applying foundation because they're worried that it will cause breakouts or worsen their complexion. The fact is, if you properly cleanse your skin at the end of the day, you'll have nothing to worry about. Proper cleansing should be practiced whether or not you apply makeup since the skin care that you apply in the morning will clog up your pores all the same if you don't thoroughly clean them off before applying your night skin care.

So, what's considered as proper cleansing? My cleansing regime consists of a gentle cleanser (Cetaphil) in the morning and at night, I double cleanse first with a cleansing oil to get rid of all my makeup and then again with Cetaphil.

In this post I'll be reviewing several makeup remover cleansers that I've recently tested and one of them is completely amazing...

MAC Cleanse Off Oil
RM95/150ml

Having read Jenn's review on the MAC Cleanse Off Oil, I expressed how I'd love to give this cleansing oil a try and being the sweetest girl she was, Jenn got me a generous sample of it. The Cleanse Off didn't cause any adverse effects to my skin despite containing Bitter Orange Oil (I've been worried that I may be allergic to that) instead it performed spectacularly. When the light oil is massaged onto my foundation-covered skin, all the gunk melted off my face in no time. Dissolving super waterproof mascara and eyeliner is hardly a chore for the Cleanse-Off. After cleansing, my skin didn't feel oily but comfortable and soft.

I'm on the fence with which I prefer more -- the I Nuovi Cleansing Oil or the MAC Cleanse Off. Both are quite similar in terms of performance but I occasionally do get a rash from I Nuovi if I don't rinse off the emulsified oil quick enough. However, you can't beat I Nuovi's price (RM72/150ml). That said, MAC Cleanse Off Oil is wonderful and I highly recommend it if it's not out of your budget. If you'd prefer something cheaper that works just as well, I Nuovi's a sure winner.

But what about Shu Uemura? It lost out to I Nuovi a long time back! [read comparison here]

Lancome Baume Eclat Balm-to-Oil Massage Cleanser

RM100/125ml

Along with the Cleanse-Off, Jenn gave me a travel-sized tube of Lancome's Baume Eclat to compare with. The balm-to-oil texture takes some getting used to as it felt like I was rubbing Crisco on my face. While it did remove almost all traces of makeup, it required a substantial amount of rubbing. On the plus side, it's less messy compared to using a cleansing oil as in no dripping. I use this mostly when I'm traveling so that after dissolving the makeup, I can simply wipe it off with a wet tissue. Nevertheless, it's not something that I'll consider purchasing full-size.
[read Jenn's comprehensive review here]

Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleansing Lotion

RM22.90/200ml

With the rate of a bottle a month, I was looking for a cheaper alternative to dual-layer eye makeup removers and that's when I settled for the Neutrogena Deep Cleansing Lotion. Yes, it removed foundation and waterproof mascara but not quite effortlessly. In the end, I gave up and just used cleansing oil to remove all of my makeup in one step. I'm still wondering why I didn't just do that in the first place since cleansing oils are the best that I've ever used for removing eye makeup. Not only have I saved on eye makeup removers, I'm using less cotton pads as well. I'd occasionally use the cleansing lotion to remove any mistakes, swatches or light makeup. I'll probably repurchase but not for a long time more since I still have more than half a bottle. I recommend this to anyone who's looking for a highly affordable makeup remover.
[read Prettybeautiful's review on this]


15 comments:

*aly L. said...

Wow, you're very convincing.. Inuovi or MAC, I'm dying to get one!!

puss.in.heels said...

I heart MAC Cleanse Off Oil! It does a fab job at removing unforgiving thick stage makeup, let alone everyday makeup, I highly recommend it!! Best part, no oily residue!!

Becks said...

I love cleansing oils! I use the Shiseido one, it's pretty good too but I have no other brand of cleansing oil to compare it to so I don't know if its that good.

Connie De Alwis said...

Aly: both are really good :)

Puss: I so need to get a bottle when my sample runs out. no wait, I have a brand new bottle of cleansing oil still waiting for me >.<

Becks: I've never tried Shiseido's cleansing oil. I used to think that Shu has the best cleansing oils but that wasn't until I tried MAC and I Nuovi!

Jenn said...

Yay, glad to hear you liked the Cleanse Off Oil!! :D I'm almost done with my current bottle and i'm definitely repurchasing! :D

prettybeautiful said...

yeah i agree that the neutrogena may not be AS effective as others, but with that price, you can't complain much. ^_^ now...arghhh i want bobbi brown cleansing oil!!! i wonder how will it be compared to MAC

Syn@3sTh3sI@ said...

I'm too prefer cleansing oil rather than lotion or anything else... In fact, I have no idea whether my Shu Uemura doesnt the job for me as I'm still suffering from clog pores. My pores are bigger even though I always do double cleansing...

Meng Xue said...

I totally hate Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleansing Oil. Thus I didn't expect much from your review of the cleansing lotion. Lol. Even for the cleansing oil, it took me so much tugging and rubbing to get my eye makeup off. Felt so stupid fighting with Neutrogena. haha. Kind of give up on Neutrogena MU remover forever already.

*aly said...

Hi, I was wondering if you used a cotton pad with the cleansing oil (as directed on the I Nuovi bottle) or you use your palms like the Shu Uemura way?

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: I wanna buy it but I still have an UNOPENED bottle of cleansing oil waiting to be used. ish

Pretty: Perhaps you can try asking for a sample from MAC? very unlikely to get one though! :p

Syn: Why not try another brand to see if it works better for you?

Meng Xue: ouch! that's a bad experience :(

Aly: nope, I use the cleansing oil method where I add water later to emulsify

wendysyri said...

Have you tried Kose SOFTYMO Deep Cleansing Oil? It's around $12 and you get 230 ml. I haven't tried MAC's, but this is the brand I use and I love it! It takes off my makeup easily and leaves my skin feeling good and un-irritated. Here's a link below.

http://www.webichi.com/en/details/83895

Chloevien said...

Since I have a newborn in August, I could hardly to visit your blog, which I missed *sigh* Btw, cleansing oil, I've tried Jill Stuart, MAC and Shu, but at the end I still come back to my Philosophy Made Simple, not a cleansing oil, but the best cleanser and makeup remover for me so far. No double cleansing, no toner, everything is all in one, so convenient a mother:)

Chloevien said...

Ups,typo *lol* I meant, Philosophy Purity MAde Simple and it's so convenient for a mother. Sorry *grin*

Connie De Alwis said...

Wendy: I actually have softymo. bought it quite some time ago but I'm trying to finish up the cleansing oils i'm using now before opening it

Chloe: congrats on your new baby!! :D Aww, I'm so flattered that you missed my blog but no worries! i don't think you missed much. September was a very slow month. Philosophy even better than MAC? I'm gonna get a small bottle to try. Does it get out waterproof mascara too? Thanks for the rec!

Chloevien said...

Thank you:) Yep, Purity is better than MAC IMO. No scrubbing is required, it gets off so easily, doesn't irritate my eyes, just rinse it off with warm water.MUA have good reviews about it too.And yes, it gets off waterproof mascara. Just try it, and you're gonna recognized the different. Sounds like commercial right?*lol* But I love this cleanser and I think it's worth to try.

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy