Skin Deco

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Review: Benefit You Rebel Tinted Moisturizer

No, this isn't Wella Straightening Hair Cream! It's Benefit You Rebel -- a defiantly different tinted moisturizer. Few years back when I was briefly working for Benefit, I couldn't find a foundation that suited my skin. Goldilocks Syndrome -- Some Kind of Gorgeous was too fair, Playstick was too drying and Non-Fiction made me itch. You Rebel felt the most comfortable on my skin but to my dismay, the color was too dark and the coverage, too sheer.

Read on for the full product review and a little trick on how I made You Rebel conform to my needs

You Rebel Tinted Moisturizer is packaged in an unconventional metal tube. I can't say that I'm fond of the packaging because I know very well that it'll start to have holes when the product's almost finishing. Nonetheless, I love what the tube contains and I doubt I'll be able to get through the entire tube before it expires anyway.

Out of the tube is a light-textured tan-colored cream. The tinted moisturizer is applied as how you would with a regular moisturizer, which is by sweeping or massaging. On the skin, it feels exactly like how a moisturizer would. Some tinted moisturizers out there (eg. ZA) still gives the kind of powdery finish and cake that you'd get from foundations. When used alone, the color is about 2 shades darker than my skin tone (MAC NC35). In spite of that, the color simply screams "Healthy" to me. It doesn't look unnatural but I'd have to apply it over my chest as well to match my face. I've ordered a tanning lotion to help darken my chest and shoulder area so hopefully I'll be able to wear You Rebel on its own after I've completed my tanning project! If you're not up for looking tanned, not to worry. Benefit has You Rebel Lite for those with fairer complexions.

I've worn this tinted moisturizer out for paintball and believe me, this stuff lasts. You can sweat and have paintball paint dripping down your face, You Rebel is stubborn enough to not budge. Instead of looking washed out after the game, you'd simply glow :) As added bonuses, the formula contains SPF15, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Aloe.

The original method calls for the IT Stick but since I don't own that (because some lady bought the last one at the sale), I've improvised and used Maybelline Liquid Concealer. Before I explain the steps, let me tell you a little bit about the IT Stick. One of the underrated products, the IT Stick claims to be a concealer that fills in lines and covers blemishes. The thick cream is quite dense but blends very easily. Combined with You Rebel, the IT Stick lightens the color, adds coverage and ultimately, gives a creaseless finish to the skin. If you have a constantly changing skin tone, I'd highly suggest the IT Stick and You Rebel combination.

After you've applied your makeup base of choice (for oily skin, you may want to use an oil-control type), draw on the concealer around the center portion of the face on areas where you require brightening. Then, dot You Rebel between the lines and on areas where you have not applied concealer. Blend everything with your fingers in circular motions. If you'd like to use a brush for this, I'd suggest buffing with a duo fiber brush (MAc 187). Finally, set with loose powder.

The result: Coverage just enough to conceal the small imperfections with a warm healthy color and glow yet completely natural-looking. Doesn't look much like I'm wearing foundation, does it?

A 50ml tube of You Rebel is $30USD on the website. In Malaysian Benefit counters, it should be around RM135? It used to be RM125.

9 comments:

Hayley said...

lol. the tube does look like hair straightening cream. :p
i think its quite worth it? RM 135 for 50ml.

Paris B said...

LOL yes it does look like the Wella cream and it reminded me of my late grandma :( Looks nice and natural on you so I guess its a yay! :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Hayley: The price not too bad since not a lot of product is required :)

Paris: Aww :( I'm sorry.
I like using this on my "light" makeup days

Jenn said...

Ahaha yes this one does look like the wella straightening cream... man that product stinks (literally!!) hahaha!! :P

Girl you're really tempting me with your review on this one... it looks amazingly natural on you!! me wants!!!

Eli said...

ROFL at the Goldilocks comment. But the coverage does look pretty natural and glowy.

Askmewhats said...

for a tinted moisturizer, it gives you a nice finish!!! I love the "unblended" foundation photo! you look too cute! MEOW :P

Shopn'Chomp said...

You're right. It really doesn't look like you're wearing foundation. Perfect tip! :)

Tine said...

I LOL-ed at the Wella Straightening Creme line. OMG haven't heard of that product in a while :P

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: Days when I didn't embrace my waves, I actually used that stuff! Get the lite one :D if you're into sheer coverage and lightweight, you'll love this

Eli: I'm a copy cat! someone mentioned it before but I can't remember who :p Glow... <3

Nikki: Hehe. Thanks, sweetie. I actually had another picture with only the concealer and I really looked like a cat in that! but of course, it wasn't necessary to put it up :p

Shopn'Chomp: Looks good, doesn't it? :)

Tine: It was Paris who pointed that out. HAH

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy