Skin Deco

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reader Questions + Makeup Experimentation

This post is basically to answer a compilation of questions I've received from Skin Deco readers through e-mails and older posts comments. I apologize if I did not personally reply to your e-mail. I do read everyone's e-mails and I try to reply to them even if not immediately, I try to get it done eventually. At times, I forget. Some of the questions are repetitive, meaning that I get them often from numerous readers and quite frankly, it gets tiring to say the same things over and over again. Please understand and don't be offended. I'll use this post to address some of the questions so hopefully, this will be helpful.

I was pretty frustrated over my makeup this morning and school has been overwhelming. To comfort myself, I tried out some of the MAC colors that I've recently acquired and came up with something colorful. I'm also running out of ideas for my video tutorials. Any suggestions? No series and natural looks as I'm already doing that with the picture tutorials. Send me some inspiration pictures if you have any.

Read on...


1. Could you suggest an eyeshadow primer that I can purchase locally in Malaysian stores?

I'd suggest MAC Paint as I did use that before I started using Urban Decay Primer Potion and L'Oreal De Crease (It's not available in Malaysia). Most of the time it works and you need very little for each application. The one I have is in Stilife but if you prefer a non-shimmery one, you can go for Bare Canvas. I Nuovi and Stage Cosmetics produce eyeshadow primers as well but I don't know if they work as I have not tried them. There's also MAC Paint Pot, Benefit F.Y. Eye, Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow, and Paul & Joe Eye Gloss. Basically, any skin-colored cream eyeshadow that doesn't crease on you would work.

2. Are you still using Dermedex?

Last year, I've had a pretty serious case of forehead zits and Dermedex did wonders to treat my condition. Unfortunately, only the first tube worked and the second one didn't so I stopped. Eventually, I found out the reason for my zits -- I've been using too much of drying anti-blemish products. Since then, I've been properly moisturizing my skin with rich anti-aging creams and my zits cleared up. As it turns out, my skin's surface has been too dry, prohibiting proper oil flow. The "trapped" oil becomes infected and turns into a pimple. Therefore, when the oil flow is restored, I no longer have zits. Everyone's skin is different so I can't guarantee that my method would work for you. Although, this totally blows the myth of rich creams causing pimples! It's NOT true! It all depends on your skin.

3. What do you suggest I use for long lasting makeup that doesn't require touch up?

Personally, I don't touch up any of my makeup except for lip color. I don't carry powder or blush with me when I go out. To have your foundation last the whole day, use a makeup base underneath. Liquid foundations also tend to be more long-wearing. For your eyeshadow to last, use an eyeshadow primer. My blush don't usually survive the whole day but if I want it to, I either use a cheek stain or cream blush then layer powder blush over it. The only waterproof product that I use is mascara.

4. What is your favorite foundation/makeup base/foundation brush/eyelash curler?

Foundation: I will always say Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation but I still can't justify buying it. However, I've probably reviewed over 25 types of foundation so you can read through them.

Makeup Base: I use different bases depending on my foundation. Monistat for oily liquid foundation, Benefit Dr Feelgood for powder foundation, Benefit That Gal for dark liquid foundation, and Majolica Majorca Skin Lingerie for drying liquid foundation.

Foundation Brush: Again, I use different foundation brushes depending on the foundation that I use. EDM Flat Top Brush for mineral foundation, elf Studio Powder Brush for liquid foundation, I Nuovi Foundation Brush for cream foundation, and The Body Shop Nature's Minerals Kabuki Brush for stick foundation.

Eyelash Curler: I'm using RMK Eyelash Curler and happy enough with it. I don't need like 5 good eyelash curlers. I've tried Shu Uemura but I don't need it since RMK does the job.

5. Does XX product control oil? Is it suitable for oily skin? Will it make my skin look oily? Why does it make my skin oily?

First off, my skin is DRY. That said, I don't look for oil control in a product. In fact, I avoid anything that controls oil because I am happy with whatever little oil that I have and have no intention to control it. I honestly would not know how to answer the questions above if you face those problems and have a different skin type than I do. If a certain product is making me look like a grease pot, I'll mention it. If it doesn't, I won't. So, if the product turns out to be oily on you, it could simply be due to the differences in our skin types and how our skins react to certain products. Sometimes I may mention that a product would be suitable for "oilier" complexions. "Oilier" means oilier than my dry skin which could be normal or combination. I'm basically trying to say that the product is drying on MY skin so if you have skin that isn't as dry as mine, you may not feel that the product is drying. Whether or not it will cause oiliness to oily skin, I really wouldn't know.

My only advice is to use products that are meant for oily skin and controls oil. That's all I have. If you can't relate to my experience with products in my reviews, you can look for other reviews by reviewers with similar skin type to yours. There's nothing wrong with that. I do that too.

Err... no inspiration. Just winging it. No pun intended

Items Used:

Urban Decay Primer Potion
MAC Paint Pot in Rollickin
MAC Paint Pot in Moss Scape
MAC Eyeshadow in Cool Heat
MAC Pigment in Antique Gold
MAC Pigment in Dark Soul
MAC Eyeshadow in Dreammaker
MAC Pigment in Heritage Rouge
MAC Glitter in Reflects Blackened Red
MAC Fluidline in Blue Peep
K-Palette Tattoo Eyeliner
Maybelline Cat Eyes Mascara

20 comments:

Manju said...

i LOVE your eye makeup in these pics!
i'm a new follower :)

Anonymous said...

great FAQs!

But i'm not feeling the whole look of the eye :x I think it's the heritage rouge eyeliner on the undereye. A lil tribal looking, if that's what you are going for :) But i love the blending on the lid, awesome!

fantastic said...

i love the look you did with your eyes...beautiful!

Tine said...

I've tried the I Nuovi eyeshadow primer. Didn't work well on me, as my e/s creased after a few hours. But then again, I have unusually oily lids, so that could be a problem too.

Jenn said...

How do you find the texture of Cool Heat? Mine has totally yuck texture and it ended up at the bottom of my eyeshadow pile now! lol!! :P

And oh, your brows and blending are perfect as always!! :D

prettybeautiful said...

i am using inuovi's eye primer too, topped with stila smudgepot, the eyeliner almost never budged at all! just that the eyeshadow still refused to stay longer =/

leslielovesmakeup said...

so i'm gonne have to try this look. it actually suits brown/dark eyes well!

Connie De Alwis said...

Manju: Thank you! and Thanks for following my blog :)

Anonymous: Thanks! Ah, I was just trying to cram all the new colors that I have in one eye actually. There wasn't a particular look that I was aiming for. Lol

Fantastic: Thank you :)

Tine: Ooh, how about Too Faced Shadow Insurance or Urban Decay Primer Potion? Do those work?

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: I haven't got the feel of it yet as I only patted it over Rollickin. When I swatched it, it wasn't very pigmented. I didn't intend on buying it but during the sale it was so bright and beautiful, I couldn't resist >.< I have a weakness for teal. I dislike Dreammaker though. It was too dusty!

Aww, thanks :)

Pretty: Then it's your Smudge Pot that's long lasting and not your primer! hehe. I'm figuring that if Stila comes out with a skin color smudge pot, you'd grab it right away!

Leslie: Good luck trying the look! :D I was just too lazy to pop in my contacts since I was only doing one eye. Lol

Askmewhats said...

i love reading your Q&A :) ANd I love the eye makeup!!!

LyNn said...

wow the E.O.T.D looks really fab
and its a good post answering all your reader's question. :D

aYu said...

i don't know that there is L'Oreal De Crease in our local drugstore.

Connie De Alwis said...

Nikki: Thanks, sweetie :)

Lynn: Thank you. Glad you liked the post

Ayu: No, L'Oreal De Crease is not available in Malaysian stores. I never said it was. If it was, I would've suggested that instead of MAC Paint :) So, before I could buy any eyeshadow primer from the US, I was using MAC Paint hence, I suggested it. Hope this helps to clarify.

e.motion in motion said...

Love the colors! Your eyes are so gorgeous (;

gio said...

This look is beautiful, I love the colors you used!

KayKamaL said...

great looking eyes!!! but so not for any day events..huu~

chaborkia said...

argh colors! i wants 'em, and you gives 'em. perfect, gorgeous. :D sucking up some inspiration from you before i get back to home soil to play with makeup. ngek ngek! keep up the good work!

Dee said...

Very pretty, I'm not fond of the blue in your waterline, but everything else is superb! beautiful blending Connie! :)

Connie De Alwis said...

Erynn: Thanks, deary :)

Kay: I don't think I'll ever be wearing anything like that out!

YaHui: Play play play! Thanks, babe

Dee: I miss my Blue Peep! been neglecting it for quite a long time. hehe. Thank you for the compliment :)

Jamilla Camel said...

I love that eye makeup! Somehow, you have fallen off my blogroll, and I need to catch up!!

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy