Skin Deco

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Monistat Chafing Gel Vs Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

You can use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel for your vah jayjay and your face! Behold the famous dupe for Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer at only 20% of the price. According to tons of reveiw on the interweb, the two have similar ingredients that make the products function as a foundation primer, which is dimethicone (sorry, Em!).

Let's see how they both compare!

Since it's the Monistat that I have the full-sized product of, we'll go into detail about it first. The gel to powder formula is to be applied on the skin prior to applying foundation to create a smooth canvas and blot off excess shine while keeping the skin feeling matte. I was honestly concerned about the whole matte thing since matte stuff dries up my skin like crazy but after reading tons of reviews stating how it doesn't dry out the skin, I took the risk. It doesn't seem like much difference in the before and after pictures but you can clearly see that the shine on the cheek is gone and the pores look less visible.

Now, comes the part that amazed me. You see, I have a pretty bad case of fine lines on my forehead due to my eczema. The Monistat gel smoothens out the lines significantly, preventing foundation from caking up at the forehead.

As a foundation primer, this is definitely one of the best that I've ever tried. It works with liquid foundation and powder foundation, making them glide on effortlessly. Very little oxidation towards the end of the day. The product also helps to control some shine without drying out my skin. I know it doesn't look cool to whip out chafing gel to put on your face but I think the colors are pretty neat and the squeeze tube packaging is definitely practical. Since this is a chafing gel, it works to calm down sensitive areas like my eczema patches so that's a huge plus for me.

The Smashbox Photo Finish Primer that I got was just a sample packet but there was a substantial amount for a comparison review. Packaging aside, an obvious difference between the two is the color of the gel. Smashbox is clear while Monistat is cloudy but applied on the skin, there's no difference in coloration. The Smashbox is also slightly more fluid and feels greasy. I could feel as if I have a layer of oil on my skin and the remaining primer will be stuck on my fingers, making them feel greasy too. I didn't get a matte feeling at all although it looked matte. Monistat feels a lot more lightweight and comfortable on the skin. Monistat is also fragrance free while Smashbox smells like cockroach.

With Smashbox, the pores did look smaller and forehead lines were smoothen out but the results were not as good as Monistat's. I've even put both products to the test with one side Monistat and another with Smashbox. After a very hot evening and a steamboat dinner, I asked the boyfriend which side of my face looked oilier, he pointed at the Smashbox's side. It would have been exciting enough if Monistat performed just as well as Smashbox but looks like Monistat is doing even better! You definitely can't beat the price either. Monistat's $7.99USD (1.5 oz) from Drugstore.com and Smashbox is a whopping $36USD (1 oz) from Sephora.com.

Need I say who's the winner?

Monistat's Ingredients:


Smasbox's Ingredients:

Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Isopropylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Carthamus Tinctorium (Safflower) Seed Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Water.


26 comments:

Jenn said...

I did a double take when I read your post title. haha

Great info! Never did really like the smashbox primer bc of the funny feel.

Jenn said...

The Smashbox one really smells like cockroach?!! Yikes!! >.<

Anyways i think i'll go with the Monistat one then... i don't really like getting that greasy feeling on the skin. Plus, it doubles up as a vajayjay cream! hahaha!! :D

Ida said...

super useful!

i was doubtful about trying monistat but i wanna try it now :) i also have eczema and those annoying lines on my forehead :)

seedchan said...

Actually, the chafing gel isn't really meant to be used down there (between the legs on the thighs maybe. But what exactly would be chafing you *right there*? o.0) It's more of a general-use product that happens to be made by a company who does yeast infection stuff.

Just sayin'.

(I do love your blog though <3)

Connie De Alwis said...

Jenn: The Monistat feels less funny.

Jenn: It does smell like cockroach >.<

Ida: Definitely worth the try since it's inexpensive :)

Seedchan: Thanks for the info but I've read the packaging so I'm well aware. I was only kidding, you know. I don't intend on using Monistat on my vagina O_o I bought it as a face primer.

Thanks for supporting my blog!

[ miss hazel ] said...

sounds cool! haha

beetrice said...

the "cockroach smell" reference just totally put me off the Smashbox..eeps!

next time you order the Monistat, let me know? (and I can't believe I just typed that!)

kay kamal said...

wait..if USD 7.99..is hw much in RM? still cnsidering 2 buy skin lingerie or sumthing else..help me!

LyNn said...

very interesting indeed.
hopefully my new bb cream wouldnt need another base though.

*cross fingers*

Connie De Alwis said...

Miss Hazel: It is :)

Bee: My next US spree is in August. I'll bring it on sunday for you to try try. hehe

Kay: Xe.com, woman!! Well, Skin Lingerie is an easily accessible primer

Lynn: You don't usually need a base with BB creams since they are already sort of like a base but with coverage. yeah...

Askmewhats said...

wow that is great for you! If I am not doing makeup on other people, I'll definitely try Monistat, but can you imagine pulling out the chaffing gel from Monistat on a wedding day? lol

Lucky you for being able to purchase this :D

kahani said...

I can't begin to tell you how much I wished this worked on me. Well it does. But it also breaks me out - this is how I tracked down my dimethicone allergy. =(

melian22 said...

Hmm...I have the Photo Finish Primer and it doesn't smell like cockroaches to me. :S But it looks like Monistat does a pretty good job of priming as well. More ways to save money!

Grace Chan said...

LOLOL
you know when i was going around to purchase the Monistat Chafing Gel i had no idea what it was for. So i asked the sales people if they had it. They always pointed the row with all the creams for you know.. and condoms. LOL. & when i found out the "real" purpose the company made this product for i was so embarrassed. I asked so many people... including several male assistance when i was looking for this. =X

I think i want to get one for myself too :]

Tine said...

Bugger. Another gem I missed out on when I was in the US. Gah!

Dee said...

I alawys wanted to try the Monistat Chafing Gel, but I'm hesitant to use since I hear that it can cause blemishes. Currently I use Bare Excentuals Prime Time and it works well. But I think when I run out, I might just give this a try. Thanks for the review hun.

jojoba said...

i love this review with all the comparison pix! :)

Asa said...

This is a very good review.

VexInTheCity said...

LOL @ Smashbox "smells like cockroach". Fab review, I'm gonna get the Monisat now and ditch the Smashbox from my Sephora basket!

The Miller Family said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this comparison! I have been reading about this all day. I have oily combo skin and I am breakout prone. Women are reporting that the Monistat does not increase breakouts & even better because of the matte to the touch finish it apparently works well w/ mineral foundation (my fav!). Try www.everydayminerals.com

Joy Chuah said...

wow..thx for tis review..i was looking for a reasonably priced good primer for my combo/oily skin..thank goodness i didn't get the smashbox..i remembered you mentioning Monistat before and googled you up..haha..thx alot Connie..going to order from Ryan now..wee...^^

pojz said...

Sorry for posting on an old post, but I wanted to say chafing between the thighs is common for runners!

Anonymous said...

you guys should try rimmel primer it works wonder, and i have very very sensative skin i break out every time i use make up (have try so so many make up brands n they make me break out ) so i only use rimmel primer and rimmel lasting finish mineral powder foundation and it doesnt make me break out.try it if you have very sensative skin like me

Anonymous said...

Is it okay to use monistat to revlon colorstay? :)

Jen said...

I don't think we have this product available in NZ T___T .. time to hunt for a v-jay gel ? XD *awkward* Thanks for the review :3 will definitely go to something similar when my smashbox primer runs out :D

Anonymous said...

hye... did this product can go well with heavy makeup like bridal and stage makeup... eizmaidi@yahoo.com

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy