Skin Deco

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eyebrow Filling Tutorial

Eyebrows have been conveniently ignored by many people just because they didn't seem as important as lashes or cheeks. With that belief in mind, at some points of our lives, we let our brows grow into a jungle or look balding. If you track back to my older posts, you'd notice that I've only cared about my eyebrows since 8 months ago! They're still not perfect and I'm learning new techniques as I go.

Anyway, I hope you'll find this tutorial helpful and good luck with them brows! Read on.

I still have very little confidence when it comes to shaping my own eyebrows so I'd usually get them shaped by the professionals (Empro and Shu Uemura) and maintain my brows by plucking off the stray hairs and following the shape created for me.

To fill in my brows I use:

My weakest brow is my right one since it has a pretty huge bald spot and the shape is not very obvious. To create the shape, start by drawing a line at the bottom of the eyebrow. Then, looking straight, I draw the "tail". When you look straight into the mirror, you can make sure that both your eyebrows match. Also, avoid raising your eyebrow when you are filling them. The stretched skin will cause the filling to look distorted. Your "tail" slant should be parallel with the slant of your eye. Too high and you'll look monstrous, too low and you'll look sad.

Once you get the bottom right, draw the upper brow line parallel with the bottom. If you make any mistakes, just clean off with a cotton bud and start again. It takes practice so don't give up!

Join the upper brow line with the lower. If the highest point of the eyebrow looks too high, just rub off the tip with a cotton bud. With the outline done, start coloring in the brow. I'm using a lighter brow color so that it does look too harsh. The e.l.f. Brow Kit has a gel on one side, which I use to fill in the emptiness and powder on the other side for me to set the gel and blend. For the inner brow, I place my brush vertically then drag the brush outwards.

After setting with eyebrow powder, I further blend and brush all the hairs in place with a spoolie. This is also handy when you've over-filled your brows and want to soften them. It may take some getting used to with filled eyebrows. At times you'd think that you look like Shin Chan but once you're used to groomed eyebrows, you'll realize that you can't be seen without them!


17 comments:

Gwen said...

Finally the brow filling tutorial is up! I have been using the powdered one and the pencil one, but i just can't seem to get it right. Thank you Connie! I finally can fill my brow properly now :)

Audrie said...

wow, your brows are like perfection! I suck at grooming my brows, I really should invest in a good brow pencil, brow powder just can't seem to achieve that level of detail. sigh.

Connie De Alwis said...

Gwen: You're welcome! I hope the tutorial works for you :D Sorry it took so long. Lol.

Audrie: The eyebrow pencil that I'm using costs only RM5! About USD1.30 and it's the best I've used so far. It does the job at least. So, I guess you don't need spensive stuff to work. try looking at brow pencils in Korean or Japanese cosmetic stores.

jude said...

Great tutorial! You do a wonderful job with your brows. xoxo

prettybeautiful said...

ooooooooooooops. i often forget abt my brows too! =/ i always cant get my tail right

kay kamal said...

im always ignoring em cz i dun hav the tyme 4 em..ill try it sometyme soon..tx!

Jenn said...

Great tutorial Connie!! Your brows look amazing!!!

I'm guilty of overplucking my brows all the time so i'm always filling them in with a brow pencil! :D I also cannot live without my MAC Brow Set to "gel" my brows in place because they grow in all directions.. yikes!! haha!! :D

Connie De Alwis said...

Jude: Thanks so much! Yours are definitely awesome too. Then again, every feature of you is!

Pretty: have to practice lor.. I used to suck at it too. hehe. now also not considered very good cuz i'm non consistent but I've gotten a lot better

Kay: you have to MAKE time for your brows!

Jenn: I'm guilty of that too :x I'm still looking for a brow gel that I really like. hmm.. MAC MAC MAC

LyNn said...

wonderful post.
am loving it :)
but still not quite sure of how to use the powder which are gel form though.
luckily mine both sides are powder

Tine said...

Thanks for the tutorial babes. Very well written with pictures. I was so fed up with mine, having to maintain the brows, which I'm hopeless in, that I had them embroidered :)

B said...

Connie honey, you have perfected brow artistry! They don't look too dark and look completely natural. Awesome job!

Connie De Alwis said...

Lynn: Just slap it on like you would with your powder.

Tine: Welcome! I'm the kind who doesn't like long term maintenance. It's like how I refuse to reload my Touch n Go even though I take the LRT frequently. Yeah, something's wrong with me.

B: Thank you! It's far from perfect but I'm still very flattered, Queen B ;)

fuzkittie said...

Great tutorial!! So clear and organized.

gio said...

Your brows look amazing! Thanks for the tutorial, it's very helpful!

Traclyn Yeoh said...

I love Daiso Auto Eyebrow Pencil! Using it too...

kavukz said...

claps2! im having trouble on my right brows too..kinda look cacat all the time...only managed to get it perfectly done, in once in the blue moon...:P

im so going to get the Daiso Auto Eyebrow pencil!

thanks for the tutorial, Connie.

Anonymous said...

hey im 12 and i want to do my eyebrows but i dont want to overpluck them and stuf.The first part of my eyebrow is that he hair is vertical but tthen the rest is horizontal.Do i just cut of all the vertical hair?(i pluck)

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy