Skin Deco

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Benefit Dupes by Shills

Seeing double? I thought I was too! I get very excited when I see dupes of high end products and Shills is apparently on a dupe-rampage with their Benefit dupes of Some Kind-A Gorgeous, Dr. Feelgood, Lyin Eyes and Boi-ing. Having read Muse's review on the Shills BB Records Flawless Foundation Cream, I did an impulse purchase of that and Miss Perfect Pores Hide, which dupes Dr. Feelgood. Very unlike Connie to impulse buy but curiousity got the better of me. Note to self: never shop at 3am.

Read on for the comparisons. You're itching to know, aren't you?

Even the packaging looks the same. No joke! Imitations should be frowned upon but RM48 versus RM129? Why pay more for something that just may work the same?

In the pan is a cream-textured foundation that when blended onto the skin, turns into powder. The size looks to be exactly the same as Some Kind-A Gorgeous. Very promising from the pan.

I borrowed Carmen's Some Kind-A Gorgeous. You can tell that she loves it from how it's being used!
Beneath the pan, there's a compartment for the sponge. Shill's sponge feels more like Dr. Feelgood's sponge.

When it comes to the color, Shills is more beige which should go with most Asian skin tones while Benefit has a more universal neutral undertone. Shills also looks lighter while Benefit is more skin-colored. Texture wise, Benefit is more creamy and sheer while Shills is thicker and gives more coverage.

Here comes the problem. Since Shills has such a light color, once applied, the foundation looks very very pasty and dry on my skin. Quite interestingly, the color self-adjusts to suit my skin tone after about 20 minutes and actually looked quite nice as it becomes less cakey-looking. Carmen (NC15) tried the product as well and it matched her skin tone immediately and the color didn't change after 3 hours so I'm certain that the color adjustment wasn't due to oxidation. This stuff is also super sweat-proof and waterproof, making beads of sweat float on top of the product instead of streaking it off.

I was certainly quite impressed with the product but I don't think it's for me. The color is too light and having to wait so long for it to adjust simply beats the purpose of having a fast-to-use foundation. The formula is also ultimately still a little too dry for my skin.

If you're NC25 (at least two shades lighter than my skin) and below with oily skin, I'm letting this product go. I'm selling it at RM40 used 3 times with free shipping. I bought it at RM48 and not inclusive of shipping. Drop me an e-mail at smellyocheese@gmail.com if you're interested.

Once again, I was very very curious! I already have Benefit's Dr. Feelgood so I really just wanted to know how the Shills Miss Perfect Pores Hide compares. I got myself a sample jar of the stuff. The original packaging looks exactly like Dr. Feelgood with the tin and sponge.

At first glance, the balm really looks similar to Dr. Feelgood but it's more balmy and doesn't give that powdery finish that Dr. Feelgood does. Because of that, I don't think it'll work very well as a make-up base since what makes Dr. Feelgood a base is that matte finish. However, Miss Perfect Pores Hide does seem to smoothen out pores better than Dr. Feelgood can so I think this would make a better pore eraser for before applying foundation.

I don't think I'll be using this product frequently either since well, according to Carmen, "Pores?? What pores?". Yeah.... I bought this for RM29 not inclusive of shipping and I'm letting this go at RM20 with free shipping. Once again, e-mail me at smellyocheese@gmail.com if you're interested.

Both products can be purchased from pei2 of lowyat.net

7 comments:

leslielovesmakeup said...

i saw a few of their products on blubearjan.com and was thinking the exact same thing that it looks like benefit's products!

Lilcarmen said...

tau pun tau pun..hiding pores?huh?pores?where?you are really 'butt-itchy'.grrrr..Don't simply waste money.

Save for your trip AND 'the' sales..bwahahahaha

actually I like the shills foundation pretty good..but it's a bit tad too dry..hmm~

Askmewhats said...

wow..that sounds like a great product!!!! Thanks for the review! Jots down to the long list (someday, if I go to Malaysia, someday!)

Connie De Alwis said...

Leslie: Shameless imitation!

Carmen: I know... I know... lol!!

Nikki: WE ARE WAITING for you to come to KL. WAITING!!! :D

Traclyn Yeoh said...

Wah look so retro ~ Me likey...

HaNNa_HuLLaBaLoo said...

Benefit Some Kinda Gorgeous Deep is my HG foundation, so I'm not planning to switch to any foundation anytime soon. Plus the dupe one from Shills is too light for my tone.

btw, LOL at the shameless imitation. LOL!!!

midnightxhoney said...

Hi! Did you think the Shills primer was too greasy? I have it and it feels really funky on my oily skin >.<

Post a Comment

Your comments will help encourage me so please don't hesitate to leave one.

However, I only ask that you'd take a look at the FAQ page before asking a question.

Thanks a bunch!

<3 Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
All content 2010 © Cornelia De Alwis| Blog Design by Graffiti Chicks|Graphics by Studio Gypsy